Speaking in Tongues a Stupid Practice and Probably "Annoys God."

oatmeal

Speaking in tongues is a commandment of the Lord.

But if you wish to remain ignorant of the commandments of the Lord, that is your choice.

Interplanner

Oatmeal,
that was only made to one group in one letter. Even though it was very different from Acts 2, 11, 19 and the quote of Isaiah in I Cor 14, he let them do it but minimised its value and maturity.

We should move on from it, as he says about putting away childish things.

Puppet

BANNED
Banned

But if you wish to remain ignorant of the commandments of the Lord, that is your choice.

I've read those requirements of salvation in the belief statement in some false churches. If you see that, you'd better run the the next nearest church and try again. The Lord does what He wants in the Elects. The rest can babble on thier own and gain better ESP that astonishes themselves. The babbles are cause by bio electrical currents in the body due to certain repetive motions and self mind trickeries. Kundulini enetgies cause increase ESP and cure the body which is ok to those that understand then. Penticoastals don't understand the phenomenon of the human body and make up theories about what God is doing.

Interplanner

Subjectivism tends to find one "command" about a topic like this but think there is therefore a huge validation of it. It has a hard time absorbing the whole context. In this case, that means how tongues were a sign to those in Judaism who did not think the Gospel was supposed to go to the nations, including Peter even after leading the Jewish Christian church.

RevTestament

No, it is not. It is a gift of the Spirit. Not all need it or are capable of it. Indeed, it is rarely manifested.

1 Corinthians 12:30

30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

1 Corinthians 12:28

28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

StanJ

Real tongues (Acts 2, 11, 19, I Cor 14 quoting Isaiah) is a sign to followers of Judaism that God's mission is the Gospel to the nations, not the law. There has to be members of Judaism who see this sign in action. Everything else is doubtful; Paul didn't forbid it, but he certainly minimised it in ch 14.

People in Judaism after the Gospel event should have realized that this message was due to go to the nations, but the Law was/is a 'member of the trinity' to them (Yahweh--torah--'eretz). So if anything like a mission to the nations was going to happen, it was going to be the Law that went out.

the apostles learned that this was not so from Christ, and Christ raised up Paul out of the middle of agressive Judaism for that very reason; Gal 1B.

Pentecost was the spectacular display of this sign for this reason. It happened on that day because when those people returned home after the weekend they would all be taking this new message back to their locations in their language. The message would be the Gospel of forgiveness, not the Law and more ceremonies.

Pentecost was also the reversal of the curse of Babel. God now acted to redeem mankind from the curse of language division with the one message of Truth in all languages.

I don't think repeating this even when I've explained it to you, makes you sound anymore credible. It was definitely NOT a reversal of the Tower of Babel.

Interplanner

sure it was. Look at the result. God's message in all the languages going out to all the world. Not one human message all in one message and one centralized government. How can you look at that and not see reversals, as in redemption? I don't mean the curse of incompatible language is reversed, I mean that Babel is beaten at its game. It is God's kingdom defeating what Babel wished was going to be mans. But certain details in this are reversed. It was an experience where all these people knew they were hearing the same message.

StanJ

Acts 2:6. When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken.
It is common knowledge that tongues is languages. The miracle was not in the speaking, but in the hearing. Each heard in their own tongue / language.

Cherub none of YOUR knowledge is common or reputable.
Prove your assertions, don't just make them.

It's common knowledge that the Greek word use for new tongues connotes a language never before used or heard.

StanJ

sure it was. Look at the result. God's message in all the languages going out to all the world. Not one human message all in one message and one centralized government. How can you look at that and not see reversals, as in redemption? I don't mean the curse of incompatible language is reversed, I mean that Babel is beaten at its game. It is God's kingdom defeating what Babel wished was going to be mans. But certain details in this are reversed. It was an experience where all these people knew they were hearing the same message.

