Study: Liberals Have Less Self-Control Because They Dont believe they have it..

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Study: Liberals Have Less Self-Control Because They're Less Likely to Believe They Have Self-Control

Conservatives have more self-control than liberals, according to research published this week in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, and the result is likely due to conservatives being more likely to believe that they have self-control.

Researchers conducted three different experiments for the study, "The self-control consequences of political ideology."

The first experiment, with 147 undergraduates, found that conservatives were quicker at completing a modified "Stroop test," a common test used in psychology to measure the ability to focus attention on a task.

The same test was used in the second experiment, with 176 undergraduates at a different university. They again found that conservatives were faster, but they also found that the conservatives were more likely to believe in free will, or that they were largely responsible for their own outcomes.

In the third experiment, 135 Americans recruited online were asked to complete several anagrams with varying complexity. The participants were told they could spend as much time as they wanted on the task. The conservatives chose to spend more time than the liberals.

The participants in the third experiment were also asked to read a fake article before the test. Some were given a fake article saying that people who believe in free will experience negative feelings that harm self-control. The rest were given a fake article saying that belief in free will was beneficial.

When the participants believed that freewill helped their self-control, conservatives outperformed liberals, but among those who read the fake study with negative conclusions about free will, liberals outperformed conservatives.

In explaining the significance of the findings to Science Daily, Joshua John Clarkson, assistant professor of marketing at the University of Cincinnati, said that conservatives have more self-control because they are more likely to believe that they have self-control.

"Ultimately, however, it all comes down to believing whether or not you can control your own behavior, and what we're finding is that conservatives are more likely to believe they can control their own behavior," he said.

Regarding the conservatives who read the fake study, Clarkson told The Los Angeles Times they likely were second-guessing themselves, which took up brain power and diverted their attention from the task.

"For conservatives, their default when they experience struggle is to dig deep. But if all of a sudden you have a struggle, and then you think you are getting in your own way, you may start second-guessing yourself," he said.

For liberals, on the other hand, believing that a belief in free will was harmful gave them comfort because they did not believe in free will to begin with.

"You tell liberals that belief in free will is bad and they are like, 'Good, I don't have it anyway,'" Clarkson added.

Besides Clarkson, the other authors are Ashley Otto and Frank Kardes, also at the University of Cincinnati; John Chambers, from the Psychology Department at Saint Louis University; Edward Hirt, from the Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences at Indiana University; and Christopher Leone, from the Psychology Department at the University of North Florida.

Well, doesn't that just explain a lot.

Its about accountability.

GFR7

Liberal fatalism serves their purposes; free will is a hindrance to most liberal campaigns and programs.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Liberal fatalism serves their purposes; free will is a hindrance to most liberal campaigns and programs.

yes, if you admit you have free will, you then become accountable for your choices and actions. We cant have that.

gcthomas

The actual paper has results that read rather differently from the slant given. It concluded that a belief in free will gave conservatives more self control, south the converse true for Liberals. The graphs showed that Liberals and conservatives had the same potential for self control.

Jose Fly

The actual paper has results that read rather differently from the slant given.

What? You mean the Christian Post deliberately slanted their coverage to make liberals look bad? I'm shocked I tell you...shocked!! :shocked:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
The actual paper has results that read rather differently from the slant given. It concluded that a belief in free will gave conservatives more self control, south the converse true for Liberals. The graphs showed that Liberals and conservatives had the same potential for self control.

Post it and post the differences, contrast both articles, your word on it isnt good enough- youve made a claim, back it up.

gcthomas

The paper just seems to say that believing that free improve self control aids Conservatives, while believing that free will harms self control aids Liberals.

I don't think it means what you are reading into it. Have you read the actual paper?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
The paper just seems to say that believing that free improve self control aids Conservatives, while believing that free will harms self control aids Liberals.

Which is exactly what it says in the op article, that you complained about, yet wont post your information or back your false claim.

I don't think it means what you are reading into it. Have you read the actual paper?

What did i read into it? Let me know when you can post the information you claimed and then contrast it, showing your claim in action.

gcthomas

What did i read into it? Let me know when you can post the information you claimed and then contrast it, showing your claim in action.

Your reference to accountability for choices and actions in posts #1 and #3 suggests that you have extrapolated the conclusions to moral choices. Isn't that the case? If you didn't believe that then why do you find the results interesting enough to post about?

The results reported are marginally significant if you look at the CIs, and only refer to the subjects' willingness to persist with pointless anagram problems and such like. So it is a weak study completely unrelated to actual behavioural self control issues in the real world.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Your reference to accountability for choices and actions in posts #1 and #3 suggests that you have extrapolated the conclusions to moral choices. Isn't that the case? If you didn't believe that then why do you find the results interesting enough to post about?

The results reported are marginally significant if you look at the CIs, and only refer to the subjects' willingness to persist with pointless anagram problems and such like. So it is a weak study completely unrelated to actual behavioural self control issues in the real world.

Im still waiting for you to post what you claimed, and a link to what you called the original paper on it and the comparisons to back what you claimed, i dont see any evidence yet from you.

But whats new, you often object to an article, but when pressed to show what you are objecting, you change the subject or leave.

Red_Dirt

Classic clinical techniques applied to enduring stereotypes, in a creative way, I might add. The term stereotype has been made into a dirty word, but it is really not.

Belief systems, therefore, may affect performance. The accepted ideas of the conservative value system include accountability and free will. The stereotypical conservative would rather go hungry than accept welfare. His hunger drives him out of the house, on to the pavement, to get a job. His value system, or pride, the motivator.

Interesting study and conclusion. One of which is being a liberal could be hazardous to one's health.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Adam immediately became a Leftist (Eccl 10:2, Jn 10:10). It's that woman you gave me (Ge 3:12, Rom. 5:12–19, Jas 1:14).

tumblr_m8gir7SGyX1qj2nfu.jpg

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Liberals might be less likely to grow up in an authoritarian, obedience-based family. These sorts of dynamics make original thinking and critical sensibility hard to acquire.

Plus well-raised liberals might be frequently taught to instill self-discipline rather than acquire discipline just because an authority figure demands it. Young kids need to have the support to become unafraid of strong, destructive feelings and to be encouraged to fully feel them, recognize and name them and learn to express them like adults.

I remember when the GOP congressman Joe Wilson shouted out "You LIE!" to Obama during the president's State of the Union Speech to Congress. When he was later forced to apologize by the press, Wilson said "I let my emotions get the better of me."

Exactly.

It's rather like growing up in a democracy or growing up in a dictatorship. When we feel put down and disrespected by our parents, we tend to push back and feel a lot of anger and revenge.

But I could be wrong here, too.