Study: Liberals Have Less Self-Control Because They Dont believe they have it..

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Prov. 24:7 ...Break it down

mc-hammer.gif

gcthomas

Im still waiting for you to post what you claimed,

You extrapolated a study about solving anagrams to one in your mind that showed that conservatives make better moral choices. You are mistaken, still.

and a link to what you called the original paper on it and the comparisons to back what you claimed, i dont see any evidence yet from you.

Find the paper here (yes, the one you referenced but didn't read)

But whats new, you often object to an article, but when pressed to show what you are objecting, you change the subject or leave.

There are some people it is only worth explaining things to once ...

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Still waiting for you to prove your claim, post it, compare it with the claims in the op article, and show what was "slanted'

The actual paper has results that read rather differently from the slant given. It concluded that a belief in free will gave conservatives more self control, south the converse true for Liberals. The graphs showed that Liberals and conservatives had the same potential for self control.

Actually compare and contrast, thanks. This is now the 4th request for you to back what you said. You know, take some responsibility to be able to back your claims.

gcthomas

You still think that the paper supports your contention that conservatives make better moral choices?

Hint: the answer in on the paper you referenced but didn't bother to read. That is a common problem with people making rhetorical arguments, but you should try to overcome that weakness.

Get back to me if you ever read the material you referenced.

:up:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
You still think that the paper supports your contention that conservatives make better moral choices?

Hint: the answer in on the paper you referenced but didn't bother to read. That is a common problem with people making rhetorical arguments, but you should try to overcome that weakness.

Get back to me if you ever read the material you referenced.

:up:

You mean get back with this thread when you decide to back your claims instead of trolling as usual. (i know you cant)

The onus is on you to provide substantiation for your claim, not link drop and expect others to find your information.

PS thank you though, youve given a living witness example of liberal thought and lack of accountability with your dodge and weave :thumb:

gcthomas

You mean get back with this thread when you decide to back your claims instead of trolling as usual. (i know you cant)

The onus is on you to provide substantiation for your claim, not link drop and expect others to find your information.

PS thank you though, youve given a living witness example of liberal thought and lack of accountability with your dodge and weave :thumb:

Oh, since you asked so nicely...

Your link is to a report of an interview with the lead author of the study, but it is heavily edited. There is a link to their source interview, in which the author says:
"However, the findings showed that conservatives outperformed liberals only when participants believed freewill has a beneficial impact on self-control. When participants believed freewill could undermine self-control, liberals outperformed conservatives.

'This finding is especially interesting because research to this point has focused only on the positive outcomes of believing in freewill,' says Clarkson. 'However, one could imagine a host of situations where knowing you are responsible for your actions could lead to frustration, anxiety and other negative emotions that could impair self-control. In these contexts, these findings would suggest liberals will demonstrate greater self-control.'"​

He is well aware that his research didn't say that conservatives were better than liberals in general, and that liberals can exhibit the better self control in a variety of situations. The fig 2 in the paper on the authors own website (it is free to download - all hail Google) shows the effects are equal in size for Conservatives and Liberals.

For anything I've missed let me know, then I'll re-Google the paper and read it for you.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Oh, since you asked so nicely...

Your link is to a report of an interview with the lead author of the study, but it is heavily edited. There is a link to their source interview, in which the author says:
"However, the findings showed that conservatives outperformed liberals only when participants believed freewill has a beneficial impact on self-control. When participants believed freewill could undermine self-control, liberals outperformed conservatives.

'This finding is especially interesting because research to this point has focused only on the positive outcomes of believing in freewill,' says Clarkson. 'However, one could imagine a host of situations where knowing you are responsible for your actions could lead to frustration, anxiety and other negative emotions that could impair self-control. In these contexts, these findings would suggest liberals will demonstrate greater self-control.'"​

He is well aware that his research didn't say that conservatives were better than liberals in general, and that liberals can exhibit the better self control in a variety of situations. The fig 2 in the paper on the authors own website (it is free to download - all hail Google) shows the effects are equal in size for Conservatives and Liberals.

For anything I've missed let me know, then I'll re-Google the paper and read it for you.

