Samuel Lamerson on forgiveness

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
"[size=-1]I believe that a careful examination of the texts will show that it is not only unwise, but also unscriptural to forgive an unrepentant person."
[/size]
[size=+1]
Forgiveness in the Gospel of Matthew
[/size]
[size=-1]
© Samuel Lamerson[/size]
[size=-1]

Sam, I think you fit in perfectly here at TOL! :up:
[/size]

RightIdea

Heh heh.... Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then. :chuckle:

Just teasin', doc! :thumb:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
RightIdea said:
Heh heh.... Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then. :chuckle:

Just teasin', doc! :thumb:
Ouch! :eek:

That's a bit harsh don't ya think? I do realize you were teasing, but still.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Knight said:
"[size=-1]I believe that a careful examination of the texts will show that it is not only unwise, but also unscriptural to forgive an unrepentant person."
[/size]
[size=+1]
[/size]
[size=-1]
© Samuel Lamerson[/size]
[size=-1]

[/size]
:BRAVO:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Great article!

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Sam, if you read this thread it might please you to know that we at TOL have been battling this issue of forgiveness for several years. It is refreshing to find folks such as yourself who can faithfully describe righteous forgiveness.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Knight said:
[/size]
[size=+1]
[/size]
[size=-1]
© Samuel Lamerson[/size]
[size=-1]

[/size]

:up:

Crow

Knight said:
[/size]
[size=+1]
[/size]
[size=-1]
© Samuel Lamerson[/size]
[size=-1]

[/size]

Great! Forgiveness without repentance may make the one who forgives feel that they have done a nice thing, but it does nothing to spur the growth of the transgressor.

Emo

S.L. said:
The attitude of Christ teaches that one must always be willing to forgive the repentant sinner. That is, that the offer of forgiveness must always be open to the unrepentant brother, in hope that they will one day see the error of their way.

:up:

Of course, this makes total sense. Christ continues to leave the door open for those who are willing to repent & glady accept Him as Savior.

PureX

Crow said:
Great! Forgiveness without repentance may make the one who forgives feel that they have done a nice thing, but it does nothing to spur the growth of the transgressor.
Neither does not forgiving them. It's an illusion to think that you can control the spiritual inclinations of other people. You can't. And as often as not your "rebuke" will just harden them.

And anyway, you can "rebuke" them and still forgive them. And you don't even have to tell them about it. So there's really no reason not to forgive others unless you want to hold on to that self-righteous resentment. But why would anyone want to do that?

Crow

PureX said:
And anyway, you can "rebuke" them and still forgive them. And you don't even have to tell them about it. So there's really no reason not to forgive others unless you want to hold on to that self-righteous resentment. But why would anyone want to do that?

Purex, I became a Christian because of Bob Enyart's ministry. So apparantly your "logic" about rebuke hardening people is not universally applicable.

Christian forgiveness is about reconcilliation, not personal "feel-good." And reconcilliation takes both parties, not just one. My "feelings" aren't the main object of Christian forgiveness.

temple2006

It's a long story, Nin, but I have to ask if you consider yourself the dispenser of punitive justice. I guess I have to merit your blessing. Is that what was done for you? Remember you are nobody until somebody loves you. Can you and I be friends even if we disagree? Don't be dissing me....I don't diss you.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
temple 2000 said:
It's a long story, Nin, but I have to ask if you consider yourself the dispenser of punitive justice. I guess I have to merit your blessing. Is that what was done for you? Remember you are nobody until somebody loves you. Can you and I be friends even if we disagree? Don't be dissing me....I don't diss you.

What on earth are you talking about?

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
PureX said:
And anyway, you can "rebuke" them and still forgive them.
Yes, one can. But one should only if he repents.

And you don't even have to tell them about it.

Open rebuke is better
Than love carefully concealed. Proverbs 27:5​
So there's really no reason not to forgive others unless you want to hold on to that self-righteous resentment. But why would anyone want to do that?
I'd rather follow Jesus' instructions than PureX's.

[jesus]Take heed to yourselves. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and IF he repents, forgive him.[/jesus] Luke 17:3​

Sozo

PureX said:
It's an illusion to think that you can control the spiritual inclinations of other people. [/i]

What does forgiveness have to do with someone's "spiritual inclinations"? Forgiving or not forgiving has everything to do with something you know nothing about...

Right and Wrong.

And as often as not your "rebuke" will just harden them.
People harden their own hearts, but if a rebuke does not set them straight, it may send a message to others who might consider the same offense. When I rebuke my child, it sends a clear message to the other children in our family, and it also sends a message to them when they see the rebuked child repent, and my forgiveness being extended in love. It is obvious that you lack any understanding about this subject.

Btw... why do you care about the idea of forgiveness or unforgiveness anyway? I thought that you believed that there are no absolutes, and therefore no one would ever have need of forgiveness?

Last edited:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Sozo said:
What does forgiveness have to do with someone's "spiritual inclinations"? Forgiving or not forgiving has everything to do with something you know nothing about...

Right and Wrong.

People harden their own hearts, but if a rebuke does not set them straight, it may send a message to others who might consider the same offense. When I rebuke my child, it sends a clear message to the other children in our family, and it also sends a message to them when they see the rebuked child repent, and my forgiveness being extended in love. It is obvious that you lack any understanding about this subject.

Btw... why do you care about the idea of forgiveness or unforgiveness anyway? I thought that you believed that there are no absolutes, and therefore no one would ever have need of forgiveness?

POTD :up: