Samuel Lamerson on forgiveness

temple2006

Eloyhim....What a beautiful post!

Rimi.....Jesus came to instruct humanity in the way to salvation. In my case, salvation is not some place with pearly gates and golden streets, but it is peace of mind and heart here and now in his beautiful world. "I have come so that they may have life and have it more abundantly. Remember?
I believe that Jesus is the definitive revelation of God. He did not live a fearful life and neither do I.

elohiym

Friends,

Thank you for the blessings and kind words. God bless you all.

jeremiah said:
God did love us while we were yet sinners, but we remained dead in our sins and condemned to eternal death until we repented. It is that kind of Love, or "Kindness that leads us to Repentance."
What you say is absolutely true. But do we agree on what it means to repent, Jeremiah?

When I say repent, based on my understanding of the word as it is used in the Bible, I mean to be converted (born again). When we are converted and turn away from sin, we are turning completely from darkness to light.

Because I define repent as totally turning from darkness to light, I can accept Samuel Lamerson's conclusion that "The unforgiving person is the unforgiven person." My difficulty is with the conclusion that forgiveness comes after repentance.

jeremiah said:
We can love without forgiving, but we can't forgive until someone repents, because that is what God is doing.
Jesus taught:

Mark 11:25 And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.

In such a situation, when one is praying in private (as Jesus taught), it is absolutely clear we would be forgiving without repentance from the "forgiven" person.

I believe that God's forgiveness is extended to us before repentance, and we should extend our forgiveness to others before repentance; but if they do not repent, then they have not changed, and thus remain unforgiven.

Peace

###

Last edited:

PureX

elohiym said:
Jesus taught:

Mark 11:25 And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.

In such a situation, when one is praying in private (as Jesus taught), it is absolutely clear we would be forgiving without repentance from the "forgiven" person.

I believe that God's forgiveness is extended to us before repentance, and we should extend our forgiveness to others before repentance; but if they do not repent, then they have not changed, and thus remain unforgiven.
So, you're saying that we forgive people, then wait to see if they repent, and if they don't repent we un-forgive them??? I'm confused.

elohiym

PureX said:
So, you're saying that we forgive people, then wait to see if they repent, and if they don't repent we un-forgive them??? I'm confused.
I'll use the parable of the wicked servant in Matthew to clarify my position.

Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants. And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents. But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made.

We can equate this situation with our state prior to being born again. We have a massive sin debt that we do not have the means to pay. The outcome if we don't pay is bondage (servant of sin), and that is fatal.

The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.

We cannot equate the wicked servants request with repentance because repentance is not propitiation. We do not repent by trying to pay back a debt that is impossible to pay; those attempting to pay back the debt to obtain forgiveness are called self-righteous. So the wicked servant did not repent; he only made a self-righteous statement in ignorance.

Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt.

We can equate the forgiveness of the king towards the wicked servant to grace. The grace of God is his forgiving mercy. Romans 11:6; Eph. 2:5. There was no repentance shown by the wicked servant even though God extended His forgiving mercy.

But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest. And his fellowservant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee all. And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt.

Because the wicked servant did not repent, he does not manifest the fuit of the spirit. Galatians 5:22 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith..." That is evident in his unrighteous works against his fellow servant.

So when his fellowservants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done. Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me: Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee?

There can be no doubt that God ties compassion and pity to forgiveness. God's mercy is forgiving mercy.

And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.

All that is still due to the king is the repentance of the wicked servant; but that will not be achieved with more "lip-service-worship," unattainable promises, or a more sincere "I'm sorry." The wicked servant needs to change; he needs to become a new creature. That would be repentance, and it would be evident in his fruits. Matthew 7:20 "Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them."

If that still was not clear, then think of forgiveness as a ball. God throws forgiveness to you (mercy), and you must catch it (repent). If you don't catch it, it doesn't mean that God didn't throw it. Catching does not come before throwing.

Peace

###

elected4ever

PureX said:
To repent means to change in the sense of its meaning here. A person can repent with out the forgiveness of the wronged party.

Forgiveness is different. What it means is that the wronged party hold guiltless the wrong doer. Forgiveness is separate and apart from repentance. Just because a person repents does not make forgiveness automatic.

A person may be an atheist for example and then adopts a belief in a god of sorts; Hinduism for example.The atheist has repented from his belief in no gods to a belief in a god. That is a change in the direction of the persons belief but forgiveness is not obtained because the change is to the wrong god. There would be no forgiveness from the God of the Bible because the repentance is not directed toward Him.

Jesus teaches that we ought to forgive others just as God has forgiven us. In this case our forgiveness of others shows our appreciation for the appreciation for the forgiveness that has been shown to us.

When a person has been offered forgiveness does not mean that that forgiveness has been received by the person to which the forgiveness was offered.