Still not seeing what you claimed, try again.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I remember when the GOP congressman Joe Wilson shouted out "You LIE!" to Obama during the president's State of the Union Speech to Congress. When he was later forced to apologize by the press, Wilson said "I let my emotions get the better of me."

Brain scans show that conservatives are more inclined to respond to fear, and to be more decisive than liberals. So that kind of comes with the territory.

He let his amygdala do what his right cingulate cortex should have done.

Political Orientations Are Correlated with Brain Structure in Young Adults
http://2012election.procon.org/sourcefiles/Kanai_Political_Orientations.pdf

gcthomas

The actual paper has results that read rather differently from the slant given.

You claimed that the paper supported the idea that accountability (to God?) was the cause of the differences. It turns out it is ATTITUDE to belief in free will. The partial rewriting of the interview with the author has the caveats still in place in the original interview. WHy were they left out I wonder?

It concluded that a belief in free will gave conservatives more self control, south the converse true for Liberals.

If you can't see that in the interview quote, then you need reading lessons. It is explicitly written - "When participants believed freewill could undermine self-control, liberals outperformed conservatives." and "these findings would suggest liberals will demonstrate greater self-control.'"

The graphs showed that Liberals and conservatives had the same potential for self control.

See the graph in the linked paper - it is very clear. Have you read your source material yet?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
You claimed that the paper supported the idea that accountability (to God?) was the cause of the differences.

No, i didnt, no wonder you cant seem to back your claim, you dont even understand what we are talking about.

I gave my own opinion on why i think it came out that way, i never claimed the paper said anything about accountability.

Wow, more liberal example of weirdness, totally, how you extrapolated that lie from me commenting on an article is beyond insane.

Keep proving what i said though! You are now blaming me for your inability to read and or reason correctly by claiming i said something i didnt.

gcthomas

I gave my own opinion on why i think it came out that way, i never claimed the paper said anything about accountability.

I said that YOU said the paper supported your ideas, NOT that the PAPER said it supported the accountability idea.

Sheesh. So busy arguing you forget to think.

Conservatives. :doh:

gcthomas

No, i didnt say that either, wow you extreme liberals lack a sound mind in many areas.

I notice that you say nothing about the fact that my comments about the paper are entirely supported by the evidence. Why are you uninterested in situations where liberals outperform conservatives?

Selaphiel

I notice that you say nothing about the fact that my comments about the paper are entirely supported by the evidence. Why are you uninterested in situations where liberals outperform conservatives?

That is probably filed under "inconvenient truths".

gcthomas

That is probably filed under "inconvenient truths".

If only those who quote from partial reports in publications with a view to push would have the integrity to check their sources before putting the full power of their faith behind it.

It is what all good journalists do, and for the good reason that they want to avoid embarrassing retreats.

This Charming Manc

Hasn't the my tribes better than your tribe argument got boring yet?

"all liberals are stupid ..."
"conservatives are better."
"liberal are evil."

isn't the dialogue as boring for you?

gcthomas

A4T in NegRep said:
Its really sad how dishonest and disingenuous you are, i hope that changes for you one day

I notice that you still say nothing about the fact that my comments about the paper are entirely supported by the evidence. You asked for me to supply evidence and now you are strangely silent, except to lay an insult in a NegRep.

Why are you uninterested in situations where liberals outperform conservatives? Doesn't the truth fit with your world-view, so you will reject it and those who deliver it?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I notice that you still say nothing about the fact that my comments about the paper are entirely supported by the evidence. You asked for me to supply evidence and now you are strangely silent, except to lay an insult in a NegRep.

Why are you uninterested in situations where liberals outperform conservatives? Doesn't the truth fit with your world-view, so you will reject it and those who deliver it?

I read the paper, wasn't all that impressed with the methodology. Did you see anywhere where they gave an operational definition for liberal and conservative? Also did I miss the numbers for subjects with each ideology? I didn't see them listed on the demographic table. Small samples, convenience samples in two of the studies, and interesting bias statements by one of the authors:

"For conservatives, their default when they experience struggle is to dig deep."

"You tell liberals that belief in free will is bad and they are like, 'Good, I don't have it anyway."