Study: Homophobes Might Be Hidden Homosexuals

Quetzal

People have been conditioned into discussing sexual orientation as being fixed and unchangeable, so most of the people you meet who have made the choice will not think in terms they have made a choice about their sexual orientation. Instead most people that are aware a choice has been made will say something like the following:
  • "I thought I was heterosexual, but found out I am really bisexual."
  • "I am not bisexual, I am pansexual."
  • "Well, yes I just had sex with a woman, but it didn't 'cure' me. I am still a homosexual."
  • "I am not a fag because I let a guy give me a blowjob. I like women, not guys."

If you have heard anyone say something like those statements, then you have met people that have changed their sexual preference (the so-called "sexual orientation"), even if it was only for a single encounter.
I would argue that their sexual orientation has been that way all along. But due to social pressure, duress and other factors, it was suppressed.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
and, as everyone knows, entering into a sexual relationship is a form of contract :doh:
People who understand how the law relating to it works, what it's founded on and why kids can't do all sorts of things legally, from literally contracting for services to having sex. Capacity, the lack of which makes informed consent to all sorts of things impossible, is at the heart of this discussion.

other than channeling Granite, one of the dimmer posters here, your constant refrain of the above reminds me...
Where this sort of...let's call it a rebuttal, if in the way a refrigerator hanging from an indifferent four year old is "art", only underscores your inability to counter and reliance on posturing in lieu of rationality.

all retards who can't see the obvious right in front of them
What's right in front of you is an ongoing history of legal principle and law that in no part supports your smug, alarmist horsefeathers.

zoo22

You people are still coughing out the same old "what is a homosexual anyway?" posts? I think there are plenty of those at TOL, aren't there? This thread is about homophobes and what might drive them, like whether they might be repressed homosexuals themselves, or maybe have a psychological disorder.

New Study Suggests Connections Between Homophobia And Mental Disorders

"'We found that psychoticism represented an important risk factor for homophobia, demonstrating that pathologic personality traits are involved in homophobic attitudes,” the study explains. Psychoticism embodies various characteristics, but above all, “severe psychopathologic conditions, such as delusion, isolation, and interpersonal alienation, but also hostility and anger.” Homophobia could be partially linked by “pathologic trait of personality,” meaning that various disorders of relationship and thought could be predictive of homophobia."

Full article

Would anyone here think that some of the extremely outspoken anti-homosexual folks, the more obsessive ones, seem to have a lot of these traits: "delusion, isolation, and interpersonal alienation, but also hostility and anger."

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Would anyone here think that some of the extremely outspoken anti-homosexual folks, the more obsessive ones, seem to have a lot of these traits: "delusion, isolation, and interpersonal alienation, but also hostility and anger."

That OR they are just bullies who go after who they see as the easiest targets.

Normally these folks go after more than just one group, and their targets will include homosexuals, blacks, poor people and women. They tend to generalize because they believe it makes their argument stronger ... when in reality they have no argument.

zoo22

That OR they are just bullies who go after who they see as the easiest targets.

Normally these folks go after more than just one group, and their targets will include homosexuals, blacks, poor people and women. They tend to generalize because they believe it makes their argument stronger ... when in reality they have no argument.

Oh, sure, I just accept that as a given for a majority of your run-of-the-mill angry homophobes.

PureX

I think we routinely confuse actual homophobes, with bigots. Most bigots are not afraid of homosexuals, they're simply using them as psychological scapegoats. While homophobes actually fear homosexuals and/or homosexuality, and that could be because they fear those inclinations within themselves. Or because they fear homoerotic abuse from others. I agree with the study so long as we understand that homosexual bigotry is not homophobia.

Quetzal

People who understand how the law relating to it works, what it's founded on and why kids can't do all sorts of things legally, from literally contracting for services to having sex. Capacity, the lack of which makes informed consent to all sorts of things impossible, is at the heart of this discussion.

Where this sort of...let's call it a rebuttal, if in the way a refrigerator hanging from an indifferent four year old is "art", only underscores your inability to counter and reliance on posturing in lieu of rationality.

What's right in front of you is an ongoing history of legal principle and law that in no part supports your smug, alarmist horsefeathers.
PSH! What do you know about the law? :eek:

Arthur Brain

Sexuality is fluid, though discussing it is made much more difficult by the constraints of the current language dealing with sexuality.

"Sexual orientation" is a phrase based on Essentialism that assumes that a person's sexual desires are fundamentally biological and cannot change. The "sexual orientation" of a person can be generally classified as a sexual preference for heterosexual, homosexual, or bisexual sex.
"Sexual identity" has been added to explain differences between the sexual preference shown by a person's sexual behavior and that person's stated sexual preferences.

Another term, "sexual fluidity", has also been added to explain why some people change sexual orientation throughout their lives.
_____
Sexual fluidity

The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health states, "For some people, sexual orientation is continuous and fixed throughout their lives. For others, sexual orientation may be fluid and change over time." The American Psychiatric Association's "LGBT-Sexual Orientation" entry says that "some people believe that sexual orientation is innate and fixed; however, sexual orientation develops across a person's lifetime. Individuals maybe become aware at different points in their lives that they are heterosexual, gay, lesbian, or bisexual".
_____​

People have been conditioned into discussing sexual orientation as being fixed and unchangeable, so most of the people you meet who have made the choice will not think in terms they have made a choice about their sexual orientation. Instead most people that are aware a choice has been made will say something like the following:
  • "I thought I was heterosexual, but found out I am really bisexual."
  • "I am not bisexual, I am pansexual."
  • "Well, yes I just had sex with a woman, but it didn't 'cure' me. I am still a homosexual."
  • "I am not a fag because I let a guy give me a blowjob. I like women, not guys."

If you have heard anyone say something like those statements, then you have met people that have changed their sexual preference (the so-called "sexual orientation"), even if it was only for a single encounter.

Even that link states that sexual orientation itself is likely not a choice at the start. As Q pointed out it's more likely that people have been bi or gay or whatever all along and societal pressure to conform has caused them to live a life of pretense etc etc.

Just because he is not able to understand my point, that doesn't mean that nobody is able to understand.
:chuckle:

Oh get over yourself dude. It's not a case of "not understanding your point", it's a case of pointing out what a crock it is. You've already made an idiot of yourself with that load of amateur psychobabble earlier (as if being straight = fear of homosexuals...) so don't compound it.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
People who understand how the law relating to it works, what it's founded on and why kids can't do all sorts of things legally, from literally contracting for services...

so that kid i hired to shovel my snow and cut my grass was hired illegally?

Capacity, the lack of which makes informed consent to all sorts of things impossible, is at the heart of this discussion.

right, and your contention, that i responded to, was that children have no capacity

unsurprising that you'd think so, seeing that you have no experience dealing with children other than your own son who is what, four?

Where this sort of...let's call it a rebuttal

you could call it a rebuttal if you wanted to appear to be a pompous fool

i think of it as a response

a refrigerator hanging

like your self-celebrating blog of a thread? :chuckle:

speaking of posturing as a pompous fool:
underscores your inability to counter and reliance on posturing in lieu of rationality

that was great! :thumb:

have a biscuit!

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
I think there's more heterophobic gays than homophobic heterosexuals.

After all, that's what all those troublemaking people who ruined businesses and livelihoods were. But I suppose nobody on the Left is ever going to actually admit it- that gays weren't revolting for human rights, but out of hate and fear themselves.

Quetzal

After all, that's what all those troublemaking people who ruined businesses and livelihoods were. But I suppose nobody on the Left is ever going to actually admit it- that gays weren't revolting for human rights, but out of hate and fear themselves.
Yeah, just because you want the same services and privileges of someone else, does not mean you are afraid of them. Sorry/not sorry.

PureX

This is nonsense.

A heterophobe would be someone who is afraid of heterosexuals, and/or of heterosexuality. The people you are referring were not afraid of either. They were simply angry about being mistreated, and made a point of demanding restitution/retribution. Anyone else might do the same thing: blacks against racism, for example. Or women against gender discrimination. These aren't the result of "phobias". These are social justice issues.

genuineoriginal

I would argue that their sexual orientation has been that way all along. But due to social pressure, duress and other factors, it was suppressed.
The converse to that is that the sexual preferences (so-called sexual orientation) change over time, possibly due to the same social pressure, duress, and other factors changing over time.

By shutting down the possibility that sexuality is fluid and claiming that sexual orientation is fixed, you are assuming the conclusion.

genuineoriginal

This thread is about homophobes and what might drive them, like whether they might be repressed homosexuals themselves, or maybe have a psychological disorder.

The idea that homophobes are repressed homosexuals is begging the question since it assumes the conclusion that "sexual orientation" is fixed.

I have been trying to address this fundamental flaw in the topic of the thread.

genuineoriginal

Even that link states that sexual orientation itself is likely not a choice at the start. As Q pointed out it's more likely that people have been bi or gay or whatever all along and societal pressure to conform has caused them to live a life of pretense etc etc.
Yes, the homosexual agenda loves to declare that sexual preference is fixed, despite all evidence to the contrary.

It's not a case of "not understanding your point"
Yes, you have already made the narcissistic point that nobody is able to do what you are incapable of doing, even where it relates to your inability to understand the topic of "sexual orientation" that you are so desperate to be a part of.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
This is nonsense.

A heterophobe would be someone who is afraid of heterosexuals, and/or of heterosexuality. The people you are referring were not afraid of either. They were simply angry about being mistreated, and made a point of demanding restitution/retribution. Anyone else might do the same thing: blacks against racism, for example. Or women against gender discrimination. These aren't the result of "phobias". These are social justice issues.

Homosexuals weren't being mistreated. That's a big ol' lie that those like yourself have chosen to masquerade and pretend to be truth. They did do a mighty fine job of treating heterosexuals like garbage, though.

They were heterophobes :rolleyes:

All these specialty groups sitting there pretending that they are so discriminated against, but they are the ones discriminating and being massive hypocrites. White, hetero liberals are under a spell of Stockholm's Syndrome.