Shai Gar - ENTP - Satanist - Theology Debater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I, however, would be curious to know which path you follow. I've not met any satanists who have turned to the religion through choice rather than the attempt to annoy their parents in some form of teenage rebellion.

Send me a PM if you like. And welcome to TOL! As I advise all newcomers, wear a helmet.

Shai Gar

I just received an infraction, and my understanding with infractions is that they carry a penalty of some sort. Since I'm unable to PM you granite I'm going to assume that is a part of the penalty.

I've listed my IMs under my name, if you add me we could discuss it.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I just received an infraction, and my understanding with infractions is that they carry a penalty of some sort. Since I'm unable to PM you granite I'm going to assume that is a part of the penalty.

I've listed my IMs under my name, if you add me we could discuss it.

Actually you may need to hit a certain number of posts to send and receive private messages. I forgot about that. My mistake.

Suffice to say that I made my choice for my own reasons--but annoying my parents (with whom I have a wonderful relationship) was definitely not one of them. And the last thing I am is a teenager, thank goodness.

Shai Gar

Those two statements are mutually exclusive.

At least for the most part. :)

Except a big part of my study at the theological college was christianity, and I was an evangelist as a child so I got to know the history and the theology behind christianity.

Shai Gar

Actually you may need to hit a certain number of posts to send and receive private messages. I forgot about that. My mistake.

Suffice to say that I made my choice for my own reasons--but annoying my parents (with whom I have a wonderful relationship) was definitely not one of them. And the last thing I am is a teenager, thank goodness.

I have an excellent relationship with my father as well, though he's off in Afghanistan as a chaplain at the moment. Some of the best fun I have with him is arguing theology. What were the studies or choices that took you to the left handed path?

I studied a number of things relating to satanism, but I didn't really make the choice until I read the satanist bible laughing the whole way through and thought, yup, this is me all right.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Except a big part of my study at the theological college was christianity, and I was an evangelist as a child so I got to know the history and the theology behind christianity.
Exactly!

Recipe for ending up in hell....

- Be an evangelist as a child
- Go to a seminary and study Christianity

Studying Christianity in college is a bit like allowing communists to teach you everything you want to know about free-market capitalism.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I have an excellent relationship with my father as well, though he's off in Afghanistan as a chaplain at the moment. Some of the best fun I have with him is arguing theology. What were the studies or choices that took you to the left handed path?

I studied a number of things relating to satanism, but I didn't really make the choice until I read the satanist bible laughing the whole way through and thought, yup, this is me all right.

Same here. I think that's fairly common.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
And for all of that, you never got to know the PERSON behind Christianity. That is why you fail. You think Christianity is a history, something to be studied. Christianity is a relationship with God and a choice to live that love.

Granite

Hall of Fame
And for all of that, you never got to know the PERSON behind Christianity. That is why you fail. You think Christianity is a history, something to be studied. Christianity is a relationship with God and a choice to live that love.

It is a subject worthy of study. If you don't, you're just being willfully ignorant. There's a lot more to it than "Love Jesus" and "the Bible tells me so."

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
It is a subject worthy of study. If you don't, you're just being willfully ignorant. There's a lot more to it than "Love Jesus" and "the Bible tells me so."
Depends on what "it" you are referring to. If it is the history of Christianity then there is a lot to be studied. A large amount of it can be very disturbing. People do terrible things in the name of God, things God never intended and will not condone. On the other hand, if it refers to the Christian lifestyle then you need to have a relationship with Christ and the life you live will reflect the love shared in that relationship. However, you need know nothing of Christian history to be Christian. The converse holds true as well. You can know everything there is to know about Christian history and not be a Christian.

Egbert

Please read the next sentence in my post from which you took this.

I did, but that does not explain how you found out God was real in the first place, or how you learned about the doctrines of Christianity. I think the history is pretty important for understanding those things.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
I did, but that does not explain how you found out God was real in the first place, or how you learned about the doctrines of Christianity. I think the history is pretty important for understanding those things.
I didn't find Christ, God found me and placed me in His sons hands. The history o the Christian church is not important to Christian doctrine. It is frequently full of gross violations of Christian doctrines. The Inquisition leaps to mind. The Bible contains the doctrines that are important to those who love and follow Jesus. When we begin to substitute traditions of history for solid doctrine we get is serious trouble seriously fast.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Depends on what "it" you are referring to. If it is the history of Christianity then there is a lot to be studied. A large amount of it can be very disturbing. People do terrible things in the name of God, things God never intended and will not condone. On the other hand, if it refers to the Christian lifestyle then you need to have a relationship with Christ and the life you live will reflect the love shared in that relationship. However, you need know nothing of Christian history to be Christian. The converse holds true as well. You can know everything there is to know about Christian history and not be a Christian.

Is there one set definition of "the Christian lifestyle"? Is the "lifestyle" of a Christian in Sudan the same as one in South Dakota? Who defines this "lifestyle"? The second you can get Christians the world over to agree on this--or anything else, for that matter--please let me know.

If you choose to embrace Christianity while remaining ignorant of its history, I submit you are making a enormously poorly-informed mistake. Frankly that's true of any organization or group. Only a fool would change his or her life while deliberately remaining in the dark of a group's particulars.

Shai Gar

Exactly!

Recipe for ending up in hell....

- Be an evangelist as a child
- Go to a seminary and study Christianity

Studying Christianity in college is a bit like allowing communists to teach you everything you want to know about free-market capitalism.
Could you back that up with religious quotations? First sources would be best, I am never swayed by personal opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.