Speaking in Tongues a Stupid Practice and Probably "Annoys God."

oatmeal

I've read those requirements of salvation in the belief statement in some false churches. If you see that, you'd better run the the next nearest church and try again. The Lord does what He wants in the Elects. The rest can babble on thier own and gain better ESP that astonishes themselves. The babbles are cause by bio electrical currents in the body due to certain repetive motions and self mind trickeries. Kundulini enetgies cause increase ESP and cure the body which is ok to those that understand then. Penticoastals don't understand the phenomenon of the human body and make up theories about what God is doing.

Acts 2:4 is clear about who did the speaking and Who gave the utterance.

God is right and you are wrong.

oatmeal

No, it is not. It is a gift of the Spirit. Not all need it or are capable of it. Indeed, it is rarely manifested.

1 Corinthians 12:30

30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

1 Corinthians 12:28

28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

Wonderful verses, but where in those verses is speaking in tongues referred to as a gift?

I Corinthians 12:7-11

But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

It is a manifestation of the spirit

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Wonderful verses, but where in those verses is speaking in tongues referred to as a gift?

I Corinthians 12:7-11

But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

It is a manifestation of the spirit

Back up three verses.
1Corinthians 12:4-6 MEV

4 There are various gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 There are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. 6 There are various operations, but it is the same God who operates all of them in all people.

oatmeal

How's that snake handling working out for you? How about raising the dead?

Snake handling?

Where do you get such a erroneous idea?

Mark 16:17-18?

And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

that if applies to the taking up of serpents, as in if someone does accidentally, as Paul did in Acts 28:3-6

Your ignorance of spiritual matters is what is annoying.

God has not had me raise anyone from the dead, yet.

When He wants me to, He will make it clear to me, by word of knowledge and word of wisdom.

It is your profound ignorance of spiritual matters that is annoying.

oatmeal

Which Lord is that, and where is this command?

Good questions

The Lord God and the lord Jesus Christ. Acts 2:34

The son is still about his Father's business. Luke 2:49

They work together as one, with one purpose, John 10:30

What God had the apostle Paul write about spiritual matters is in I Corinthians 12-14

What God had Paul write about spiritual matters are commandments of the Lord God, I Corinthians 14:37

Spiritually minded people will acknowledge that what Paul wrote are commandments of the Lord.

Regarding spiritual matters, I Corinthians 12:1, what Paul wrote in chapters 12-14 are the commandments of the Lord

Interplanner

Then oatmeal, you will be interested to know that tongues are one of the proofs to those in Judaism that the Gospel, rather than the law, is the message to go out to the nations. When Peter caved to Judaizers, God had to get his attention with the sheet of animals vision, with tongues and face to face with Paul. That's why Paul comes back to what they were really for in I Cor 14.

That's knowledge about tongues.

oatmeal

Back up three verses.
1Corinthians 12:4-6 MEV

4 There are various gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 There are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. 6 There are various operations, but it is the same God who operates all of them in all people.

Back up to I Corinthians 12:1 KJV

Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant.

One of the benefits of utilizing the KJV is that the translators italicized words that they added in the English that did not have a corresponding word in the Stephen's Greek.

The word spiritual is pneumatikos, which would have been better translated, spirituals, or spiritual matters or things concerning the spirit.

Spiritual matters include, as you point out, or rather as I Corinthians 12:4-6 points out

gifts, administrations ( ways of serving), and operations.

But that is not all that falls under the heading of spiritual matters.

the entire three chapters, 12-14 tell us of many, many, many spiritual matters.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The purpose of speech is to communicate, i.e., to convey my thoughts to you in a way that you can understand.

The Protestant practice of "speaking in tongues," i.e., asking God to endow them with the use of a languge that neither they nor anybody else understands, is completely contrary to the intrinsic expressiveness/communicativeness of language. In other words, the practice presupposes that God will endow you with linguistic skills stripped of their natural expressiveness, will give you a language that frustrates its own natural ends.

As sodomy is to the sexual act and lying is to assertion, so too is speaking in tongues to language.

The protestant who asks God to give them such speech asks God to pervert his own creation, and that's Satanic.

What about Catholic Charismatics. :nananana:

StanJ

Good questions

The Lord God and the lord Jesus Christ. Acts 2:34

The son is still about his Father's business. Luke 2:49

They work together as one, with one purpose, John 10:30

What God had the apostle Paul write about spiritual matters is in I Corinthians 12-14

What God had Paul write about spiritual matters are commandments of the Lord God, I Corinthians 14:37

Spiritually minded people will acknowledge that what Paul wrote are commandments of the Lord.

Regarding spiritual matters, I Corinthians 12:1, what Paul wrote in chapters 12-14 are the commandments of the Lord

I was expecting actual answers, not just scripture quotes.

iamaberean

Joh 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
Joh 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
Joh 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
One must be born again or they have not been saved.

Joh 3:8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.
There will be a sound whenever one has been born again.

Act 10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
How did Peter know that the Gentiles had been saved? Because he heard them speak with tongues.

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Have faith that God can do for you what he has done for others.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You know if we were as adamant about soul winning as we are about yeahing and naying the what Scripture says about tongues, I think there would be a great harvest of souls for the Lord.

