The Heroic Gunslinger Fantasy

Dan Emanuel

You seem to have been kept quite safe so far. And the truth be told, you have no reason to suspect that you will not be protected with the same efficiency in the foreseeable future. So what is it, exactly, that you are so afraid of? I mean realistically, not in some paranoid fantasy of terrorists attacking your town, or government black-ops helicopters shooting at your house?...
Do you know what violent crime is? Do you know that you can easily find violent crime statistics for your home municipality, as well as those surrounding your home municipality? Go, look up this data for your home municipality, plus the surrounding municipalities to your home municipality, and you tell me, what actually happens, in your hometown, and in its neighboring towns?
...How did you manage to become an adult without learning that this is the purpose of having a government? This is what governments do, and are for: to balance your individual rights with everyone else's, and everyone's individual rights with the needs and responsibilities of society as a whole. And that to perform this function, government will have to tell you where your right to do as you please will have to stop, so that the equal rights of everyone else can be equally respected. And will have to tell you what your responsibilities to the well-being of society as a whole, are, and will coerce you to live up to them.

Telling you "no" is what governments are for. And we have all … I mean all human being throughout all human history, … have all determined that living together, under an organized system of "government" is far, FAR preferable to living every man for himself, and every man against every other, like dumb animals. Which is what results when we do not band together and organize and limit ourselves for the benefit or all.

How can you be an adult human being and not understand this most basic principal of social cooperation???

I just don't get it.
Don't you understand that the Second Amendment means that, no matter how many angry drunken misogynists shoot their girlfriends in a fit of irrational rage, or how many censored young men decide to shoot up a group of innocents, or whatever other horrible thing that people do with firearms; that none of that is any reason to infringe the right to keep and bear arms?

You just want to repeal the Second Amendment. It's OK to admit it.

DJ

Dan Emanuel

It's not true in any of them, as far as I know. If I am a convicted criminal, and I can't legally own a gun, I can go to any state that has weak background checks and so long as their check does not divulge that I am a convicted criminal, they can sell me a gun...
It's a federal background check.
...If I am a psychopath, and I am not legally allowed to own a gun, I can still go to an adjoining state where their background check will almost certainly not detect this information, and they will be allowed to sell me a gun...
Federal.
...Or, I can ask a friend to give or sell me a gun, and he can do that without asking or knowing that I am a convicted criminal or a psychopath who is not supposed to be allowed to own one...
Straw purchase, federal felony.
...Our current laws are basically useless. And they have been deliberately made that way so the gun manufacturers and the NRA can pretend we have gun regulation when we do not, and then proclaim that gun regulation doesn't work.
You can't fix what's wrong with us with laws.

That's not me; that's the Apostle Paul (Galatians 3:21 KJV).

DJ

Arthur Brain

Do you know what violent crime is? Do you know that you can easily find violent crime statistics for your home municipality, as well as those surrounding your home municipality? Go, look up this data for your home municipality, plus the surrounding municipalities to your home municipality, and you tell me, what actually happens, in your hometown, and in its neighboring towns?
Don't you understand that the Second Amendment means that, no matter how many angry drunken misogynists shoot their girlfriends in a fit of irrational rage, or how many censored young men decide to shoot up a group of innocents, or whatever other horrible thing that people do with firearms; that none of that is any reason to infringe the right to keep and bear arms?

You just want to repeal the Second Amendment. It's OK to admit it.

Wow...sounds just dandy...

:plain:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's not true in any of them, as far as I know. If I am a convicted criminal, and I can't legally own a gun, I can go to any state that has weak background checks and so long as their check does not divulge that I am a convicted criminal, they can sell me a gun.

If I am a psychopath, and I am not legally allowed to own a gun, I can still go to an adjoining state where their background check will almost certainly not detect this information, and they will be allowed to sell me a gun.

Or, I can ask a friend to give or sell me a gun, and he can do that without asking or knowing that I am a convicted criminal or a psychopath who is not supposed to be allowed to own one.

Our current laws are basically useless. And they have been deliberately made that way so the gun manufacturers and the NRA can pretend we have gun regulation when we do not, and then proclaim that gun regulation doesn't work.
Still
The person has not purchased the gun legally

Granite

Hall of Fame
Wow...sounds just dandy...

:plain:

With this kind of thinking why would the powers that be ever have any interest in disarming us? I think they prefer we just keep shooting each other up.

And again, they've been able to do everything they want in the most heavily armed nation on earth. The idea that anyone's coming for our guns is a total myth. They don't want them, and they don't need them.

