• NO

Votes: 63 50.4%
  • OTHER (explain below)

Votes: 20 16.0%

• Total voters

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The reputation system is intended for fun, nothing more, nothing less.

Many people (like myself) like the rep system because I can give comments to folks for their posts "behind the scenes" so to speak.

For others it has become an obsession and a distraction.

And for some it has caused hurt feelings and ill will.

Tell me what you think... should we keep it or dump it?

Jadant

The rep system is fun, but I agree with you that there are many who don't take it that way. If the system distracts or detracts from the rest of the site it should probably be removed. It should be obvious that the rep system doesn't really mean anything, I've recently gotten more than one rep for a post about cheese....

Shalom

I like the rep system because for me its just for fun. I would like to see it used just for fun. Its obvious that it is just for fun anyways and doesnt mean anything really. Like Jadants comment above about the cheese, I get a bunch of my pos reps for making people laugh more then I do posting something profound. It shouldnt be that big of a deal. I guess if it becomes too big of an issue then you got to do what you got to do Knight.

Last edited:

truthteller86

We could do it just like Nascar....

With only 10 weeks to go in the Calendar Year, the top "50 " in green "make the chase".
Then the reps are reset back to zero and then the real race is on !
:first: :car:

Real Sorceror

I dont care much about rep points, but I enjoy giving and recieving those private "high fives". That part needs to stay around.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Real Sorceror said:
I dont care much about rep points, but I enjoy giving and recieving those private "high fives". That part needs to stay around.
I agree, but maybe that's another problem with the rep system.

Maybe (and I am just thinking outloud) if we didn't have the rep system we would get more comments on the threads? :think:

Maybe many of the comments that would normally be made on threads are made in private via the rep system?

Just brainstorming here.

Jadant

Knight said:

Maybe (and I am just thinking outloud) if we didn't have the rep system we would get more comments on the threads? :think:

Maybe many of the comments that would normally be made on threads are made in private via the rep system?

Just brainstorming here.

That might be a good point, Knight. I don't think the rep system ever keeps me from posting, but I understand how it could for some people.

Shalom

Knight said:

Just brainstorming here.

A lot of times when a good thread is really rolling in debate when someone makes an awesome post I will use the rep system to give them a :thumb: or a :up: smiley instead of jumping into the middle of it and posting a :thumb: Sometimes posting a :thumb: makes me feel dorky like I am spamming, while on the other hand using the rep system you can do that without interrupting the debate or discussion.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Shalom said:
A lot of times when a good thread is really rolling in debate when someone makes an awesome post I will use the rep system to give them a :thumb: or a :up: smiley instead of jumping into the middle of it and posting a :thumb: Sometimes posting a :thumb: makes me feel dorky like I am spamming, while on the other hand using the rep system you can do that without interrupting the debate or discussion.
I agree with that for sure.

I do that all the time.

For me that is the biggest "pro" for the rep system.

But do the "cons" outweigh the "pros"? :think:

Because I think the "cons" are pretty massive.

Shalom

Knight said:
I agree with that for sure.

I do that all the time.

For me that is the biggest "pro" for the rep system.

But do the "cons" outweigh the "pros"? :think:

Because I think the "cons" are pretty massive.

If the cons outweigh the pros then you should definatley dump it.

Shalom

The rep system is not even what makes TOL so cool anyways. In fact if it didnt exsist at all this would still be hands down the coolest theology website out there.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Shalom said:
The rep system is not even what makes TOL so cool anyways. In fact if it didnt exsist at all it would still be hands down the coolest theology website out there.
TOL has existed almost 10 years. I think we started the rep system about a year ago (or so).

So... the rep system is just a baby in TOL terms. :)

Evee

Knight said:

Just brainstorming here.
I think people would be more open to say what they really think if no rep system.
To me I like telling someone I appreciate their post without a pm.
I really don't think some should be so hung up on reps though.
I like being able to click on the rep system and make a comment, it doesn't matter if I get rep points or not.
I hate when someone negs me with a rude comment though.
Maybe take away the negative part of the rep system.

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
Shalom said:
The rep system is not even what makes TOL so cool anyways. In fact if it didnt exsist at all this would still be hands down the coolest theology website out there.
Amen to that, but I would like to see it stay. It is a great way to reward and punish thoughts.

Shalom

Can you make a way we can still give eachother good or bad feedback without interrupting the thread but not have any "points" or "rep" system?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Shalom said:
Can you make a way we can still give eachother good feedback without interrupting the thread but not have any point or rep system.
Well... I could zero out all the point accumulating features. (I think)

That way no rep would ever increase or decrease.

truthteller86

Knight said:

Just brainstorming here.
For me, the rep system encourages me to make quality posts :think:
... or at a minimum try to make you laugh :rotfl: