Some Anti Name-Calling Folks...

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Agape4Robin said:
You know nothing about my life, so don't pretend you do based on a few posts.
I don't have to pretend anything. You portray yourself as bitter towards those who would judge.

Nope........
Then why the remark about not eating with me?

On that I agree, but it's still a mistake. We are all tempted and led astray.
I don't like to use the term mistake, because it makes it sound like an accident, and it is certainly not an accident.

And it is most certainly wrong.

That's because you treat God as though you know the heart and mind of God. I look for the meaning of the words used by the writers of the bible and follow the context of what is actually being said, not simply what I think it means based on my own interpretation. I pray for wisdom before I read those words. I don't have my own agenda when reading scripture. I look for the meat, not just the milk.
I am a new creation, having been transformed by the renewing of my mind, so that I have the mind of Christ. I leave myself open to the Spirit, and He leads me into the truth. And shows me when I am in error. I got past the milk of the word when I started questioning doctrines, and sought God out for myself.

No, just childish.
How so?

God is my Judge. Because the heart is most decietful and He knows my heart better than even I do.
Do you think that would go over well in a court of law? Would you have told Solomon that you didn't trust him to make a judgment? Even though God gave him the wisdom for such...

Agape4Robin

lighthouse said:
I don't have to pretend anything. You portray yourself as bitter towards those who would judge.

Then why the remark about not eating with me?

I don't like to use the term mistake, because it makes it sound like an accident, and it is certainly not an accident.

And it is most certainly wrong.

I am a new creation, having been transformed by the renewing of my mind, so that I have the mind of Christ. I leave myself open to the Spirit, and He leads me into the truth. And shows me when I am in error. I got past the milk of the word when I started questioning doctrines, and sought God out for myself.

Do you think that would go over well in a court of law? Would you have told Solomon that you didn't trust him to make a judgment? Even though God gave him the wisdom for such...
Hello again :Brandon:

Me? Bitter? YOu are the one justifying that it is ok to use name calling as a means of outreach....

So, when is dinner?

As have I.......

Didn't realize I was on trial here..........

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Agape4Robin said:
Hello again :Brandon:

Me? Bitter? YOu are the one justifying that it is ok to use name calling as a means of outreach....
Matthew 3:7-8 - Example of name-calling as a means of outreach.

julie21

Frank Ernest said:
Matthew 3:7-8 - Example of name-calling as a means of outreach.
...but in all honesty Frank [ and respectfully too, I might add], that particular form of outreach, 'name-calling' used by John the Baptist and directed at the Pharisees and the Sadducees didn't quite work, did it?
In fact, wasn't it this same group of people that gave Him up to the barbaric Romans for crucifixion?
Don't you think it could very well have fanned the flames of hatred towards not just John, but in the end, the Christ Jesus?

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
julie21 said:
...but in all honesty Frank [ and respectfully too, I might add], that particular form of outreach used by John the Baptist and directed at the Pharisees and the Sadducees didn't quite work, did it?
In fact, wasn't it this same group of people that gave Him up to the barbaric Romans for crucifixion?
Hey! Somedays you're the bug and somedays you're the windshield (that would be windscreen where you are).

The other part is the Pharisees didn't give Him up to the Romans. They couldn't execute Jesus without Procurator permission. Pilate chose to be complicit in order to avoid some local nastiness. Even so I would suggest to you that the name-calling, such as it was, certainly got their attention. If one is going to advance an argument, one must get the attention of the potential listener, especially if that listener is powerful and entrenched. The Pharisees chose to remain powerful and entrenched.

As an exercise, why not paraphrase the words of John the Baptist in a nice non-name-calling way that would have gotten the desired result? Let me know what you come up with.

julie21

Okay Frank..
yes the name calling did get their attention...but looking at John's statement in verse 8 of that passage, did they , the Pharisees and Sadducees repent and go on to bear 'good' fruit, or did they ignore John the Baptist's name calling? I concede that I was in error in part re their handing Jesus up to the Romans. They were [ the chief priests and teachers of the law, as stated in Luke 23 ] however just as complicit in their actions in taking Him to Pilate as if they had put Him on the cross themselves.

I don't believe that you could paraphrase the name calling used by John the Baptist in such a way as to have the effect that would have been desirous, for it is evident from the Bible, that the hearts of both the Pharisees and the Sadducees were not to be swayed.
The thing is, that we are not privy to the contents of another man's heart, so our name calling may have exactly th same result as John's did with that particular group. It is interesting though that Jesus didn't name call Nicodemus in His ministry, and look at the fruit that supposedly was borne from that 'loving' approach .

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Nicodemus came to Jesus, in submission. Jesus had no reason to call him any names, Julie.:rolleyes:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Peter said, "Explain the parable to us."

[jesus]"Are you still so dull?"[/jesus] Jesus asked them. Matthew 15:15-16​
Come on, Jesus, was that really necessary?

Agape4Robin

Turbo said:
Peter said, "Explain the parable to us."

[jesus]"Are you still so dull?"[/jesus] Jesus asked them. Matthew 15:15-16​
Come on, Jesus, was that really necessary?
Again, that is Jesus.....God......He was privy to the hearts and minds of men.

We are not! :nono:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Agape4Robin said:
Again, that is Jesus.....God......He was privy to the hearts and minds of men.

We are not! :nono:
(I will remind you that Paul wrote that "we have the mind of Christ" (1 Corinthians 2:16) and that Jesus and Paul encouraged believers to judge rightly. So apparently it can be done.)

OK, so do you agree that it's OK to call someone a name so long as the judgment is right? If I understand you correctly, that is what you are saying.

For instance, twice the Psalmist wrote, "The fool has said in his heart, 'There is no God.'" (14:, 53:1)

Some people openly state that they believe there is no God.

Is it OK to openly call such a people fools? Or is it wrong?

Agape4Robin

Turbo said:
(I will remind you that Paul wrote that "we have the mind of Christ" (1 Corinthians 2:16) and that Jesus and Paul encouraged believers to judge rightly. So apparently it can be done.)

OK, so do you agree that it's OK to call someone a name so long as the judgment is right? If I understand you correctly, that is what you are saying.

For instance, twice the Psalmist wrote, "The fool has said in his heart, 'There is no God.'" (14:, 53:1)

Some people openly state that they believe there is no God.

Is it OK to openly call such a people fools? Or is it wrong?
Judgement as it pertains to assessing a situation is always the right thing to do. If you show a person in scripture what God has to say about not believing in God, then it is not you saying that they are a fool. The offense is not on you. But no where in scripture is the word faggot or slut.
Even if it did, read context, context, context!!!!

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Agape4Robin said:
Judgement as it pertains to assessing a situation is always the right thing to do. If you show a person in scripture what God has to say about not believing in God, then it is not you saying that they are a fool. The offense is not on you.
Do I necessarily have to actually show them or quote the verse, or can I rightly just call atheists fools?

But no where in scripture is the word faggot or slut.
So our namecalling must be strictly limited to those specifically used in the Bible?

Slut is out, but whore and whoremonger are in?

Faggot is out, but abomination, pervert, and sodomite are OK?

Is that what you're saying?