PureX

Still
The person has not purchased the gun legally
But the gun was sold legally. And that's all the gun manufacturers, and their shills, the NRA, care about. They don't care about the gun buyer. They just want to sell as many guns as they can to as many people as they can convince to buy them. So the useless regulations we have are perfect for them. They create the illusion that we HAVE gun regulation when we don't. They allow anyone who wants to buy a gun to buy them, even criminals. And they can even blame the fact that they don't work on the regulations, and on the criminals, themselves, and then use that as their reasoning for fighting new regulations, or eliminating those we have now. So it's a win/win/win for the gun manufacturers. Which is not surprising, because they can buy whatever legislation they want, basically. Just like the pharmaceutical manufacturers do, and the oil companies do, and the insurance companies do, and the big banks do, and communications conglomerates do, and the … well, anyone with a big pile of money can do. Because government in the united States is for sale.

bybee

But the gun was sold legally. And that's all the gun manufacturers, and their shills, the NRA, care about. They don't care about the gun buyer. They just want to sell as many guns as they can to as many people as they can convince to buy them. So the useless regulations we have are perfect for them. They create the illusion that we HAVE gun regulation when we don't. They allow anyone who wants to buy a gun to buy them, even criminals. And they can even blame the fact that they don't work on the regulations, and on the criminals, themselves, and then use that as their reasoning for fighting new regulations, or eliminating those we have now. So it's a win/win/win for the gun manufacturers. Which is not surprising, because they can buy whatever legislation they want, basically. Just like the pharmaceutical manufacturers do, and the oil companies do, and the insurance companies do, and the big banks do, and communications conglomerates do, and the … well, anyone with a big pile of money can do.

You hate everyone don't you?

PureX

It's a federal background check.
Federal.
Yup, but if the information doesn't get on the list, as it often doesn't in many states, then the "check' isn't checking anything. And this is especially true for anyone who is not supposed to have a gun because of physical or mental status. In fact, my guess is that a blind man could buy a gun in every state in the country, legally.
Straw purchase, federal felony.
And yet anyone can buy a gun, and then sell it to his buddy privately, unchecked, in nearly every state in the nation, legally. If we can do that, there is no such thing as an "illegal straw purchase".
You can't fix what's wrong with us with laws.
And yet, all human beings throughout all time have determined that it is FAR preferable to live by the rule of laws than to live without them. So long as the laws are reasonable, sensible, fair and effective.

Our current gun laws are none of these, which is why they are not working. And the solution is not to eliminate the rule of law, it's to write laws that are reasonable, sensible, fair and effective. Same as we strive to do regarding all other social regulatory laws.

PureX

No law or amendment in this country is absolute, as you seem to be imagining, here. They are all intended to be balanced against, and to limit, each other.

But I can see that your mind has closed, and that you are fully entrenched in your own willful ignorance, now, and further discussion is a waste of time.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Let's deal with this quote first: "I do not think that you want crazies to shoot people, I think that you simply do not care."
That's the same thing you idiot.
No, desire and apathy are not the same thing. Want is desire and not caring is apathy and they are very different.

If I answer in the affirmative, I don't care if crazy people shoot people. If I answer in the negative, I become a tyrant like you.
You have already answered very clearly for the affirmative. Acknowledging that some people should not have guns and being willing to prevent them from getting them does not make one a tyrant, it makes them prudent.

Tell us, would you let me enter your home if I was open carrying my .45s? Why it why not?

No. You named no names. The answer would be the name of the next crazy person to do a mass shooting.
Correct. And I stated why it would not be possible for me to name names. I went on to say that there are doctors out there who may have that next name. For same strange reason you seem unable to grasp those concepts.

Because professionals will either do the state's bidding to declare all those the state does not like as crazy, or they will be cowed into doing the state's bidding.
Or not. Personally, I don't think that they would unless somebody held a gun to their heads.

Let me guess, you are going to claim that couldn't happen.
No, but I would put the probability of it happening as very low.

Really? Who are you talking about? Who are these "most likely to commit atrocities?" And don't give us a vague answer of "crazy people." Who exactly will have their right to defend themselves removed by the state?
Those that would abuse that right by being highly likely to commit mass Jude's instead of simply defending themselves.

The state removing rights... that's tyranny.
If and only if the state moved to remove the right universally. When the state reasonably removes the rights of those who threaten society it is called law enforcement. Those that rob or sell drugs or commit any number of crimes lose their inaliable right to freedom. Your right to say whatever you want, whenever you want wherever you want is far from absolute and reasonably so.

That's only because you assume what people are thinking and would have the state act accordingly. You're all into thought control. I haven't answered the question because it is a logical fallacy, and a more basic question must be answered first.
I made no such assumptions. What I said was that people who want to carry a gun in public should be trained and required to do annual recertification that would reasonably include a mental competence exam administered by a professional. It is a start and requires a great deal more thought to impliment, but it is a place to tart a discussion.

