The Heroic Gunslinger Fantasy

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
and she is noteworthy why?

is it because she's a rare anomaly that you're trying to present as typical?
Is she really a rare anomaly? I'm not sure. How many people who are carrying guns are looking and hoping for an opportunity to use it? I bought my first gun at the Tanner Gun Show. First pistol ever with absolutely no training before hand. In most of Colorado I am allowed to open carry that gun. If you saw me with a gun, would you trust me to use it appropriately? There is no requirement on me to qualify with that gun let alone re-qualify. Just buy it and I'm good to go.

Now, lets say I want to get a concealed carry permit. Now I do have classes I am required to take. Once. Once I have the permit, I can buy as many guns as I want and conceal carry any one of them. Say I qualify on a .22 single action revolver. Then I go buy a 1911 .45 and start carrying it instead. Was the one class I had, say, five years ago sufficient to qualify me to carry a .45? There is no requirement for me to re-qualify periodically nor is there a requirement for me to qualify for each gun I may carry.

So how rare is pistol Annie really?

PureX

I completely agree but can't say I'm too optimistic. The cowboy mentality's taken over the responsible marksman mindset.
Sadly, the marketing of fantasies has become big business. And big business now owns the media and the government, alike. So there is very little hope of any reasonable resolution to these 'righteous gunslinger' fantasies and their deadly fallout anytime soon. Nor is there any real hope of combatting the absurd misinformation and rationalizations that go along with them. Nor is there any hope that our politicians will suddenly start turning down the bribe money offered to them by these big businesses for maintaining those fantasies as a rule of law.

So sadly, there is little reason to be hopeful, period.

In a democracy, creating and controlling people's fantasies is everything!

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
First, it is an amendment right. Second, there is a rise in distrust of government who currently are using force, in courts and often with physical force as well, to enforce their agendas over and against the people they are supposed to serve...

...Third, they'll get our guns when they pry them from our cold, dead hands (Lk 22:36).
23.gif

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
If somebody is pulling a gun in public, I want that person to have more than just basic core competency.

Isn't it sad that peoples' God-given rights aren't based on what you want? If rights were based on competency, a good majority of liberals wouldn't have a right to speak freely.

It is interesting to note that, according to the article, the secrete service has never fired a shot in defense of the president. They have training and guns that we can only dream of and they have never fired a shot.

Irrelevant. Every move that the President takes is pre planned. Extensive security planning goes into his travel plans with the assistance of local and State Police.

Even though they allegedly haven't fired a shot (we don't know what's happened behind the scenes when they investigate assassination plots), they won't hesitate to do so to save the President's life.

reagan11-620x421.jpg

The same goes for private citizens, they shouldn't hesitate when it comes to defending their and their family's lives.

Arthur Brain

Isn't it sad that peoples' God-given rights aren't based on what you want? If rights were based on competency, a good majority of liberals wouldn't have a right to speak freely.

If competence is the yardstick then you'd be lucky to get a job as a toilet cleaner...

:plain:

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Rights do not come without responsibility. I have the right to free speech. I do not have the right to yell fire in a crowded theater.

Irrelevant. Every move that the President takes is pre planned. Extensive security planning goes into his travel plans with the assistance of local and State Police.

Even though they allegedly haven't fired a shot (we don't know what's happened behind the scenes when they investigate assassination plots), they won't hesitate to do so to save the President's life.

reagan11-620x421.jpg

The same goes for private citizens, they shouldn't hesitate when it comes to defending their and their family's lives.
When president Reagan was shot, it was not planned. The secret service all drew guns yet did not fire a single shot. They prevented collateral damage.

Like wise, if you are going to defend your family, or home Depot, you have the reasonably to prevent collateral damage. If I drew my gun to defend home Depot and accidentally shot your kid in the head, would you be okay with how I exercised my right?

Lon

Lets take a look at that amendment then:
The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Does "well regulated militia" mean that anybody who wants a gun should own have one, or more? Or does "a well regulated militia" mean something more. How is militia defined?

Militia

A group of private citizens who train for military duty in order to be ready to defend their state or country in times of emergency. A militia is distinct from regular military forces, which are units of professional soldiers maintained both in war and peace by the federal government.

It seems to me that the second amendment places certain responsibilities on gun owners that the government has the authority to enforce.
Read more from your own Cornell Law link. They break down, legally, why it applies in connection with the 14th amendment etc.

Granite

Hall of Fame
She risked killing someone (including bystanders) to stop someone fleeing with items from Home Depot? :plain:

Uh...yes. Yes, she did. And I'm sure this maniac thought she was doing the right thing.

Years ago, my father was a real estate agent in Michigan and often had need to carry a good amount of cash on his person. He requested a concealed carry permit and was denied, despite the personal references of a state rep and his broker, who happened to be a Freemason in good standing with the community. Point being--at least back then--a concealed carry's not exactly easy to come by in the Wolverine State. Maybe things have eased up over the years but I'd be very interested in knowing how exactly this woman was licensed to carry and what her background is.