Shai Gar - ENTP - Satanist - Theology Debater

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Graphite

See, it's funny that you say that, because Judaism, the religion where the mythology of Christianity springs from, does not have a hellfire and brimstone tradition. The Idea of Eternal Flames comes from Dante Alighieri's work The Divine Comedy. It became popular after the enlightenment years, and the poetic work of fiction (great read by the way) seeped into christian mythology.

Judaism, and therefore Christianity, has a tradition of Sheol, which is a place of spiritual cleansing.

Regardless, I don't believe in your mythology and therefore do not believe I will burn in a hell of Dantes devising.
Your concept of the afterlife comes from a work of fiction?

You're right. You would have gotten along well with Hubbard. :think:

And this jibes with your belief that knowledge = power?

Do you appy that attitude to other areas of life? For example, the rules you follow when driving a car... Do you base that on fiction, as well? For me, red is a passionate color, while green reminds me of nature, so it is soothing... So, when I see red, I want to go, and when I see green, I want to stop and relax.

This attitude works great in life, don't you think? Maybe I'll apply this principle to how I handle my taxes, too!

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Is there one set definition of "the Christian lifestyle"? Is the "lifestyle" of a Christian in Sudan the same as one in South Dakota? Who defines this "lifestyle"? The second you can get Christians the world over to agree on this--or anything else, for that matter--please let me know.
The Christian lifestyle the world over should be evident by the fruits of the Spirit evident in the believers life. That attitude would exist independent of the country or culture the believer lives in. The Christian lifestyle is a life of service to your fellow man.

Granite said:
If you choose to embrace Christianity while remaining ignorant of its history, I submit you are making a enormously poorly-informed mistake. Frankly that's true of any organization or group. Only a fool would change his or her life while deliberately remaining in the dark of a group's particulars.
The groups particulars exist independent of the history of Christianity. It is fine to know its history but one must be very careful to understand that history. That people tortured Jews in Spain in the name of Jesus does not make it a Christian doctrine or even right. History must be compared against the teachings of Christ to determine if what was done was correct. In the case of the inquisition, there is no teaching from Jesus or His apostles that requires we torture people until they believe. The inquisition was wrong and it was not a Christian act even though the framers of the inquisition claim to have been doing Gods work. History does not exist in a vacuum. It must be studied in context and, in the case of Christian history, it must be compared to the teachings of Christ to determine whether is truly representative of the Christian life or not.

Granite

Hall of Fame
The Christian lifestyle the world over should be evident by the fruits of the Spirit evident in the believers life. That attitude would exist independent of the country or culture the believer lives in. The Christian lifestyle is a life of service to your fellow man.

The groups particulars exist independent of the history of Christianity. It is fine to know its history but one must be very careful to understand that history. That people tortured Jews in Spain in the name of Jesus does not make it a Christian doctrine or even right. History must be compared against the teachings of Christ to determine if what was done was correct. In the case of the inquisition, there is no teaching from Jesus or His apostles that requires we torture people until they believe. The inquisition was wrong and it was not a Christian act even though the framers of the inquisition claim to have been doing Gods work. History does not exist in a vacuum. It must be studied in context and, in the case of Christian history, it must be compared to the teachings of Christ to determine whether is truly representative of the Christian life or not.

It should be, I agree. But I don't believe this life of service you just described is self-evident at all. You're describing a lovely humanistic ideal that is contrary to reality.

The particulars are part of the history. Unless you want to send inconvenient facts down a memory hole, you must accept these abuses--and many others--as part of your faith's history. Warts and all, as the saying goes. Telling someone to "just believe in Jesus" does them a grotesque, intensely dishonest disservice.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
It should be, I agree. But I don't believe this life of service you just described is self-evident at all. You're describing a lovely humanistic ideal that is contrary to reality.
Sadly, this is a true statement. We Christians should be servants to those around us, but we rarely are.

Granite said:
The particulars are part of the history. Unless you want to send inconvenient facts down a memory hole, you must accept these abuses--and many others--as part of your faith's history. Warts and all, as the saying goes. Telling someone to "just believe in Jesus" does them a grotesque, intensely dishonest disservice.
Just believe in Jesus does them the best service possible. I don't want people to look at Christian history and conclude good Christians invade Jerusalem and torture non-believers. That is most assuredly not Christian. On the other hand, if you believe in Jesus and spend your time getting to know Him through the Bible then maybe, just maybe, the future of Christianity will be far more Christlike than its history.

Shai Gar

And for all of that, you never got to know the PERSON behind Christianity. That is why you fail. You think Christianity is a history, something to be studied. Christianity is a relationship with God and a choice to live that love.
Please point to the place where I said that. It is impossible to make a study of Christianity the religion and not put a study of the person "Jesus The Anointed One" (because that's what "christ" means, Interesting to note David was also anointed by a prophet of god, I wonder if they called him Christ David in those days... shall have to look into it). I have read the gospels which spell out his life and he seems to be a truly admirable man. However I do not see him as anything other than a man worthy of respect. He certainly said he was the Son of Man often enough, and said that we were all children of god. I don't once recall him ever referring to himself as Incarnate God. Hell, come to that I don't once ever recall God itself ever referring to itself as god. Gods explaination of itself when asked "Are you adonai(lord)?" was "I shall be as I shall be", a very open ended statement if ever there was one.