Well, if you call advocating tyranny courage, then I guess so.
As I have never advocated anything resembling tyranny, your comment is irrelevant.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No, desire and apathy are not the same thing. Want is desire and not caring is apathy and they are very different.
Again, it doesn't matter. I'm painted as a monster if I want crazy people to shoot people, or if I don't care if crazy people shoot people. Either way, it's the same.

Acknowledging that some people should not have guns and being willing to prevent them from getting them does not make one a tyrant, it makes them prudent.
Of course. Unless you want the state to be the arbiter on who should be able to defend themselves based on a psych eval, which is simply saying you want the state to remove the right of someone to defend themselves because the state doesn't like them.

Correct. And I stated why it would not be possible for me to name names. I went on to say that there are doctors out there who may have that next name.
If you don't know, then how will you be able to tell if someone is having their rights removed unjustly?

Also, please note, if there is a doctor that can prove who the next Elliot Rodger is, he can have the person arrested.

For same strange reason you seem unable to grasp those concepts.
That's not nice to say.

Or not. Personally, I don't think that they would unless somebody held a gun to their heads.
You have got to be kidding. Academia, where most psychologists have their souls, have been the lead in Eugenics, forced sterilization, post-birth killing of children, and advocacy of pedophilia.

No, but I would put the probability of it happening as very low.
Then you are a fool. The moment the state can get away with something tyrannical, it has done so. every. single. time.

Those that would abuse that right by being highly likely to commit mass Jude's instead of simply defending themselves.
That's what I said. You just restated the question. You need to be more specific which is the answer to the question.

If and only if the state moved to remove the right universally.
No. If the state removes a right from a single person, it starts down the road of tyranny. The more people it removes rights from, the more tyrannical it becomes. And once on the road, a government never goes back. Once on the road it needs to be replaced.

When the state reasonably removes the rights of those who threaten society it is called law enforcement. Those that rob or sell drugs or commit any number of crimes lose their inaliable right to freedom. Your right to say whatever you want, whenever you want wherever you want is far from absolute and reasonably so.
But until the threat is real, the state cannot remove a person's rights. So, please tell us who these people are, specifically, that should have their rights removed. And give us the objective measure you use to determine who these people are.

I made no such assumptions.
You assumed I answered in the affirmative when I didn't concede to your logical fallacy.

Maybe you should tell us what the logical fallacy you are committing is so we can see you even understand the concept.

As I have never advocated anything resembling tyranny, your comment is irrelevant.
Except for removing people's rights, you haven't advocated tyranny.

You have already answered very clearly for the affirmative.
I haven't. That would be you projecting. I'm asking you to clarify before I answer because the question is a logical fallacy.

And we've proven it is a logical fallacy because: If I answer in the affirmative, I don't care if crazy people shoot people. If I answer in the negative, I become a tyrant like you.

There is a more basic question that must be answered first in any logical fallacy of this type. You would have been curious what that more basic question is if you could think as well as me, or if you were interested in an honest conversation.

Granite

Hall of Fame
We've gotten to the point where people can't even say schizophrenics shouldn't have access to firearms.

This is a form of death-seeking insanity.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Again, it doesn't matter. I'm painted as a monster if I want crazy people to shoot people, or if I don't care if crazy people shoot people. Either way, it's the same.
To this point, you have not said anything that would indicate that you don't want "crazies" to have guns. In other words, you come across as a bit of a monster because we know that "crazies" with guns commit atrocities. We have a fair idea of the personality types that are most prone to do those things and you would let them buy guns.

Of course. Unless you want the state to be the arbiter on who should be able to defend themselves based on a psych eval, which is simply saying you want the state to remove the right of someone to defend themselves because the state doesn't like them.
Defend your self against what? Just how paranoid are you?

If you don't know, then how will you be able to tell if someone is having their rights removed unjustly?
The same way I know that person is qualified to drive, or sell insurance or cut my hair or provide legal representation or prepare construction drawings are anything else that requires a license. They have had to prove by test and, in some cases, demonstrate, that they are trained to do those things. I see gun ownership as no different.

Also, please note, if there is a doctor that can prove who the next Elliot Rodger is, he can have the person arrested.
IF the police. Note that that is a big if. The main trouble is, our laws are designed to punish, not prevent crime. Laws keep honest people honest but the criminal simply doesn't care.

That's not nice to say.
Sometimes the truth hurts.

You have got to be kidding. Academia, where most psychologists have their souls, have been the lead in Eugenics, forced sterilization, post-birth killing of children, and advocacy of pedophilia.
Psychiatry has its dark past. But they have learned from from that past. Is it perfect? No. But then, name one institution of man that is.

Then you are a fool. The moment the state can get away with something tyrannical, it has done so. every. single. time.
So sending people to prison for breaking laws is tyrannical because the state takes away Their unalienable right to life. liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Interesting position.

That's what I said. You just restated the question. You need to be more specific which is the answer to the question.
In either case, you have never directly answered the question. You just use inflammatory rhetoric to attempt to avoid a direct answer. Which is a very plain statement of your position.

No. If the state removes a right from a single person, it starts down the road of tyranny. The more people it removes rights from, the more tyrannical it becomes. And once on the road, a government never goes back. Once on the road it needs to be replaced.
The state routinely removes rights. You have been shown this many times on this thread. All you do is stick your fingers in your ears and say la la la in a lame attempt to ignore the simple facts. Societies can and do limit rights. They have to. As the old saying goes, your rights end where my nose begins.

But until the threat is real, the state cannot remove a person's rights. So, please tell us who these people are, specifically, that should have their rights removed. And give us the objective measure you use to determine who these people are.
You will have to talk to psychiatrists and sociologists to determine this answer. You need people who are trained to recognize personality disorders and mental conditions that predispose a person towards mass murder. That is where I would start, talking to those with the training to see what can be done to identify these people before they kill.

You assumed I answered in the affirmative when I didn't concede to your logical fallacy.
You have. Repeatedly. You couch the second amendment in terms of self defense and state that everybody has the right to self defense. That is an affirmative answer.

Maybe you should tell us what the logical fallacy you are committing is so we can see you even understand the concept.
There is no logical fallacy. The wife beater fallacy assumes facts not in evidence and misleads people because of that. The question I have asked deals with real world, documented situations. We have seen it over and over and over. So the question is real, should people who are predisposed towards mass murder have unfettered access to guns? Note that predisposed covers mental conditions, personality disorders, drug dealers, gang members and terrorists. Should all of these people have unfettered access to guns?

Except for removing people's rights, you haven't advocated tyranny.
As noted, its only tyranny if I try to take it away from everybody. I have not and do not advocate that. I have and do advocate for appropriate training and licensing to carry a gun in public and I would like to see a better way to try to identify those people who are most likely to commit an atrocity before they do.

I haven't. That would be you projecting. I'm asking you to clarify before I answer because the question is a logical fallacy.
As noted above, it is an actual question based on real world examples and facts.

And we've proven it is a logical fallacy because: If I answer in the affirmative, I don't care if crazy people shoot people. If I answer in the negative, I become a tyrant like you.
That doesn't make it a fallacy, that just makes it a very hard question to answer honestly because I am asking you to publicly state your position. You are afraid to do so you use incendiary language to make your self feel better about not answering.

There is a more basic question that must be answered first in any logical fallacy of this type. You would have been curious what that more basic question is if you could think as well as me, or if you were interested in an honest conversation.
If you think there is a more basic question, please, impress us all with your better thinking.

Dan Emanuel

Yup, but if the information doesn't get on the list, as it often doesn't in many states, then the "check' isn't checking anything...
Do you have any evidence that criminal information "often doesn't" "get on the list?"
...And this is especially true for anyone who is not supposed to have a gun because of physical or mental status...
Like what?
...In fact, my guess is that a blind man could buy a gun in every state in the country, legally...
I don't know. :idunno:
...And yet anyone can buy a gun, and then sell it to his buddy privately, unchecked, in nearly every state in the nation, legally...
Not if "his buddy" is a felon; that's still a felony.
...If we can do that, there is no such thing as an "illegal straw purchase"...
Yes there is.
...And yet, all human beings throughout all time have determined that it is FAR preferable to live by the rule of laws than to live without them. So long as the laws are reasonable, sensible, fair and effective.

Our current gun laws are none of these, which is why they are not working. And the solution is not to eliminate the rule of law, it's to write laws that are reasonable, sensible, fair and effective....
You do not believe that the Second Amendment is "reasonable, sensible, fair," or, "effective." Just admit it, and then we can proceed.

DJ

Granite

Hall of Fame
When the blind and crazy can buy guns then no, that shouldn't strike anyone as "sensible."

Dan Emanuel

No law or amendment in this country is absolute, as you seem to be imagining, here...
No, I'm not imagining that; I agree with this.
...They are all intended to be balanced against, and to limit, each other.

But I can see that your mind has closed, and that you are fully entrenched in your own willful ignorance, now, and further discussion is a waste of time.
Just admit that you want the Second Amendment repealed and we can proceed.

DJ

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Just admit that you want the Second Amendment repealed and we can proceed.
Nobody is saying that they want to repeal the 2nd amendment. People are saying that they would like to see come changes that make the 2nd amendment better fit the realities of the 21st century.