The Heroic Gunslinger Fantasy

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Just be honest.

There is NO WAY to have the Second Amendment, AND have a nation where nobody ever gets SHOT.

DJ
And you are perfectly okay with doing nothing to prevent shootings. Times change. Guns are designed to kill and they do not seem to be treated with nearly the respect that they were when the second amendment was penned. Maybe its time to examine that a bit more closely and see if there some sort of active prevention that can be accomplished instead of reactive punishing.

Dan Emanuel

I have. I am pointing out that you are misrepresenting what has been said. I have guns and I very much want to keep them.
People are misrepresenting their own agenda; they act like they don't want to repeal the Second Amendment, even though they do.

DJ

Dan Emanuel

There is NO WAY to have the Second Amendment, AND have a nation where nobody ever gets SHOT.
And you are perfectly okay with doing nothing to prevent shootings...
Not if it means effectively neutering the Second Amendment, correct.
...Times change...
Uh-huh.
...Guns are designed to kill...
Firearms are designed to propel a small piece of metal really fast in a straight line. If a vital part of a human or animal is in its way, then it can kill.
...and they do not seem to be treated with nearly the respect that they were when the second amendment was penned...
I don't know if this is true or not. Do you have some evidence for this? My guess is that you're right about it, but it's only a guess.
...Maybe its time to examine that a bit more closely and see if there some sort of active prevention that can be accomplished instead of reactive punishing.
We've been examining the Second Amendment very carefully for over a century now, and we're examining it with greater scrutiny as time goes on. The Supreme Court has very recently weighed in on the issue, concluding that the NRA's interpretation is the correct 1. So we have to decide whether or not we even want the Second Amendment at all, not how to make firearms ownership and use so complicated and aggravating that nobody wants to own 1 anymore.

It's just dishonest to so stridently argue for the Second Amendment with your lips, and against the Second Amendment with your suggested legal changes.

DJ

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
I own a shotgun. According to FBI 2013 crime statistics, there were 308 murders committed with a shotgun and 1,490 murders committed with a knife or cutting instrument. Why should I be subject to a background check and training requirements in order to own a shotgun but not a knife?
Because to use a knife you must be up close and personal. To use a shotgun you only need be in range of the shot gun.

chair

Firearms are designed to propel a small piece of metal really fast in a straight line. If a vital part of a human or animal is in its way, then it can kill...

And automobiles are designed to spin their tires. If the tires touch a road, the car can move.

Washing machines are designed to fill up with water, shake a bit, then pump out the water. If clothes get inside, they could get cleaned.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Not if it means effectively neutering the Second Amendment, correct.
Uh-huh.
Firearms are designed to propel a small piece of metal really fast in a straight line. If a vital part of a human or animal is in its way, then it can kill.
I don't know if this is true or not. Do you have some evidence for this? My guess is that you're right about it, but it's only a guess.
We've been examining the Second Amendment very carefully for over a century now, and we're examining it with greater scrutiny as time goes on. The Supreme Court has very recently weighed in on the issue, concluding that the NRA's interpretation is the correct 1. So we have to decide whether or not we even want the Second Amendment at all, not how to make firearms ownership and use so complicated and aggravating that nobody wants to own 1 anymore.

It's just dishonest to so stridently argue for the Second Amendment with your lips, and against the Second Amendment with your suggested legal changes.

DJ
If your wife or child were shot and killed, would you still feel this way. Think carefully before you answer this question.

whitestone

food,thats the weapon of choice. Once upon a time man could tell satin to go fly a kite and just grow food and animals. Now the farms have been taken away and all the seed is g.m.o. and none of you know how to hunt. Food,when your babies cry from hunger you will bow,,,