Shooting at SC Church During Bible Study - Suspect still at large

Granite

Hall of Fame
In war, the victors always get to write the history. For over century and a half of federal government propaganda about the causes and effects of the War for Southern Independence has been so effective that Granite even believes it...

The words of the Confederacy's founders speak for themselves, doc. These weren't noble patriots fighting for some glorious cause. They were racists dedicated to promoting and protecting white supremacy right to the death. I'm sick of Confederate romanticism. There's nothing romantic about their cause. These men were morally repugnant traitors and their cause and its symbols belong in a museum or dumpster.

It's this spirit of "romantic" lost causes that persists in South Carolina to this day, and with the results that we see in Charleston.

P.S. Let's not forget Jeff Davis, Longstreet, and others had a chance to write their own history (and did so). You can't sugarcoat what these men fought for, and why. Their nation, despite some individual misgivings on the part of some men who wore gray, was dedicated to the proposition that the white man was created to rule the black.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
This is bazaar:

"In solemn tribute to the nine people gunned down at a Charleston church, two flags atop the statehouse in Columbia, South Carolina, were lowered to half-staff on Thursday. They will stay there for nine days in honor of each victim.

But in a bewildering display, a Confederate flag on statehouse grounds is still flying high. It wasn't an oversight. It's because of state law."

HERE
:doh:

drbrumley

The words of the Confederacy's founders speak for themselves, doc. These weren't noble patriots fighting for some glorious cause. They were racists dedicated to promoting and protecting white supremacy right to the death. I'm sick of Confederate romanticism. There's nothing romantic about their cause. These men were morally repugnant traitors and their cause and its symbols belong in a museum or dumpster.

It's this spirit of "romantic" lost causes that persists in South Carolina to this day, and with the results that we see in Charleston.

P.S. Let's not forget Jeff Davis, Longstreet, and others had a chance to write their own history (and did so). You can't sugarcoat what these men fought for, and why. Their nation, despite some individual misgivings on the part of some men who wore gray, was dedicated to the proposition that the white man was created to rule the black.

What about Lincoln's own words? Or the soldiers letters from both sides? Just ignore that right? Thought so

Granite

Hall of Fame
What about Lincoln's own words? Or the soldiers letters from both sides? Just ignore that right? Thought so

I'll take Lincoln's ambiguity, and struggle over the question of racial equality (and eventual emancipation), over the deplorable and wretched words of Davis and Stephens any day of the week, thank you kindly. The soldiers on both sides were (as usual) trapped in a ghastly situation and most of them would've preferred to be safe and sound at home. This can be said of any army at any time in history. Don't try to sugarcoat or ignore the CSA's foundation and or its national mission: To perpetuate and enshrine the enslavement of an entire race it deemed inferior.

For their flag to fly anywhere in America is despicable and for it to be protected literally under lock and key following the massacre of nine black Americans in a church with a long and significant past is grotesque and indefensible.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
For their flag to fly anywhere in America is despicable and for it to be protected literally under lock and key following the massacre of nine black Americans in a church with a long and significant past is grotesque and indefensible.

It's too late now, but right after the Civil War the United States should have done what Germany did after WWII.

Germany implemented the "Strafgesetzbuch" law. The law prohibits Nazi symbols.

Right after the Civil War, the Confederate Flag should have been outlawed in the USA like the Swastika is outlawed in Germany.

drbrumley

It's too late now, but right after the Civil War the United States should have done what Germany did after WWII.

Germany implemented the "Strafgesetzbuch" law. The law prohibits Nazi symbols.

Right after the Civil War, the Confederate Flag should have been outlawed in the USA like the Swastika is outlawed in Germany.

Apples to Oranges. You guys can't be this dense.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Oh and last but not certainly least, let's not forget blacks owning blacks.....ooooops.

Don't forget the Jew (Judah Benjamin) on the $2.00 Confederate bill.

poster_t43.jpg

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Apparently some people besides me see the connection between the swastika and the Confederate flag:

KKK-Rebel-Flag-Swastika-2.jpg

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Would he have even been arrested if he'd done this in 1865?

Or 1905?

Or 1955?

Of course...And then he would be found not guilty by the all white jury when the only witness/s would either develop amnesia or just turn up, face down. in a bog. :plain:

Quincy

The worst of it is that it's probable that his vile, despicable actions were really born of needing an identity and trying to get some fame. Disgusting.

Indeed. Racial derangement syndrome, maybe? Is that a thing? I can just hear this dorky kid's thoughts now.

"All dem blacks be taking over the world and I can't even get a date with my cousins let alone real grills. Hows I going to go procreate some neo-nazi whiteys now? I gots to go do something to stop it!"

His dad should have bought him a weight bench instead of a gun and told him he's a puny, ugly kid who needs to lift some weights and accomplish something in life. Maybe he would have gotten a wife and baby-nazis in time and would have shed some of the paranoia and oppression delusions. I know people believe you should be nice but some rude truth can work, too.