Votes: 42 33.6%
  • NO

Votes: 63 50.4%
  • OTHER (explain below)

Votes: 20 16.0%

• Total voters

truthteller86

Evee said:
Maybe take away the negative part of the rep system.
:think: hmmm...Only + reps...that may be a solution ! Then we would be forced to :Clete: in the thread itself...Me likes :thumb:

Shalom

Knight said:
Well... I could zero out all the point accumulating features. (I think)

That way no rep would ever increase or decrease.

I dont know Knight. I think if you have to do something this would be the best alternative but I personally like the current system just the way it is.

Evee

Knight said:
That wouldn't stop people from saying negative things in the rep comment box.
That would be strange to not have a negative rep box and make a positive rep and say some rude comment in the positive rep box.
I hope I made sense.

Mustard Seed

It's really impotent in it's quantifications. The semi-discrete commenting is nice and convenient in tying it to the actual post. And it's entertaining at times to see what you'll get neg repped for. Some people make such arses of themselves when they neg rep.

Evee

truthteller86 said:
:think: hmmm...Only + reps...that may be a solution ! Then we would be forced to :Clete: in the thread itself...Me likes :thumb:
Actually that could be fun... :)

Shalom

In your opinion what is the main issue that causes the obsession and hurt feelings with the current rep system Knight? The points.... or the negative comments? When you say you think the cons outweigh the pros, what is the core issue that people are having with it?

Mustard Seed

Ohhh!!! Better Idea! Add several NEW rep options--

Just for the Heck of it Rep

Completely random nuetral Rep

We could give these rep points so many dimensions! Make it a nonlinear system! One axis would be good and bad reps. The other axis would be profound and inane poles! You could even do a third for Funny and lame rep points. Or even another dimension for spontaneous reps and predictability reps! Then we could REALLY pin people down! There could be pinko vs. capitalist pig reps OR treehugger vs. redneck reps! This could get so accurate! Pigeon hole EVERYONE'S personality!

elected4ever

I had just as soon not have it as it makes no deference tome. It was 6 mo. before I even knew someone even rep me.

When i am impressed with a post I use the SPOTD to voice my approval or disapproval.I think rep points distract from that.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
When the rep system first came online with TOL, I thought, "Oh cool! Another toy!" I played around with it for awhile, figuring it out. Then, I started feeling obligated to rep certain people because they had repped me for what I considered inconsequential posts. So, I took a break from giving any rep at all. I figured that I would only rep posts that I found worthy of my praise or scorn after that. Then, once again, I started feeling somewhat obligated to rep certain people. Right now, I'm back to only repping those posts that I find either really good or really bad.

My pros for the rep system:
  • can give feedback on posts without disrupting threads
    can see what people think of my posts without having threads disrupted

My cons for the rep system:
  • it begins to get cliquish
    I feel obligated to rep people at times.
    People make too big a deal out of the whole thing at times.

Right now, for me, the cons outweigh the pros. But, I would miss being able to give the feedback without disrupting the threads if it were to go. So, basically, I guess I'm saying I don't know. :chuckle:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Shalom said:
I dont know Knight. I think if you have to do something this would be the best alternative but I personally like the current system just the way it is.
I will put that into the "pool of ideas".

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Rep System: (in my opinion)

Cons:
- Hurts feelings when negative rep is given
- Hurts feelings when users have far lower rep than others
- Hides good comments that would otherwise be online
- People say dumb things in private
- People get obsessed with the "chase for the rep"
- Rep's need to get passed onto the database just like posts do therefore the rep system slows down TOL performance
- etc (still thinking of other cons)

Pros:

- Comment on posts without disrupting thread
- Fun to goof around with
- etc (still thinking of other pros)

truthteller86

Wasn't one of TOLs previous header mottos: Where we care more about your eternal future than your feelings...or something like that? :think:

BTW...I'm glad the antithesis of the FoxNews' motto has been replaced...I like the Hell one much better :D

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
truthteller86 said:
BTW...I'm glad the antithesis of the FoxNews' motto has been replaced...I like the Hell one much better :D
:ha: That wasn't the Fox News motto!!!

It was the opposite!

P.S. Bob Enyart thought of that one..... "You Report, We'll Decide!" instead of... "We Report, You Decide."

truthteller86

Knight said:
:ha: That wasn't the Fox News motto!!!

It was the opposite!

P.S. Bob Enyart thought of that one..... "You Report, We'll Decide!" instead of... "We Report, You Decide."
Yeah...I had to look up "antithesis" on wiki before I used it...:D

Freedom Train

BANNED
Banned
I'm relatively new here but I'm negatively impressed with it. The use of negative reps appears to be to a great extent the province of cowards who cannot stand opposing views. Positive rep points are fine; criticizing others is fine, too. If negative rep points had no effect on one's status, I'd have no problem with them being continued to be given, though.