An example, lets say a man cheats on his wife regularly. and then is caught by his wife and the man repents saying, "forgive me I wont do it again." In fact the man stops cheating on his wife. The wife then says, "I forgive you." The man is not forgiven though the forgiveness has been offered to him. The man must receive the forgiveness.

The man who has been offered forgiveness has a friend who has borrowed some tools from him and the tools were left out in the weather and were rendered useless. The borrower, after been confronted, repents but does not have the means to replace the tools even though he has a sincere desire to do so. Action is taken against the borrower and the first man treats the man with disdain even though the first man had the ability to offer forgiveness to the borrower.

The wife looks at what has happened and concludes that her husband is not accepted her forgiveness and only changed to prevent a divorce in which she would have cleaned his clock. She sees a selfish man who has not repented and has not accepted the forgiveness that she offered. He has not changed (repented) so she withdraws the offer of of forgiveness and files for divorce and cleans him out lock, stock and barrow.

The cheating husband was only afraid of losing all and attempted to appease his wife by changing the actions and not his mind. His desire was still to cheat on his wife. If he were truly repentant he would have changed his mine and accepted the forgiveness that was offered to him. He would then treat others as he himself was treated.

That is the evidence of a repentant heart and forgiveness accepted and appreciated.

jeremiah

BANNED
Banned
Because I define repent as totally turning from darkness to light, I can accept Samuel Lamerson's conclusion that "The unforgiving person is the unforgiven person." My difficulty is with the conclusion that forgiveness comes after repentance.

Jesus taught:

Peace

###[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is very well expressed. The passages on forgiveness are very difficult, because first it is so difficult for us to forgive, and secondly many of them seem to contradict each other.
Certainly the passages about Church discipline and removing admitted sinners who refuse to repent, even when confronted by the whole Church are clear! They have not repented and to then forgive them, and have them remain in the Church, would lead to many people "doing what is right in their own eyes."
Each person would be their own judge before God, and the Church would, in effect, have no authority from God to judge. We know that this is not true, according to the Bible. The Church is allowed to judge, and the only penalty they are allowed to enforce is disfellowshipping a member, and then turning that person over to Satan for the destruction of their flesh. The hope is that it will cause that person to repent.
Equally clear is the command to forgive someone who asks you for their forgiveness, even 7x70.
Yet now we are also commanded to forgive someone while we are praying to God, if we have something against them.
So let us say that the married man next door is committing adultery with another man's wife. The husband of that wife is enraged and embittered. He now hates his neighbor and is extremely angry at his wife. He is thinking terrible things, and wants to commit violence against one, or both of them.
Now he goes to pray and he remembers the words of Jesus in Mark 11-25 and 26. He now must forgive them for breaking the 6th commandment, because it has caused him to sin, through hating, and bitterness, and violent intentions. Their sin has caused him to sin, because we are all have a sin nature.
If he does not forgive them of adultery, how can God forgive him and listen to his prayers while he has intense hatred, that could possibly lead to murder, in his heart, while he is praying.
The man will then receive wisdom from God as to how to rebuke and convict his wife and neighbor to lead them to repentance. Or in this instance he is free to put her out and divorce her, biblically. He is not allowed to sin and remain bitter towards his wife, all the rest of the days of his life, and pray to God with unforgiveness and hatred towards others in his heart. { And we wonder, why God does not answer our prayers, and things don't change}
I tried to pick the most difficult circumstance that I could think of so that we both would realize how difficult forgiveness is, and how it is different within a Church and for an individual in prayer.
To sum it up, here is my point. You must forgive someone who has sinned against you and then you sinned against them in return. Otherwise you will not be forgiven by the Father. In no instance does that mean that their sin is forgiven before God, unless and until they repent of it, and the goal of every believer should be to continue to admonish a sinner until they repent, and then they can be forgiven before God and man.
We believers will be held accountable and will suffer loss for every sin that we hold on to until our death....... yet we will be saved, as through fire.
That is the way that I understand these passages, and I admit that I could be wrong, about the more difficult ones. Whenever justice and mercy clash, it is truly an "art" to resolve them in love, the Love of God.

elohiym

For the record, I do not believe God ever takes back His forgiveness.

Using the ball analogy, God throws forgiveness (mercy) and we catch it (repent); but if we don't catch the ball, it doesn't bounce back to God; it just sits there on the ground in front of us. We are tormented if we continue to ask God to throw the ball to us, not realizing that it is sitting right at our feet ready to be picked up.

If we cannot throw that ball to someone else, we never caught the ball.

Peace

###

PureX

elohiym said:
I'll use the parable of the wicked servant in Matthew to clarify my position....
So, according to the moral of this story of the wicked servant, a Christian, believing that he has already been forgiven by God, should in turn forgive his fellows. And if he does not do so even after having been forgiven himself, then God will withdraw his original forgiveness (because the "Christian" has not truly repented).

