Shooting at SC Church During Bible Study - Suspect still at large

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Would he have even been arrested if he'd done this in 1865?

Or 1905?

Or 1955?

Probably arrested, but not found guilty.

Back then, the all white courts of the South usually didn't convict a white person for killing blacks.

Even in the mid 60's they didn't do it.

Remember the movie "Mississippi Burning"? In real life those men were all found not guilty in state court (actually, the state refused to even prosecute them). The Feds had to come in and charge the men with Civil Rights Violations. That's the only way those white men went to jail.

Things are different now despite what the media might portray.

The prosecutor won't need the Feds help in finding this kid guilty. Besides, he already confessed.

The question is whether or not they will seek the death penalty for him.

Which raises another interesting question. Most Libs are against the death penalty, while most Conservatives are for it. South Carolina has the death penalty, North Carolina does not; which may or may not be why that's where he fled to, although he didn't fight extradition.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Evolutionists: Whining about a flag while ignoring justice since Friday. :plain:

jeffblue101

more info on how sick and depraved this guy was
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ghter-beloved-husband-gunned-Dylann-Roof.html
The bible study is advertized on the church website and the message says: ‘Is something missing from your life? Are you doing all you can to have a closer relationship with God? If you have a desire to learn more about God, then join us on Wednesdays at 6:00 p.m. in the lower level of the church. We look forward to seeing you.’

Rev Pinckney began the class by asking the gathering to pick up black leather bound King James copies of the bible.

Roof walked in around an hour before the massacre and took a seat by the pastor after being warmly welcomed.

He later told police that he ‘almost didn't go through with it because everyone was so nice to him. But I had to go through with the mission.’

honestly do we really have to waste tax payers dollars on 6 month to a 3 year trial(if the death penalty is pursued) on this guy, execution in cases like these should be swift lasting no more than a month.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
honestly do we really have to waste tax payers dollars on 6 month to a 3 year trial(if the death penalty is pursued) on this guy, execution in cases like these should be swift lasting no more than a month.

How about tomorrow?

A bunch of rocks and a TV camera. :up:

jeffblue101

I like the message of this particular tweet, so i'll just repost it here.

John Hayward
‏@Doc_0
When a historic black church welcomed a white youth into their prayer service, they made a statement no murderer can erase.

jeffblue101

It looks like he bought the gun legally from a gun shop after passing a background check
http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...shooter-purchased-gun-legally-from-gun-store/
On June 19, CNN countered reports that accused Charleston gunman Dylann Roof had received his gun as a gift, citing the law enforcement confirmation that Roof bought his .45 caliber handgun from a gun store in Charleston.

CNN Breaking News tweeted: “Church shooting suspect Dylann Roof bought gun used in shooting at Charleston gun store in April, law enforcement officials say.”

They explained the news with greater detail in an article posted to CNN.com.

They reported:

One key part of this horrific scheme — the weapon — came in April, when Roof bought a .45-caliber handgun at a Charleston gun store, the two law enforcement officials told Perez and Bruer from CNN.

Previous reports have all indicated that Roof was given a gun for his birthday, but Roof’s grandfather presented it differently. He said, “Roof was given ‘birthday money’ and the family didn’t know what [he] did with it.”

Law enforcement simply confirmed Roof bought the gun.

Alate_One

Justice. I think that's the word you're looking for. :up:

Christianity is about justice and mercy. You seem to want to forget about the latter.

And as far as the flag goes . . . Read this opinion piece by Russell Moore (Southern Baptist)

White Christians ought to think about what that flag says to our African American brothers and sisters in Christ, especially in the aftermath of yet another act of white supremacist terrorism against them.

The gospel frees us from scrapping for our “heritage” at the expense of others. As those in Christ, this descendant of Confederate veterans has more in common with a Nigerian Christian than I do with a non-Christian white Mississippian who knows the right use of “y’all” and how to make sweet tea.

None of us is free from a sketchy background, and none of our backgrounds is wholly evil. The blood of Jesus has ransomed us all “from the futile ways inherited from your forefathers” (1 Pet. 1:18), whether your forefathers were Yankees, rebels, Vikings, or whatever. We can give gratitude for where we’ve come from, without perpetuating symbols of pretend superiority over others.

CH8yIzDVEAAB7YL.jpg

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Christianity is about justice.
I know.

You seem to want to forget about the latter.
And you are in fact utterly opposed to the former.

Murderers should be executed swiftly after being found guilty, publicly and painfully. Justice. You want free accommodation and food for them until they are set loose again.

Accusing me of lacking mercy is something you've made up to drive attention away from the fact that you hate justice.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That explains why you're so confused.
Nope. One of the gifts of the Spirit is a sound mind.

Can you show where either Jesus or the Apostle Paul said to kill someone to achieve justice?
You're the one inventing ideas, you bring the evidence.

Can you show where they said we shouldn't?

This Charming Manc

Justice or blood lust?

If you really felt and have deeply experienced the grace you have received why are so unable to offer it to others?

If you and me get 'justice' Stripe we die and burn in hell for all eternity.

How can we accept grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

I know.

And you are in fact utterly opposed to the former.

Murderers should be executed swiftly after being found guilty, publicly and painfully. Justice. You want free accommodation and food for them until they are set loose again.

Accusing me of lacking mercy is something you've made up to drive attention away from the fact that you hate justice.

rexlunae

the people of that church are trying to forgive and forget

The victims' families have shown enormous forbearance and mercy in the face of a kind of evil that so recently took their family members. I'm sure in a place like Charleston, this is equal parts survival strategy and religious devotion, but if you'd been paying any attention to it, not one of them that I heard said that they wanted to forget what happened. Forgiveness yes, as their church teaches, but not pushing the crimes down the memory hole.

but
your kind won't let them
you need the hate to promote your agenda

The United States, South Carolina, and Charleston have to deal with the racial problems that linger. Pretending that they don't exist, or that they are something else will never solve the problem.

jeffblue101

I agree that the flag should be taken down as well, since it is a symbol of slavery and oppression, but its important not to use false history to make a point. just by going to the wiki page of the confederate flag this variant of confederate flag was indeed used a battle flag.

I learn something new every day, I never knew the confederates had different flags.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You're the one inventing ideas, you bring the evidence.

Can you show where they said we shouldn't?

Sure.

I'll give you Jesus, Peter, and Paul

(Matt 5:44) But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

(1 Peter 3:9) Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing,....

(Rom 12: 14-20) Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse..... Do not take revenge,....If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.

Nothing about killing anyone. In fact just the opposite.

jeffblue101

upon reading more of the wiki article. it looks like it was considered a national flag of the confederacy except the x pattern was pasted on a much larger white background.
120px-Confederate_States_Naval_Ensign_after_May_26_1863.svg.png

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Justice or blood lust?

If you really felt and have deeply experienced the grace you have received why are so unable to offer it to others?

If you and me get 'justice' Stripe we die and burn in hell for all eternity.

How can we accept grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

Good post.

The "Christian Right" gives us Christians a bad name (and I'm a conservative)

They want all Muslims and gays executed, and every criminal executed immediately.

They also want to bomb their enemies into oblivion, and they love the military, wars, guns, etc.

But when they do something wrong, they want God's mercy.