• Total voters

ApologeticJedi

Knight said:
Rep System: (in my opinion)

Pros:[/B]
- Comment on posts without disrupting thread
- Fun to goof around with
- etc (still thinking of other pros)

One more pro --- I've given good rep to poeople who I've differed with just because I have liked their well-thought-out questions. In the end, the people I've done this with have been far more civil in their debate and more willing to be objective to both side. I think the rep has the ability to lower hostilities in that way.

hitek357

I voted "Yes" (dump it), but you could also just stop calling it "Reputation".

Replace it with something that indicates one or more of the following:

1) How unlikely you are to be fishing for reputation.

2) which TOL religious-political bloc you fall into: no more "Right Wing Fanatic" or "Pinko Commie". This gets set for you based on who posreps you.

3. Your favorite cheese.

genuineoriginal

I voted other.
I don't think we should dump the reputation system.
I think the reputation system needs some improvement.

Possible changes:

Limit the number to the reps that affect the reputation to the ones that show on the user control panel, which appear to be the last 25 reps received. This way, the reputation can go up and down based on recent posts, and the differences between reputations are smaller. The superpowers would not affect reputation as much as they do now, and the reputation can be changed from red to green easier.

:readthis: Change the reputation window so we must choose whether we agree or disagree to prevent accidentally pos repping. I hate when I do that.

Show the rep and comments with the post so that they are not hidden. If someone wants to send a pm, they can, but the rep comments should be public. Keeping them with the post keeps them from interrupting the discussion and shows everyone which posts are receiving rep and why.​

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
ApologeticJedi said:
One more pro --- I've given good rep to poeople who I've differed with just because I have liked their well-thought-out questions. In the end, the people I've done this with have been far more civil in their debate and more willing to be objective to both side. I think the rep has the ability to lower hostilities in that way.

Exactly! Or when a person is going down the wrong road, they see thier error and change to the right path! I love to pos rep those!

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
CRASH said:
Exactly! Or when a person is going down the wrong road, they see thier error and change to the right path! I love to pos rep those!
Amen!

Freedom Train

BANNED
Banned
Delmar said:
That or a really fast way to say " I don't approve of what you said".

Sure, if you're too chicken to confront someone directly, and if you're just the kind of little weiner who thinks, "I don't like this person because they don't agree with me so I will mess them up and they'll never even know it was me who did it."

You can say "I don't approve of what you said," and why in the threads if you've got any integrity. Or you can be a sniper to show what a ruff tuff cream puff you are. Your call.

I think if the board is to have integrity it needs to remove the tools like that from the hands of wimps.

Skeptic

Knight said:
For others it has become an obsession and a distraction.
I have noticed that some folks get great pleasure out of giving negative reps. Since its inception, until recently, my rep count was well into the negative realm. Today, I am in positive rep land with a count of 3489!

My positions have not changed on the issues I've discussed. Therefore, it seems likely that those who have been obsessed with bad repping me are on summer vacation. My rep status will probably turn from green to red, as election day approaches. :chuckle:

And for some it has caused hurt feelings and ill will.
Sticks and stones may break my bones but reps will never hurt me.

Tell me what you think... should we keep it or dump it?
Since I never use it, and don't care how I am repped, I voted to dump it.

Last edited:

Skeptic

CRASH said:
It is a great way to reward and punish thoughts.
Maybe you should join the thought police.

The rep system does not reward or punish me. I think it's a way that people such as yourself can feel like they are truly influencing reputations. You are essentially telling others, "Don't pay attention to what this person says. He does not deserve your respect and consideration. He's just a commie! Why, just look at his bad rep status!"

For some, the rep system, is a way to encourage others to ignore the message by demonizing the messenger.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Freedom Train said:
Sure, if you're too chicken to confront someone directly, and if you're just the kind of little weiner who thinks, "I don't like this person because they don't agree with me so I will mess them up and they'll never even know it was me who did it."

You can say "I don't approve of what you said," and why in the threads if you've got any integrity. Or you can be a sniper to show what a ruff tuff cream puff you are. Your call.

I think if the board is to have integrity it needs to remove the tools like that from the hands of wimps.

Keep it.

Wessex Man

The rep system is fun,but as you say Knight some people take it a little too seriously,
I can't really think of a way to change it though,except perhaps get rid of negative repping,then it would be an entirely constructive system.

Wessex Man

That's a good point I like to do that,but most people don't,alot of people take it way too seriously and sometimes neg rep you without leaving a comment or a post. cough...lighthouse...cough.

Caille

NuGnostic said:
That's a good point I like to do that,but most people don't,alot of people take it way too seriously and sometimes neg rep you without leaving a comment or a post. cough...lighthouse...cough.

Wow.

How gay is that?

Freedom Train

BANNED
Banned
Skeptic said:
The rep system does not reward or punish me. I think it's a way that people such as yourself can feel like they are truly influencing reputations. You are essentially telling others, "Don't pay attention to what this person says. He does not deserve your respect and consideration. He's just a commie! Why, just look at his bad rep status!"

For some, the rep system, is a way to encourage others to ignore the message by demonizing the messenger.

As I said, that's the action of weenies. If that's true (hard to say since it's a matter of opinion anyway) people can figure it out, unless most who come here are so stupid they need some self-appointed doofus to tell them what to think. And if that's what they need, they aren't worth much to begin with.

Demonizing the messenger in this regard is a cowardly act, no two ways about it. It shows the person doing it doesn't have the debating skill to confront the person head-on, so, they resort to stabbing in the back since they're useless in a fair fight. It's stacking the deck in favor of the weenies.

Daniel50

It is good to have Rep.system.

P.S.If you donate one dollar per month to TOL , you will be given addtional 10,000 refutation points.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Freedom Train said:
As I said, that's the action of weenies. If that's true (hard to say since it's a matter of opinion anyway) people can figure it out, unless most who come here are so stupid they need some self-appointed doofus to tell them what to think. And if that's what they need, they aren't worth much to begin with.

Demonizing the messenger in this regard is a cowardly act, no two ways about it. It shows the person doing it doesn't have the debating skill to confront the person head-on, so, they resort to stabbing in the back since they're useless in a fair fight. It's stacking the deck in favor of the weenies.
Some times when you hear the same tired old drivel over, and over, and over again.it is just easier to hit the "I do not approve" button than to rehash the same argument.
Freedom Train, I am :down: repping you for post# 76 I'm not calling you a demon or anything I just don't approve of your whinning!

Knight can I change my vote? I want to keep the rep!

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Skeptic said:
Maybe you should join the thought police.

Agreed. It's petty high school confidential crap.