The best way to eat that is ...

elohiym

Smoked salmon (a.k.a. lox): The best way to eat smoked salmon is served on a toasted English muffin with cream cheese and topped with sliced raw onions.

I discovered a better version. Instead of just cream cheese, use a 50-50 mix of cream cheese and goat cheese. My local Costco had Kirkland brand goat cheese in stock so I thought I'd give it a try, and it was incredibly delicious.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
I am on "not to eat junk food too much" diet for quite some time now. So I can enjoy anything, no matter how it is cooked.

I can survive disaster time because I can enjoy just about anything.

Sorry for interruption.

carry on:)

Quincy

When I was younger I used to go frog gigging with a few friends. We would wade in the creek and spear 20 or 30 big bull frogs. Around 10 p.m. on a night with a new moon. Then came the prep.

On a wooden bench cut off the legs just above where they connect below the waist. Not too high or you sever part of the internal organs. Not too low or you end up with 2 legs instead of 2 connected legs. Next they must be skinned. This is easiest with a pair of pliers. Tightly grip the legs where they connect (with your hand) and use the pliers to grab the skin close to your fingers. Once you have acquired the knack all it takes is one good long pull to peal off the entire skin. Toss the legs into the waiting sheet pan on a bed of salt and sprinkle some more salt on top. Since they are fresh they will dance around a bit as the salt hits the still live nerve endings.

When finished with the skinning stir up some egg whites with your favorite seasonings and mix up some good breading in a large bowl. Dip each pair into the egg white and then the breading coating them completely and lay out into a dry sheet pan. I should have mentioned earlier that someone would start and stoke a fire with good hardwood. By now the fire should be almost down to good hot coals.
And another person would have wrapped and placed some large potatoes in the coals.

Place a large iron skillet on the fire and add some cooking oil. Pause now to open a nice large bottle of chilled wine and fill glasses or mugs. That should be sufficient time for the oil to get to temperature. If not, get a refill. Now put the breaded frog legs in the skillet. Watch and turn them when the meat is cooked half way through. That doesn't take long so pay attention and don't overcook.

Serve piping hot with lots of butter for the baked potatoes and a refill on the wine glasses. They are delicious. Some people say they taste a bit like gator tail. Others say it is closer to rattlesnake.

:)

That's some good stuff. That's how I eat gator, too. I can't say that I've caught my own gators and prepped them but yea, I can verify that this is good and it's similar to gator meat in flavor indeed.

rexlunae

I discovered a better version. Instead of just cream cheese, use a 50-50 mix of cream cheese and goat cheese. My local Costco had Kirkland brand goat cheese in stock so I thought I'd give it a try, and it was incredibly delicious.

That does sound amazing. I'm gonna have to try that.

zoo22

Pick a food, any food.

Tell us the best way to eat that food.

I'll go first.

Smoked salmon (a.k.a. lox): The best way to eat smoked salmon is served on a toasted English muffin with cream cheese and topped with sliced raw onions.

:plain:

... Wait, wha??

Sorry, you completely lost me at "English." That's where your post went all garbled and crazy like it was a post by republicanchick.

Lox, fresh bagel, red onion, tomato, capers. Cream cheese (or a scrambled egg) optional.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Hamburger...start with a marinated camp salad, then the burger...angus beef cooked medium set on a ciabatta bread roll, a light smattering of barbecued, pulled pork, thin onion and tomato, shoestring fries optional. Else, fries, tender hush puppies and plantain slices and a very cold beer to wash it down. I'm fond of pecan beer, but whatever works for you.

elohiym

That does sound amazing. I'm gonna have to try that.

Let me know how you like it.

Another thing I'm doing different that you might like to try, too, is preparing it with shallots instead of onions. The difference is subtle, but I think it's an improvement depending on the shallot. I have some French shallots in the garden now and look forward to trying them later in the year.

elohiym

beef and potatoes - just about anyway you want to fix 'em

Amen! Yesterday for lunch I had a New York strip steak with mashed potatoes and a fresh garden salad. The steak, prepared medium-rare, was seasoned only with salt, black pepper and garlic. I inhaled it.

elohiym

:plain:

... Wait, wha??

Sorry, you completely lost me at "English." That's where your post went all garbled and crazy like it was a post by republicanchick.

Lox, fresh bagel, red onion, tomato, capers. Cream cheese (or a scrambled egg) optional.

And I'm supposed to be the Jewish boy from the Bronx. :chuckle:

You'll be happy to know that I had my lox on bagels this weekend.

It's funny you should mention republicanchick because I was first exposed to English muffins by my Catholic friends in the Bronx.

elohiym

Hamburger...start with a marinated camp salad, then the burger...angus beef cooked medium set on a ciabatta bread roll, a light smattering of barbecued, pulled pork, thin onion and tomato, shoestring fries optional. Else, fries, tender hush puppies and plantain slices and a very cold beer to wash it down. I'm fond of pecan beer, but whatever works for you.

Pecan beer? Never heard of it until now. I'll have to try that.

Crowns&Laurels

BANNED
Banned
Forget marinade:

Give your steak copious amounts of seasoned salt and add liquid smoke and water to the pan. Pop a lit on it and steam fry.

Voila, tender and tasty steak in under ten minutes. Add cracked pepper and eat with cheap, lazy joy.

Quincy

My favorite way to have fries:

Slice some russets, play with garlic, onion, salt and paprika/cayenne/whatever you prefer powders in a cup of ap flour/water batter until you find a taste that suits you. Then you deep fry them in a cast iron skillet. Add some curry to your favorite ketchup to dip them in and enjoy.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Pecan beer? Never heard of it until now. I'll have to try that.
The Southern Pecan from the Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company is a pretty good brown ale. Sam Adams makes a Maple Pecan Porter I've heard is good too. I like it with the lunch I noted. Really works with the flavors.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Crawfish.
With the head in your left hand, and the tail in your right hand, slightly twist the body to break the tail loose.

Pinch the back of the tail hard , and then gently pry away the curved top of the shell, with all the segments coming off in one piece.

Remove the tail meat and eat.

Retrieve the head and suck out the yellow stuff, slightly pinching the carapace. (hepatopancreatic tissue, most flavorful part)

Drink beer. Jax is traditional, but whatever you like.

elohiym

My favorite way to have fries:

Slice some russets, play with garlic, onion, salt and paprika/cayenne/whatever you prefer powders in a cup of ap flour/water batter until you find a taste that suits you. Then you deep fry them in a cast iron skillet. Add some curry to your favorite ketchup to dip them in and enjoy.

Battered fries. :think:

I'll have to try that some time.

elohiym

The Southern Pecan from the Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company is a pretty good brown ale. Sam Adams makes a Maple Pecan Porter I've heard is good too. I like it with the lunch I noted. Really works with the flavors.

I'll hopefully try them both, but the Southern Pecan might be hard to get in the Pacific Northwest. Thanks.