What the God fearing Jews heard, were believers praising God in their OWN language, those believers were NOT speaking it. God had a reason for Babel, and that won't change until the route of why He did this changes. THAT will only happen at Jesus' second coming.
Babel was NEW languages at that time. Tongues are NEWER and have NEVER been heard or used before Acts 2:4

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I forgot about the snake handler's, that would make anybody speak in a foreign something.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Did drinking poison without dying and handling serpents something that "annoyed God"?

Like it or not, people, there were obviously some early Christians who were inspired by their concept of the divine to drink poison and pick up snakes.

Interplanner

What the God fearing Jews heard, were believers praising God in their OWN language, those believers were NOT speaking it. God had a reason for Babel, and that won't change until the route of why He did this changes. THAT will only happen at Jesus' second coming.
Babel was NEW languages at that time. Tongues are NEWER and have NEVER been heard or used before Acts 2:4

They were believers in Judaism in the city of one of the three major annual festivals.
I don't see where you get the praising God thing.
The visiting members of Judaism heard the Gospel preached. Peter didn't just start speaking in English at v14, nor Aramaic. The supernatural translation continued.
Tongues were known languages at the time of Acts 2. See v8.

The reason members of Judaism needed to hear this was it was another proof that the mission of the Gospel of God was going to the nations. In Judaism, they were and sought to take the Law. jesus had a pretty nasty remark about that. It was the Gospel that was supposed to go.

The event is connected to Babel in that the mighty acts of God are proclaimed rather than the mighty plans of arrogant man. It is safe for all to hear in their language, and there is no confusion. Those are three redemptive reversals right there. God wanted the whole world to hear that Jesus had been made Lord and Christ.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Jesus wasn't the serpent who bit the people so they would die. And Jesus wasn't the serpent being lifted on the pole, but that was a semblance of looking fearlessly upon the serpent and thus overcoming fear of death through Christ. The cross represents fear of death which the serpent brought into the world by lying to Eve(or the church).
Interesting personal interpretation.

Based on the symbolism and iconography of the snake in ancient cultures, I see it slightly differently.

But do I know I am right? Of course not. My thinking has an undercurrent of faith and belief, not only factually-correct history.

StanJ

They were believers in Judaism in the city of one of the three major annual festivals.
I don't see where you get the praising God thing.
The visiting members of Judaism heard the Gospel preached. Peter didn't just start speaking in English at v14, nor Aramaic. The supernatural translation continued.
Tongues were known languages at the time of Acts 2. See v8.

The reason members of Judaism needed to hear this was it was another proof that the mission of the Gospel of God was going to the nations. In Judaism, they were and sought to take the Law. jesus had a pretty nasty remark about that. It was the Gospel that was supposed to go.

The event is connected to Babel in that the mighty acts of God are proclaimed rather than the mighty plans of arrogant man. It is safe for all to hear in their language, and there is no confusion. Those are three redemptive reversals right there. God wanted the whole world to hear that Jesus had been made Lord and Christ.

The apostle were believers in Jesus, NOT Judaism.
Did you miss v11?
"we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues."
Peter was speaking in his native tongue. How could you possible think otherwise? Do you think He would say "Fellow Jews" in Egyptian?
Tongues were NEW languages as Jesus prophesied in Mark 16:17 (NIV)

That's an assumption you have NOT corroborated.

The event is in NO way connected to the Tower of Babel.

You would get a lot farther if you actually had scripture to support your assertions.

oatmeal

Oatmeal,
that was only made to one group in one letter. Even though it was very different from Acts 2, 11, 19 and the quote of Isaiah in I Cor 14, he let them do it but minimised its value and maturity.

We should move on from it, as he says about putting away childish things.

Have you surpassed the spiritual heights of the apostle Paul?

I Corinthians 14:18

The apostle Paul had a much different belief about speaking in tongues than you have.

Be sure to let us know how your intineraries and miracles and your rewriting of Paul's epistles are going.