Speaking in Tongues a Stupid Practice and Probably "Annoys God."

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
The purpose of speech is to communicate, i.e., to convey my thoughts to you in a way that you can understand.

The Protestant practice of "speaking in tongues," i.e., asking God to endow them with the use of a languge that neither they nor anybody else understands, is completely contrary to the intrinsic expressiveness/communicativeness of language. In other words, the practice presupposes that God will endow you with linguistic skills stripped of their natural expressiveness, will give you a language that frustrates its own natural ends.

As sodomy is to the sexual act and lying is to assertion, so too is speaking in tongues to language.

The protestant who asks God to give them such speech asks God to pervert his own creation, and that's Satanic.

HisServant

The purpose of speech is to communicate, i.e., to convey my thoughts to you in a way that you can understand.

The Protestant practice of "speaking in tongues," i.e., asking God to endow them with the use of a languge that neither they nor anybody else understands, is completely contrary to the intrinsic expressiveness/communicativeness of language. In other words, the practice presupposes that God will endow you with linguistic skills stripped of their natural expressiveness, will give you a language that frustrates its own natural ends.

As sodomy is to the sexual act and lying is to assertion, so too is speaking in tongues to language.

The protestant who asks God to give them such speech asks God to pervert his own creation, and that's Satanic.

Well... its a Pentecostal practice which is an extreme minority of Protestants (thank goodness).

And I agree, if someone is speaking in tongues and there is no one there that understands it... it is not from God and is probably demon possession.

There was a distinct reason for speaking in tongues... that reason does not exist anymore.

glorydaz

Hmm....how many years was the mass conducted in Latin? :think:

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
"Glossolalia" or speaking in tongues is an involuntary response to a feeling of the sacred divinity that runs the world.

Some people's ego and everyday existence collapses and is replaced by an honest feeling that prompts the event.

Because it comes from honest Christian believers, I think we should take it seriously.

It is one of the many ways the power of the divine is made manifest in human beings.

oatmeal

Acts 2:4 it was good enough for the apostles it is good enough for me

I Corinthians 14:18 it was good enough for the apostle Paul, it is good enough for me.

Many people who speak in tongues abuse it and make themselves into idiots.

However, that is not God's plan.

Anyone who respects scripture would never do the contemptuous things that some do while speaking in tongues.

Speaking in tongues is God designed and available to all believers.

You do not read in scripture anyone who respects God and the word of God and the things of God acting foolishly while speaking in tongues.

Speaking in tongues is an incredible powerful manifestation.

"If you knew how powerful speaking in tongues is, you would do it all the time." VP Wierwille

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Well... its a Pentecostal practice which is an extreme minority of Protestants (thank goodness).

And I agree, if someone is speaking in tongues and there is no one there that understands it... it is not from God and is probably demon possession.

There was a distinct reason for speaking in tongues... that reason does not exist anymore.

The only case in the New Testament which immediately springs to mind in which people actually speak in tongues is around Pentecost. After the Apostles are "filled with the Holy Ghost" in the upper room and emboldened to preach the gospel, they confronted a language barrier. There's people from all over the place who speak all kinds of different languages, and they (the Apostles) are more or less uneducated people who don't speak those languages. There's a language barrier. God miraculously allows them to breach the language barrier: the apostles speak, and all of the hearers understand what they've said in their own language.

Speaking and interpreting tongues makes sense, e.g., for St. Padre Pio. Someone is on the other side of the confessional, and St. Padre Pio doesn't know the language. Well, he needs to speak that language in order to understand and speak to the penitent. So God grants it in this particular case. That makes sense.

But the pentecostal practice is just ridiculous. "Give me, O God, the power to speak Greek, which neither I nor anyone else will understand."

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Hmm....how many years was the mass conducted in Latin? :think:

The reason for that is so that anyone, no matter what their native tongue may be, could understand what's happening at any given point in the mass. I could be an English speaker visiting France, not speak French, but still be able to follow along at mass.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
1 Cor 14:18-32
18 I thank my God I speak with tongues more than you all;
19 yet in the church I would rather speak five words with my understanding, that I may teach others also, than ten thousand words in a tongue.
20 Brethren, do not be children in understanding; however, in malice be babes, but in understanding be mature.
21 In the law it is written: "With men of other tongues and other lips I will speak to this people; and yet, for all that, they will not hear Me," says the Lord.
22 Therefore tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophesying is not for unbelievers but for those who believe.
23 Therefore if the whole church comes together in one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those who are uninformed or unbelievers, will they not say that you are out of your mind?
24 But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or an uninformed person comes in, he is convinced by all, he is convicted by all.
25 And thus the secrets of his heart are revealed; and so, falling down on his face, he will worship God and report that God is truly among you.
26 How is it then, brethren? Whenever you come together, each of you has a psalm, has a teaching, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification.
27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, let there be two or at the most three, each in turn, and let one interpret.
28 But if there is no interpreter, let him keep silent in church, and let him speak to himself and to God.
29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others judge.
30 But if anything is revealed to another who sits by, let the first keep silent.
31 For you can all prophesy one by one, that all may learn and all may be encouraged.
32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.
(NKJ)

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Therefore tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers

And to understand why this is true, we have to refer back to the story in Acts. Which basically indicates exactly the opposite of what Pentecostals do.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Tongues is a gift of the spirit and Paul tells us that;

1 Corinthians 13:8King James Version (KJV)

8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

In other-wards that tongues are still in effect, but that they will cease some. But he stresses that there is a more excellent way, love. Please humor us Pentecostals who still believe in speaking in tongues as the spirit see fit.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I understand what you are communicating.

The (Protestant) Pentecostal practice of speaking in tongues is not asked for; it is indwelling of the Holy Spirit that happens when a person is saved, some say it is second definite work, some also call it sanctification.

Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

As sodomy is to the sexual act and lying is to assertion, so too is speaking in tongues to language. Putting sodomy and speaking in tongues is a terribly bad comparison and equation.(shameful)

"The protestant who asks God to give them such speech asks God to pervert his own creation, and that's Satanic."
> It is a gift, and you do not have to ask for a gift.
> To ask for speech to pervert God's creation is foolish, and probably doesn't happen.
> To say Protestant and Pentecostals are satanic as it seems implied, would be foolish as well.

If you have it in for the Pentecostals, their churches and denominations, you need to let it go and move on, unless you are a modern day crusader against the Pentecostals I would think you take up a valiant cause in your own church or denomination that needs to be dealt with.​

Last edited:

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
A tendril of the growth nurtured in early Greek religion wound its way into Roman acceptance and flowered into the belief that gods had a language all their own. Deities did not communicate in the mundane speech of mortals, however. In his hymn to the gods, Hesiod, who lived in the eighth century b.c., described the multiheaded monster, Typhoeus, who besides bellowing, roaring, barking, and hissing, could also speak in a " 'normal' voice, ... [making] the same kind of noise as a human larynx does ... though the language he speaks is of course that of the gods."

By the time Plato developed his philosophy, it seems that the concept was unchanged. He, too, believed that the gods spoke a language that humans could not possibly comprehend. But a way had been provided for humans to understand their speech. Men from any linguistic background could speak the language of deities only if their minds were unhinged by the gods. Indeed, incoherent speech was viewed as a gift from the gods. Socrates explains in Phaedrus, "The greatest blessings come by way of madness, indeed of madness that is heaven-sent." Plato reiterates this concept in the Timaeus. In sound and reason, if the speaker was understood by his audience, it was proof he did not possess this gift of the gods.

Some Christians want to deny Paul's use of glossolalia in his doctrine, but it is there. (Jesus certainly never took up the subject.) In First Corinthians Paul teaches: "When a man is using the language of ecstasy he is talking with God, not with men, for no man understands him; he is no doubt inspired, but he speaks mysteries." Further on in this chapter, Paul declares: "Thank God, I am more gifted in ecstatic utterance than any of you." Being the clever man he was, however, Paul understood the ramifications of what he was teaching and attempted to control this branch of his gospel by pruning some of its wild growth. Therefore, he warned his followers, it is better to "speak five intelligible words ... than thousands of words in the language of ecstasy."

Even so, the precept remains a part of Paul's creed, and he goes on to follow Plato's pattern by insisting that interpreters be present when ecstatic utterances are part of a meeting. Here are Paul's instructions: "To sum up, my friends: when you meet to worship, each of you contributes a hymn, some instruction, a revelation, an ecstatic utterance, or the interpretation of such utterance." After unintelligible sounds were produced by a human voice, another person was called on to explain them to an audience of believers who had faith that God was using these noises to communicate with them.

Apparently, this idea, too, comes from the Timaeus, where Plato gives these directions: "But, while [the enthralled one] continues demented, he cannot judge of the visions which he sees or the words which he utters; ... And for this reason it is customary to appoint interpreters to be judges of the true inspiration." Surely Paul's rules in First Corinthians are too similar to Plato's directions in the Timaeus to be accidental. Yet whether a stand is being taken for or against glossolalia in Christianity, Paul's advice on the subject is used to support the argument.

A good example of what can happen in worship when the element of ecstasy takes over is described in I Samuel 19:18-24. During the time when Saul was hunting David to kill him, he commanded his soldiers to find and apprehend the former shepherd. While searching for David, however, the men came upon Samuel's school of prophets in Naioth and found his students enjoying a rapturous state. The king's men also "fell into prophetic rapture" and left off their search to join the prophets in their activities. When Saul's men failed to return with David, he sent two other bands to search for him, but they, too, fell into the spiritual abandonment led by Samuel.

Despairing at the failure of his men, Saul himself set off in pursuit of his former harp player. Upon arriving at Naioth, however, Saul also became possessed. He took off his clothes, and, naked and prone on the ground, "fell into a rapture before Samuel and lay" in that state for the rest of the day and all that night. The rapt Saul was no more successful than his men had been. Samuel Sandmel calls this group of Samuel's "loathsome whirling dervishes."

What Samuel incited his prophets to do was in direct disobedience to Yahweh, according to passages in Exodus. Encouraging His priests to spare Him the sight of their private parts, God instructed them in Exodus 28 to wear linen drawers. Surely this rule of covering oneself before God extends to prophets, since shedding one's sense of speech apparently leads to casting off other considerate social items as well.

Quoted from: Saint Paul's Homage to Plato, by F.F. Powell

Last edited:

StanJ

Of course your opinion is a very typical, uninformed RC opinion.
Here's a command for you
1 Cor 14:39 (NIV)

StanJ

The (Protestant) Pentecostal practice of speaking in tongues is not asked for; it is indwelling of the Holy Spirit that happens when a person is saved, some say it is second definite work, some also call it sanctification.

Actually it is a separate experience, apart from salvation.
Acts 10 and Acts 19 record this.