Stripping Is Lucrative (Public school alert)

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Gerald

No, the divorce rate was lower because in those days getting divorced was usually a sentence to death by starvation or exposure.
Bull.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

It certainly creates more problems than it solves, and is best avoided.

Of course, not all folks on the dating scene have that much foresight..
Well, at least you're somewhat intelligent.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by lighthouse

You're a complete dumbass. I know my best friend pretty well, and I've spent time alone with him. Those times were obviously not dates. I can get to know someone and spend time alone with them, without it being a date.

Well of course, half-wit: my best friend happens to be a guy, don't know about you, but a date was unnecessary to get to know him. So at least you're willing to admit that people can spend time alone together and get to know each other? How is this NOT a date? Maybe your definition differs from mine. You and Shimei seem so obsessed with sex (perhaps because you're not getting it) that you seem to equate the word "date" with "sex."

firechyld

This is getting ridiculous. I love the way that people here think that once you've shared some small amount of personal information, the rest of your private life is promptly their business...

lighthouse:

What amuses me is that you never use the term "boyfriend."

*shrug* I do sometimes. But he's more than a "boyfriend".

Bear in mind that this might be something as simple as Australian vs American idiom. Most people i know who are in serious relationships refer to their significant other as their "partner". We both used the term to refer to our (now ex) fiance/es.

And I am even more amused by the fact that you will most likely never refer to him as your "fiancé," or your "husband."

What on earth are you basing that on?

And what does "partner" mean anyway? Sexual partner? Life partner?

All of the above? He's the person who walks beside me, and shares my life. My partner. I guess I use it almost in terms of a dance partner. :)

Also, using the term "partner" to refer to your boy/girlfriend was started by homos, because they couldn't get married. By calling him your "partner" you are affirming the notion that you do not intend to marry him.

No, I'm not. That's just what you're reading into it.

If you are using it because he is your sexual partner, this affirms the notion that you do not intend to marry, and reduces him to nothing more than a sex toy.

Once again, you profess knowledge of something you know nothing about. One day you'll figure out that relationships are a lot more complex than you think.

2] I do not see the point in being in a relationship that you don't think is going to go anywhere. And especially not in intentionally not moving forward with it. That is the only reason I'm against "dating." It is the only form of "dating" I am against."

There's something else that I hope you'll one day realise. A relationship isn't about a destination... it's about a journey. Your insistance that a relationship has to be "going somewhere" is simplistic... all relationships go somewhere. They go into the future.

We're happy with where we are now, and we're happy with how we're moving forward. Neither of us can possibly know what the future holds. Wherever we're going, we'll get there together. That's the important thing.

Shimei:

A whole bunch of reasons. :)

Or is it more like, why should he? He is getting what he wants right now, without any real commitment.

You've got a really messed up perception of how relationships work, you know that? We are not getting married yet because it is not what we want. It's not a case of me trying and failing to convince my man to "make an honest woman of me". It's a mutual decision.

As for commitment, you're an idiot if you think that people can't commit without a marriage certificate. I have one of those. I also have a certificate of divorce. I know first hand that there is a lot more to a commitment than the piece of paper. My partner is more committed to me than my ex-husband ever was.

So you performed sexual acts for free?

*grin* In my personal life, if I wanted to sleep with someone, yes. But my professional life has never involved sexual intercourse for money.

Until something better comes along.

Unlikely. :) What makes you think that someone is disposable, just because they aren't your legal husband/wife?

Maybe now you can go out and find someone to shack up with and never get married at all.

You seem to be missing the point that both granite and I have been married.

Firechyld seems happy with her situation.

She is. :)

Spend time with them in a group setting. Couples don't have to be alone to get to know each other.

There are aspects of a romantic relationship that only develop in private... and, no, I don't mean sex. My partner knows parts of me that few other people have seen, and he's opened up to me in ways that he hasn't done in front of anyone else. Anyone can tell you that this is part of forming a romantic bond. I certainly couldn't commit to someone for the rest of my life without knowing that they had seen and accepted those most personal parts of myself.

Having sex right away (dating in the 00's) is not getting to know them, unless sex is all you are after.

*shrug* That's not how my relationship started, but I know many who have built successful relationships on such a foundation.

But, more importantly, why do you think that dating automatically involves sex?

A man and a woman who are attracted to each other and who spend a lot of time alone with each other. Hello?

... are getting to know each other, and enjoying each other's prescence? I've been on plenty of dates that haven't involved sex. Have you ever considered that people can choose not to sleep together? They don't always need to be chaperoned, or leashed.

MR Jack...

Wow, you have a really broken view of marriage there, Shimei. It seems in your world, men only get married so they can have sex with their partners, and the women better hold out or they won't be able to forcing their partner into doing something they don't want.

I concur. I'm finding these insights into shimei quite perturbing...

Granite

Hall of Fame
As I said: Shimei and Brandon seemed so obsessed with SEX=DATE that it makes me wonder if it's just jealousy or voyeurism on their part.

Neither of them seem to have crawled out from under their rocks in a long, long time.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by granite1010

Well of course, half-wit: my best friend happens to be a guy, don't know about you, but a date was unnecessary to get to know him. So at least you're willing to admit that people can spend time alone together and get to know each other? How is this NOT a date? Maybe your definition differs from mine. You and Shimei seem so obsessed with sex (perhaps because you're not getting it) that you seem to equate the word "date" with "sex."
What is wrong with you?! How stupid can one person be?! I never said that date=sex! I said that I can get to know a person without dating them, idiot! And I can. I don't need to date to get to know someone!:doh:

Granite

Hall of Fame

What is wrong with you?! How stupid can one person be?! I never said that date=sex! I said that I can get to know a person without dating them, idiot! And I can. I don't need to date to get to know someone!:doh:

:yawn:

The blizzard boy doth protest too much, me thinks.

Both you and Shimei SEEM to think it's impossible for people to date without having sex. Now, if you want to clarify, go right on ahead. We'd both agree--now, apparently--that you can get to know someone without dating them, but that wasn't my point. You and Shimei seem positively paranoid about every single date out there degenerating into sex (oh, heavens, what IS this world coming to).

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by firechyld

lighthouse:

*shrug* I do sometimes. But he's more than a "boyfriend".
I don't believe you.

Bear in mind that this might be something as simple as Australian vs American idiom. Most people i know who are in serious relationships refer to their significant other as their "partner". We both used the term to refer to our (now ex) fiance/es.
He's nothing more than a security blanket for you. You use him to make yourself feel like you're worth something, because he makes you feel good.

What on earth are you basing that on?
You've already said that you don't want to marry him.

All of the above? He's the person who walks beside me, and shares my life. My partner. I guess I use it almost in terms of a dance partner. :)
He's not a "life" partner, until you've committed to spend the rest of your life with him. And you haven't.

No, I'm not. That's just what you're reading into it.
You've already said that you don't want to marry him.

Once again, you profess knowledge of something you know nothing about. One day you'll figure out that relationships are a lot more complex than you think.
You've already said that you don't want to marry him. And the statement stands, if all you mean is "sex partner," then that reduces him to nothing morethan a sex toy. I never said that "sex partner" is all you mean.

There's something else that I hope you'll one day realise. A relationship isn't about a destination... it's about a journey. Your insistance that a relationship has to be "going somewhere" is simplistic... all relationships go somewhere. They go into the future.
You're kidding, right? I'd prefer not to "date" someone that I don't want to actually be with. That's all. And I never said anythign about a destination. I do not need a girlfriend to feel better about myself, or to elevate myself to some societal status. When I'm ready to get married, it will be after I've found someone I want to sepnd the rest of my life with, and I will pursue a relationship, with the intetntion of marriage. I will wait until I find someone who feels the same way, and we will move forward with it. And the marriage will not be some imaginary destination, it will be the continuation of the journey.

We're happy with where we are now, and we're happy with how we're moving forward. Neither of us can possibly know what the future holds. Wherever we're going, we'll get there together. That's the important thing.
You're not moving forward. you're staying in the same place. Neither of you seems to have decided that you want to move forward. And the most likely scenario is that instead of moving forward, you'll move apart.

*grin* In my personal life, if I wanted to sleep with someone, yes. But my professional life has never involved sexual intercourse for money.
You sound like Bill Clinton. Sexual act does not = sexual intercourse.:doh:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

:yawn:

The blizzard boy doth protest too much, me thinks.