Is this what you're saying?

PureX

elohiym said:
For the record, I do not believe God ever takes back His forgiveness.

Using the ball analogy, God throws forgiveness (mercy) and we catch it (repent); but if we don't catch the ball, it doesn't bounce back to God; it just sits there on the ground in front of us. We are tormented if we continue to ask God to throw the ball to us, not realizing that it is sitting right at our feet ready to be picked up.

If we cannot throw that ball to someone else, we never caught the ball.

Peace

###
So if someone steals your car, will you forgive them for what they've done to you, or will you insist that they repent, first? This doesn't seem to be getting any clearer.

Patmos

Does this help with the car theft question?

Psalm 51:4 4. Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou Judgest.

:)

PureX

Patmos said:
Does this help with the car theft question?

Psalm 51:4 4. Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou Judgest.

:)
Are you saying that we "sin" only against God, and so the question of forgiving others is only a personal and internal issue?

I also don't understand Elohiym's ball analogy. Either we forgive those who have harmed us, or we don't. I don't see how their "accepting" our forgiveness has anything to do with our forgiving them. And frankly, I don't see how their forgiving others or not has anything to do with it, either, unless we are demanding that conditions be met before we will "forgive". But then if we are demanding conditions, it's not really forgiveness, is it?

elected4ever

PureX said:
So if someone steals your car, will you forgive them for what they've done to you, or will you insist that they repent, first? This doesn't seem to be getting any clearer.
Wrong question. When someone steals a car it is a violation of criminal law. The law demands satisfaction not the owner of the car. Forgiveness by an individual only applies when it is in the power of the individual to forgive.

PureX

elected4ever said:
Wrong question. When someone steals a car it is a violation of civil law. The law demands satisfaction not the owner of the car. Forgiveness by an individual only applies when it is in the power of the individual to forgive.
I agree that the theft of property is a social crime, but it's also a harm done to you, directly. You will not have the right or ability to forgive the thief's crime against society, but you do still have the right and ability to forgive the thief's harm to you as a person.

So would you?

elected4ever

PureX said:
I agree that the theft of property is a social crime, but it's also a harm done to you, directly. You will not have the right or ability to forgive the thief's crime against society, but you do still have the right and ability to forgive the thief's harm to you as a person.

So would you?
I don't see it that way but be that as it may. The owner of the car has no authority to hold harmless.

PureX

elected4ever said:
I don't see it that way but be that as it may. The owner of the car has no authority to hold harmless.
If you don't believe that stealing your property is a sin against you, as well as a social crime, what would you consider a "sin" against you?

elohiym

PureX said:
I also don't understand Elohiym's ball analogy. Either we forgive those who have harmed us, or we don't. I don't see how their "accepting" our forgiveness has anything to do with our forgiving them.
Yes, we forgive them, whether they accept the forgiveness or not. We don't withdraw our forgiveness because they don't feel forgiven, or because they don't understand forgiveness, or because they refuse to stop doing what we forgive them for.

Example: I forgive the kid that molested me when I was a child. He has never sought me out to apologize, and I don't see how he could find me even if he wanted to, yet nobody can tell me I don't sincerely forgive him with all my heart. I do. Even if he had found me and apologized, I would not consider it repentance. Biblically speaking, that isn't repentance. (I would still accept his apology and say I forgive you, of course) But if the kid grew into a man that turned from sin, became born again, and was no longer capable of doing to anyone else what he did to me, that would be true biblical repentance.

PureX said:
And frankly, I don't see how their forgiving others or not has anything to do with it, either, unless we are demanding that conditions be met before we will "forgive". But then if we are demanding conditions, it's not really forgiveness, is it?
Their forgiving others means they have the fruit of the spirit, meaning they are born again. It is not a condition of forgiveness, but evidence that one has been forgiven.

Peace

###

PureX

elohiym said:
Yes, we forgive them, whether they accept the forgiveness or not. We don't withdraw our forgiveness because they don't feel forgiven, or because they don't understand forgiveness, or because they refuse to stop doing what we forgive them for.
That's much clearer, but I suspect you won't be getting any more weenie points around here for having stating it so clearly. *smile*

elohiym

PureX said:
That's much clearer, but I suspect you won't be getting any more weenie points around here for having stating it so clearly. *smile*
That's what I stated all along; that I believe God forgives us before we repent, and so should we. The falsification for that is "Grace is not forgiving mercy."

I'm certainly open to a greater understanding of this subject, but whatever conclusions I come to need to be in harmony with the rest of what I'm reading in the Bible.

Peace

###

temple2006

E4E....To repent means to change in the sense of its meaning here. A person can repent with out the forgiveness of the wronged party.

Absolutely, I agree. In my estimation, FORGIVNESS IS AN ATTITUDE, You either live it or not.