I still believe there will be a third great awakening.

desiringGod7

The purpose of speech is to communicate, i.e., to convey my thoughts to you in a way that you can understand.

The Protestant practice of "speaking in tongues," i.e., asking God to endow them with the use of a languge that neither they nor anybody else understands, is completely contrary to the intrinsic expressiveness/communicativeness of language. In other words, the practice presupposes that God will endow you with linguistic skills stripped of their natural expressiveness, will give you a language that frustrates its own natural ends.

As sodomy is to the sexual act and lying is to assertion, so too is speaking in tongues to language.

The protestant who asks God to give them such speech asks God to pervert his own creation, and that's Satanic.
I see that you're Catholic, and quite uneducated in Protestantism in general to make this misleading statement..

There is typically ONE type of Protestant who would "speak in tongues", and that would be Pentecostals, who are a type of Charismatic Christians.

If you were to ask any other type of Protestant, they would likely tell you that this behaviour is not from God, it in no way glorifies God, and is indeed an obnoxious and ridiculous behaviour.

desiringGod7

Acts 2:4 it was good enough for the apostles it is good enough for me

I Corinthians 14:18 it was good enough for the apostle Paul, it is good enough for me.

Many people who speak in tongues abuse it and make themselves into idiots.

However, that is not God's plan.

Anyone who respects scripture would never do the contemptuous things that some do while speaking in tongues.

Speaking in tongues is God designed and available to all believers.

You do not read in scripture anyone who respects God and the word of God and the things of God acting foolishly while speaking in tongues.

Speaking in tongues is an incredible powerful manifestation.

"If you knew how powerful speaking in tongues is, you would do it all the time." VP Wierwille
On Pentecost, every man heard the Apostlesintheir own language. The only thing one hears in modern Pentecostal tongues is worthless noise, clanging cymbals.

StanJ

On Pentecost, every man heard the Apostlesintheir own language. The only thing one hears in modern Pentecostal tongues is worthless noise, clanging cymbals.

They heard what the Holy Spirit allowed them to hear. They did NOT hear the actual glossolalia.
As you obviously have never received the infilling of the Holy Spirit you wouldn't know what that spirit is.

desiringGod7

They heard what the Holy Spirit allowed them to hear. They did NOT hear the actual glossolalia.
As you obviously have never received the infilling of the Holy Spirit you wouldn't know what that spirit is.
Typical Pentecostal, claiming that because I do not "speak in tongues" I do not have the Spirit, or have nothing to do with Christ.

If you're claiming the Spirit allows you to hear anything besides noise while tongues are being spoken in this way, or that you are in any way edified by it, you are playing pretend.

What's really, really sad, is how many honestly confused Christians there are stuck in these Pentecostal churches, truly trying to find Christ but being led to believe that they aren't saved (at least not all the way - or "spirit-filled") because they can't honestly speak in tongues like they've been led to think every "real Christian" does. I've seen this sad situation with my own eyes, and it is a terrible shame.

So their church gives them pamphlets instructing them on how to be more "receptive" to these "gifts of the spirit", and they'll try and try again to "speak in tongues" without feeling like a fake, but they'll only be made to feel unsaved for their honesty.

The Spirit of Christ always leads us to Christ, and focuses our attention on Him, and most certainly does not focus our attention on our new talents, or even the Spirit Himself.

StanJ

Typical Pentecostal, claiming that because I do not "speak in tongues" I do not have the Spirit, or have nothing to do with Christ.

If you're claiming the Spirit allows you to hear anything besides noise while tongues are being spoken in this way, or that you are in any way edified by it, you are playing pretend.

What's really, really sad, is how many honestly confused Christians there are stuck in these Pentecostal churches, truly trying to find Christ but being led to believe that they aren't saved (at least not all the way - or "spirit-filled") because they can't honestly speak in tongues like they've been led to think every "real Christian" does. I've seen this sad situation with my own eyes, and it is a terrible shame.

So their church gives them pamphlets instructing them on how to be more "receptive" to these "gifts of the spirit", and they'll try and try again to "speak in tongues" without feeling like a fake, but they'll only be made to feel unsaved for their honesty.

The Spirit of Christ always leads us to Christ, and focuses our attention on Him, and most certainly does not focus our attention on our new talents, or even the Spirit Himself.

Actually I didn't say that, but as your DON'T speak in tongues, you DON'T have the infilling of the Holy Spirit, just as is clearly shown in Acts 19:1-7 (NIV)

The HOLY Spirit allows me to exercise my faith and be used in the corporate church to minster to saints and sinners.

Nobody that KNOWS the Bible, ever says not speaking in tongues equates to not being saved. Maybe people of your ilk try to prevaricate in that manner, but that is NOT what is taught in scripture. Orderly corporate use is what is taught BUT if you don't have the infilling of the Holy Spirit, and refuse to acknowledge what Paul clearly showed in Acts 19, then you WON'T understand.

Pamphlets? :loser:

The spirit of Christ is NOT the same, which you should know if you remember your Sunday School lessons? Jesus said to WAIT for the Holy Spirit. Apparently you don't believe Him either? You probably should read Rom 8:9 and 1 Peter 1:11 more thoroughly and IN context in order to understand the vernacular being used.

I always have wondered why a lot of usernames ALWAYS indicate the EXACT opposite of the person using them?

glorydaz

:thumb: