Study: Liberals Have Less Self-Control Because They Dont believe they have it..

gcthomas

What part of you haven't compared and contrasted do you not understand even with your admitted comprehension issue?

You said you couldn't find the link to the paper, even though it was in the post on page 3, and I reproduced it for you.

I expected a grudging apology, but you come back with demands as if you have been right all along.

Did you still not find the link the paper even now? Can you not see that even the abstract bears little resemblance to the article title claim?

As I said right at the beginning: you should have started be reading the paper for yourself instead of believing a third hand partial rewriting of an interview.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I consider myself a semi-conservative, moderate due to my views on abortion, the death penalty and hate crime legislation. My views on gay marriage and support of women are why some would label me as liberal.

OK. So in that case you are a bit like me. You are too intelligent to be put in such simple boxes as left, right, liberal, conservative, etc. I have a number of moral ideals, especially in terms of social structures, that would classify me as left leaning in political terms but in economic terms my views would be classified as right leaning. I also support women's rights because they obviously need such support, not because I am liberal. I guess you are the same. We just differ on the homosexual stuff. Perhaps, like me, you also tend to think of those (at least some) who like to classify themselves in this kind of way as somehow less than fully authentic human beings. It's like they are missing something by staying only in one very narrow sub-culture: left, right, con, lib,neo-con, pink, whatever. I feel the same way about transsexuals: if you define yourself merely as woman or merely as man, then you are missing out on a lot.
So no, you are not what I would call a liberal. And yes, I would suggest that self-discipline is generally a big issue for them. It's as I said because they don't see themselves or others as objective beings but subjective beings and there is therefore less of a desire to conform to external structures.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
Weird, i see no links to the original study, and no compare and contrast and nowhere showing what is claimed to be inaccurate. Next.
DISCUSSION: These findings support the importance of individuals’ lay beliefs regarding the effects of freewill on self-control performance. In particular, conservatives showed greater self-control
when led to believe that freewill benefits self-control, whereas liberals showed greater self-control when led to believe
that freewill undermines self-control.
Moreover, the lay theory manipulation did not affect individuals’ endorsement of freewill
(see SI Text), a finding that only further supports the claim that the self-control success of conservatives and liberals stems from
the value attributed to freewill beliefs for effective self-control. Said differently, these findings are consistent with the documented
discrepancy in endorsement of freewill beliefs and demonstrate the importance of these lay beliefs in determining when conservatives
and liberals will exhibit greater self-control.

http://www.joshuaclarkson.com/pdf/The self control consequences of political ideology.pdf
The graph on page 3 of the study indicates that the degree self-control exhibited by conservatives and liberals is virtually identical - the only difference based on their perception as to how freewill effects self-control.

"Angel4Truth" would have known this 144 posts back if she had actually taken the time to read the original study instead of trying to bluff her way based on the self-serving interpretation presented in The Christian Post.

To add insult to injury, she then proceeds to pass judgment on the "accountability" of liberals - based on conclusions that were never stated in the original study no-less.

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame
I though you'd be flattered by the immitation. But as long as giving me a NegRep helps you to calm down from being caught out, carry on.

You never did apologise for the false accusation on supplying the link, dit you? Must hurt.

Don't hold your breath.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I though you'd be flattered by the immitation. But as long as giving me a NegRep helps you to calm down from being caught out, carry on.

You never did apologise for the false accusation on supplying the link, dit you? Must hurt.

I didnt say you didnt post a link, i said you didnt compare and contrast the information with the op and show what you claimed is wrong, in fact what you actually did was say basically the same thing the op says.

I said i am not looking for information you claimed, its up to you to present that.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Hmmm. Looks like you did say I hadn't provided a link to the study.

Your mistake. Get over yourself.

Where does that say link? You didn't post the information you objected to from it here, you posted a link.

No one should have to go looking for your claim.

You do know how to copy the relevant information, and quote from the op and contrast them dont you?

gcthomas

Where does that say link? You didn't post the information you objected to from it here, you posted a link.

No one should have to go looking for your claim.

You said 'the study', not 'the information'. What did you expect me to do, cut'n'paste the whole text of the paper?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
You said 'the study', not 'the information'. What did you expect me to do, cut'n'paste the whole text of the paper?

More diversion.... Face it, nothing in the op is inaccurate. Which is why you are hard pressed to do what i asked. *back your claim*

Now again, untill you actually back your claim, nothing to discuss.

gcthomas

More diversion.... Face it, nothing in the op is inaccurate. Which is why you are hard pressed to do what i asked. *back your claim*

How can we discuss a paper you have not read? There is no need for a compare and contrast, since it is blindingly obvious to those posters who have read it from my link that the third hand report in your OP was not an accurate account.

Read the paper you brought up in post one, and all will be revealed.

Granite

Hall of Fame
How can we discuss a paper you have not read? There is no need for a compare and contrast, since it is blindingly obvious to those posters who have read it from my link that the third hand report in your OP was not an accurate account.

Read the paper you brought up in post one, and all will be revealed.

She's not going to.