In summation I respect Jesus as a moral, principled pacifist, in the same way that I respect Guatma, or Mohandas.

Depends on what "it" you are referring to. If it is the history of Christianity then there is a lot to be studied. A large amount of it can be very disturbing. People do terrible things in the name of God, things God never intended and will not condone. On the other hand, if it refers to the Christian lifestyle then you need to have a relationship with Christ and the life you live will reflect the love shared in that relationship. However, you need know nothing of Christian history to be Christian. The converse holds true as well. You can know everything there is to know about Christian history and not be a Christian.
I'm unsure what, specifically, Granite is referring to, however I refer to the mythologies and the histories, and the law of the Jews. Because That's what Jesus was, a Rabbi of Judaism. If you look at Matthew 5:17-20, he says fairly straight forward that the jewish law is still in place, and the only places where he refutes a single line of it was when he said that you may work on the sabbath and still retain its holiness, and where he stopped people from stoning a woman to death for the crime of adultery. In the latter example he didn't refute the law, but rebuked the people who were going to kill her by asking them if they had sin in their past or life.

The history of the people who claim to follow christianity really doesn't matter. What matters is the dogma set in place before Jesus, and ratified by him.

I didn't find Christ, God found me and placed me in His sons hands.
So God physically picked you up, took you up to heaven (where most scholars believe jesus is), and placed you in gods hands? Metaphors are all very well, but if you're attempting to describe a metaphor, it's best to use solid statements instead of obscuring the issue further.

The history of the Christian church is not important to Christian doctrine. It is frequently full of gross violations of Christian doctrines. The Inquisition leaps to mind. The Bible contains the doctrines that are important to those who love and follow Jesus. When we begin to substitute traditions of history for solid doctrine we get is serious trouble seriously fast.
Oh, I agree completely with you in this instance. Perhaps however you need to make a much more indepth study of the religion you claim to follow however if you want to follow christs law instead of what modern priests teach.

Your concept of the afterlife comes from a work of fiction?
See, this is a classic example of taking a persons words and meaning completely out of context. In that post I was refuting the idea of the classic Fire and Brimstone hell that seemed to be preaching. The Fire and Brimstone hell is very much a zoroastrian belief that was reinstated by a poem by Dante. Sheol is the christian/Jewish hell, and it's a limbo where the soul is purified out of the presense of God in order to enter its presense. I can well imagine that according to Jews the idea of being out of the heaven and love of god would have a timeless and torturous feel to it.

You're right. You would have gotten along well with Hubbard. :think:
Yup. But not because of your understanding of the two of us.

Do you appy that attitude to other areas of life? For example, the rules you follow when driving a car... Do you base that on fiction, as well? For me, red is a passionate color, while green reminds me of nature, so it is soothing... So, when I see red, I want to go, and when I see green, I want to stop and relax.

This attitude works great in life, don't you think? Maybe I'll apply this principle to how I handle my taxes, too!
Ohh, hey, look you go right ahead with that. Maybe you'll see where you're wrong, perhaps in prison, or the afterlife you believe in you'll learn the difference between metaphor and reality.

Granite is an igneous rock that is extremely hard to break down. However even if it is then intense heat can melt it down and reforge it into the rock it once was.
Graphite is brittle and easy to crush between the fingers and as a powder can be used to speed you on your way. Graphite doesn't reform as easily as granite.
I think I can see where you get your names from

Shai Gar

Just believe in Jesus does them the best service possible.

It actually does them the worst possible service within the doctrines of your faith.

Jesus said that you won't get into heaven unless: "For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven."

I apologise for using the king james version. I know how badly translated it is, but it gets the message across.

To get into heaven you have to follow The Book of Law(Talmud), The Ten Commandments and The Commandments of Jesus to the letter, as well as believe.

A common christian argument is "It doesn't do any good just to believe in Jesus, for Satan and his demons ALSO believe in Jesus"

The Graphite

See, this is a classic example of taking a persons words and meaning completely out of context. In that post I was refuting the idea of the classic Fire and Brimstone hell that seemed to be preaching. The Fire and Brimstone hell is very much a zoroastrian belief that was reinstated by a poem by Dante. Sheol is the christian/Jewish hell, and it's a limbo where the soul is purified out of the presense of God in order to enter its presense. I can well imagine that according to Jews the idea of being out of the heaven and love of god would have a timeless and torturous feel to it.
You admire Hubbard's invention of his own religion. You are inventing your own religion. That is your work of fiction. You make up your own rules, and think you can live life that way. And yet, of course you don't really live that way on a day-to-day basis. (Hence my example of traffic lights and taxes.) Because if you did, you'd be in jail or dead, and not posting here. And this ultimately means you're a hypocrite.

Ohh, hey, look you go right ahead with that. Maybe you'll see where you're wrong, perhaps in prison, or the afterlife you believe in you'll learn the difference between metaphor and reality.

Granite is an igneous rock that is extremely hard to break down. However even if it is then intense heat can melt it down and reforge it into the rock it once was.
Graphite is a sedimentary rock that's brittle and easy to crush between the fingers and as a powder can be used to speed you on your way. Graphite doesn't reform as easily as granite.
I think I can see where you get your names from
If I don't change with every shifting wind, I consider that a compliment. However, my name is a play on words, coming from the Koine Greek word for "to write," that being "grapho." Thus, in a playful, word-play kind of way, it means "the writer."

Of course, if you prefer the company of a person with a head full of rocks, you're welcome to it. ;)

Granite

Hall of Fame
Sadly, this is a true statement. We Christians should be servants to those around us, but we rarely are.

Just believe in Jesus does them the best service possible. I don't want people to look at Christian history and conclude good Christians invade Jerusalem and torture non-believers. That is most assuredly not Christian. On the other hand, if you believe in Jesus and spend your time getting to know Him through the Bible then maybe, just maybe, the future of Christianity will be far more Christlike than its history.

"Just believe in Jesus" assumes an awful lot:

1) that Jesus existed
2) that the evidence for his existence is persuasive
3) that there's evidence at all, for that matter
4) that the depiction we have of him is accurate

I could go on. You see my point. Why is it, CM, that virtually no religion on the planet ever offers full disclosure right up front to its would-be converts? Now that would be interesting. In fact, I think I may have struck upon an idea for a new thread.:think:

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
It actually does them the worst possible service within the doctrines of your faith.

Jesus said that you won't get into heaven unless: "For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven."

I apologise for using the king james version. I know how badly translated it is, but it gets the message across.

To get into heaven you have to follow The Book of Law(Talmud), The Ten Commandments and The Commandments of Jesus to the letter, as well as believe.

A common christian argument is "It doesn't do any good just to believe in Jesus, for Satan and his demons ALSO believe in Jesus"
If you're going to quote scripture, please try to keep it within the context in which it was originally offered. Go back to the bible and look at the whole passage and see to whom Jesus was speaking and why. You may be surprised to learn that Jesus was addressing salvation by trying to keep the law perfectly and pointing out that it can't be done. Hence the need ofr a savior.

Shai Gar

You admire Hubbard's invention of his own religion. You are inventing your own religion. That is your work of fiction. You make up your own rules, and think you can live life that way. And yet, of course you don't really live that way on a day-to-day basis. (Hence my example of traffic lights and taxes.) Because if you did, you'd be in jail or dead, and not posting here. And this ultimately means you're a hypocrite.
I don't live this way on a day to day basis? You can see, or prove this? What makes the doctrines of my religion a work of fiction? Your own personal belief, or the work of fiction that you believe in?

If I don't change with every shifting wind, I consider that a compliment.
Not shifting with new tides of information (shifting, not retreating) is not a compliment, it's a dangerous position as eventually the rock beneath you will be eroded and you will fall.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
"Just believe in Jesus" assumes an awful lot:

1) that Jesus existed
2) that the evidence for his existence is persuasive
3) that there's evidence at all, for that matter
4) that the depiction we have of him is accurate

I could go on. You see my point. Why is it, CM, that virtually no religion on the planet ever offers full disclosure right up front to its would-be converts? Now that would be interesting. In fact, I think I may have struck upon an idea for a new thread.:think:
This is where the believer and the non-believer have the greatest degree of misunderstanding and I contributed to that with my previous statement.

In the Christian faith, full disclosure does occur up front but not by men. My faith in God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit are not born of me. My faith is a gift from God. I was open to receiving it and I did. Once God opened my eyes, then i could see truth where I had only previously seen a book I could use to mock and ridicule small minded Christians over.

Nonbelievers will typically assume that faith in God is like faith in Santa Clause. As children, we all have an unquestioning belief that Santa is real and the North Pole is real. As we grow older, as we learn more, that belief, that faith, gradually is replaced by knowledge. Yet faith in God continues. A great many people believe in God with absolute certainty that Santa only exists in the heart of a parent. Faith in God must come from some place other than our own minds. I have been assailed for a long time about my beliefs. I have ridiculed and will probably continue to be mocked as a weak minded man for years to come and yet faith persists. Why? What makes my faith so strong in the face of such adversity? My faith is strong because it is given to me by God. It is hard to understand but that is the heart of it.

Shai Gar

Nonbelievers will typically assume that faith in God is like faith in Santa Clause. As children, we all have an unquestioning belief that Santa is real and the North Pole is real.
Uhh, The North Pole is. It's a human invention to describe a position on the globe and in cartography. I could show you pictures if you want, and the math that creates it.

The Graphite

Not shifting with new tides of information (shifting, not retreating) is not a compliment, it's a dangerous position as eventually the rock beneath you will be eroded and you will fall.
You still betray your misunderstanding.

I don't stand on myself. (That would be a neat trick.) I am not the rock I stand on. I am "the writer." I stand on the Rock, and His name is Jesus Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.