Both you and Shimei SEEM to think it's impossible for people to date without having sex. Now, if you want to clarify, go right on ahead. We'd both agree--now, apparently--that you can get to know someone without dating them, but that wasn't my point. You and Shimei seem positively paranoid about every single date out there degenerating into sex (oh, heavens, what IS this world coming to).
I do believe you are dumber than a box of hammers. Nothing I have ever said indicates that dating=sex. I know people who date without sex. I just don't see the point in dating to get to know someone when it is obviously unnecessary.

Granite

Hall of Fame

I do believe you are dumber than a box of hammers. Nothing I have ever said indicates that dating=sex. I know people who date without sex. I just don't see the point in dating to get to know someone when it is obviously unnecessary.

Look who's talking: I didn't know that minimum wage slaves who slobbed behind a DQ counter could be counted on to quantify someone's intelligence.:rolleyes:

But I digress...Brandon, how exactly would you define a "date"? Spending time with somebody, one-on-one, and getting to know them is a "date." Go out somewhere, movie, park, bowling alley, football game, what have you. You are on a "date," at least as I understand the word. Maybe our definitions aren't exactly the same. I'd like to know yours.

What would you call such activities? And how do you propose people get to know one another if dating is so "obviously" unnecessary? Shimei's Group Date idea is a little absurd: adults don't need chaperones.

P.S. When did YOU actually go out, or have you been under your rock longer than you'd like to admit?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

Look who's talking: I didn't know that minimum wage slaves who slobbed behind a DQ counter could be counted on to quantify someone's intelligence.:rolleyes:
I'm smarter than you.

But I digress...Brandon, how exactly would you define a "date"? Spending time with somebody, one-on-one, and getting to know them is a "date." Go out somewhere, movie, park, bowling alley, football game, what have you. You are on a "date," at least as I understand the word. Maybe our definitions aren't exactly the same. I'd like to know yours.
Like I said, I've gone to movies with my friends. That's not a date. It's not a date unless it's specified as a date. moron.

What would you call such activities? And how do you propose people get to know one another if dating is so "obviously" unnecessary? Shimei's Group Date idea is a little absurd: adults don't need chaperones.
Your definition of date is flawed, dumbass. I can go to a movies with someone I'm interested in without it being a date. Even if it is just the two of us, and we are both interested in each other.

P.S. When did YOU actually go out, or have you been under your rock longer than you'd like to admit?
I've never been on anything specifically specified as a date.

Granite

Hall of Fame
"I'm smarter than you.

:darwinsm:

Sorry, sorry, that was just priceless. Hint: those who have brains don't need to brag about it, nor do they need to prove it on a bulletin board. Get a life, my man.

"Like I said, I've gone to movies with my friends. That's not a date. It's not a date unless it's specified as a date."

FEMALE friends, I assume. (You've been very gender-vague. Coincidence?) What do you call it? "Going somewhere"? "Going out"? If not a date, what? Do you really need to spell it out? "Hey, let's go have dinner, see a movie, and spend time alone. But LEMME BE SPECIFIC: THIS IS NOT A DATE IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM."

Uh-huuuuh. If it looks like a date, feels like a date--aw, forget it.

"I can go to a movies with someone I'm interested in without it being a date. Even if it is just the two of us, and we are both interested in each other."

Again: what's this called? Brandon, the only person who doesn't know he's on a date is YOU. And if you're so interested in this person--guy? gal? you tell me--maybe you should actually let them know. I mean, jeez oh pete. Grow up. Grow SOMETHING, anyway.

"I've never been on anything specifically specified as a date."

And this, my nominally employed Christ-loving friend, is very sad commentary.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Perhaps an arranged marriage would be more agreeable to lighthouse's sensibilities.

That way, love/chemistry/attraction/lust/etc. is not a factor.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

"I'm smarter than you.

:darwinsm:

Sorry, sorry, that was just priceless. Hint: those who have brains don't need to brag about it, nor do they need to prove it on a bulletin board. Get a life, my man.
I'm not bragging. You're just an idiot. I'm not. Pointing it out to you isn't bragging. You don't see me trying to tell someone else that I'm smarter than you, do you?

"Like I said, I've gone to movies with my friends. That's not a date. It's not a date unless it's specified as a date."

FEMALE friends, I assume. (You've been very gender-vague. Coincidence?) What do you call it? "Going somewhere"? "Going out"? If not a date, what? Do you really need to spell it out? "Hey, let's go have dinner, see a movie, and spend time alone. But LEMME BE SPECIFIC: THIS IS NOT A DATE IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM."
Both male and female. I don't date guys, obviously. And that leads into my point. When I go to a movie with a guy friend, it isn't a date. And when I go to a movie with a female friend, it isn't a date. Is it really that hard for you to comprehend?

I actually asked a female friend if she wanted to go see a movie once, and she said she wouldn't go unless there were other people. I asked why, and she said that if it were just the two of us it would be a date. I had to laugh. I never asked her out on a date, but she assumed it would be a date if it were just the two of us. Even if all we did was see the movie. And she wouldn't go unless she had the money to pay for herself, because if I paid it would be a date. I told her that I pay for my friends all the time. It's sad that the world has devolved into this. I never said I wanted it to be a date, but she thought it would be a date if either of those two conditions took place.:nono:

Uh-huuuuh. If it looks like a date, feels like a date--aw, forget it.
You really are stupid.

"I can go to a movies with someone I'm interested in without it being a date. Even if it is just the two of us, and we are both interested in each other."

Again: what's this called? Brandon, the only person who doesn't know he's on a date is YOU. And if you're so interested in this person--guy? gal? you tell me--maybe you should actually let them know. I mean, jeez oh pete. Grow up. Grow SOMETHING, anyway.
If I don't ask her on a date, but I ask her to see a movie, it isn't a date. I went to see The Incredibles with a female friend of mine. I'm interested in her. It wasn't a date.

I have let her know. So what?

Even if we like each other, it doesn't make it a date. It's two friends hanging out. Just like it is when I'm with my best friend.

"I've never been on anything specifically specified as a date."

And this, my nominally employed Christ-loving friend, is very sad commentary.
I never said I've never had a girlfriend, did I? I've just never been on anything specified as a date. I tried to once, and a "friend" attempted to ruin it, by lying to the girl. And because she thought he was telling the truth, by the time I explained to her the truth it was too late. If you want an explanation, I'll give it, but I don't think it's necessary.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

Perhaps an arranged marriage would be more agreeable to lighthouse's sensibilities.

That way, love/chemistry/attraction/lust/etc. is not a factor.
Love has to be a factor. Are you incapable of paying attention? Lust is the antithesis of love, and should not be a factor in marriage.

Anyway, I am against arranged marriages in that order. Love must exist for a marriage to work.

OMEGA

So far , lighthouse has called his fellow posters

IDIOT MORON STUPID

I think that this is Offencive and Not a sign of a Mature Person.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Anyway, I am against arranged marriages in that order. Love must exist for a marriage to work.
That depends on what you want the marriage to work for.

In the days when arranged marriages were the norm, how the marriage would benefit the families involved was more important than the desires of the couple being married.

Granite

Hall of Fame
"And when I go to a movie with a female friend, it isn't a date."

Well, says you. Unfortunately you're in the minority, these days. It may be a CASUAL date without much subtext, but it is what it is.

"I never asked her out on a date, but she assumed it would be a date if it were just the two of us."

Did it ever occur to you that she was RIGHT, Brandon? You may dislike the assumptions people bring into these situations, but maybe you should get with the times.

"It's sad that the world has devolved into this."

Maybe yes and maybe no, but that is the status quo. Get with the program.

"Even if we like each other, it doesn't make it a date. It's two friends hanging out. Just like it is when I'm with my best friend."

Sorry, but that dog don't hunt. Ever seen "When Harry Met Sally"? Sure, it's a flick, but it makes a valid point. Men and women can't just be friends. Because there will always be sexual tension on at least the part of one of them. That's the way we're built, Brandon.

P.S. Omega, this might be a first, but I agree with you.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by OMEGA

So far , lighthouse has called his fellow posters

IDIOT MORON STUPID

I think that this is Offencive and Not a sign of a Mature Person.
An idiot is an idiot. Whether I say it or not. Anyway, why aren't you outside watching for the comet?

Gerald

Resident Fiend
An idiot is an idiot. Whether I say it or not. Anyway, why aren't you outside watching for the comet?
Because being a pain to you is more fun...?