Robin Williams commits suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doormat

my sons could say the same thing about their toes when they were real little

just saying

Your children's toes never made me laugh once.

And I'm positive that Robin Williams made me laugh more than my toes ever did.

I'm struggling to think of another actor/comedian that made me laugh so many times over the years.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It's tragic that Robin Williams committed suicide. Suicide is a horrible thing. What a sad, sad, way to go.

However....
I must be the only person on earth that didn't think he was funny.

PureX

I was never much impressed with the hyperactive Robin Williams. He did have an astonishingly quick wit, but his delivery was annoying. For that sort of lightening fast ad-libbing I preferred his mentor, Jonathan Winters. And it was mostly because as fast as his mind was, his delivery was relaxed.

But when it came poignancy via comedic acting, no one could surpass Robin Williams. I can't even think of anyone in the same league.

I don't know what he was dealing with, so I don't want to pass judgment on his possible suicide, but his creative genius sure will be missed by a lot of people.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
However....

I didn't think he was that funny either, except for Mork & Mindy, but I was 14 when I watched Mork & Mindy.

According to the latest news.......it appears Williams hung himself, and slashed his wrist.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It's tragic that Robin Williams committed suicide. Suicide is a horrible thing. What a sad, sad, way to go.

However....
Oh, I think you might be surprised. A lot of people aren't particularly amused by the late Jonathan Winters either. But I thought both could be riotously funny and sharp in social satire. Some of their shtick got old though.

It's a bit like Steve Martin. In his day a lot of his concert material was fresh and really funny, but wouldn't play today at all and he doesn't try to keep riding that. He moved on. Williams didn't seem to. I think that's one reason his television show was more wince worthy than chuckle.

It happens. It happened to Bob Hope, sparking the SNL news bit where the anchor intoned, "The statute of limitations has tolled on respecting Bob Hope for his earlier body of work..."

Maybe that played into Williams' depression. I don't know. I thought he was a gifted actor and creative whirlwind. I'm sorry to see that capacity wasted and that much promise cut off short of its potential, to say nothing of the human tragedy...just a sad business.

S0ZO

However....
For the most part, I agree with you. I saw him live once, and it wasn't funny at all. But, I did like Mork and Mindy, at the time.

IMJerusha

Oh, I think you might be surprised. A lot of people aren't particularly amused by the late Jonathan Winters either. But I thought both could be riotously funny and sharp in social satire. Some of their shtick got old though.

It's a bit like Steve Martin. In his day a lot of his concert material was fresh and really funny, but wouldn't play today at all and he doesn't try to keep riding that. He moved on. Williams didn't seem to. I think that's one reason his television show was more wince worthy than chuckle.

It happens. It happened to Bob Hope, sparking the SNL news bit where the anchor intoned, "The statute of limitations has tolled on respecting Bob Hope for his earlier body of work..."

Maybe that played into Williams' depression. I don't know. I thought he was a gifted actor and creative whirlwind. I'm sorry to see that capacity wasted and that much promise cut off short of its potential, to say nothing of the human tragedy...just a sad business.

I saw rare few interviews of Williams when he would simply be himself and the times that I did see gave a glimpse into a very quiet and reserved, even tentative person. Comedy is often the coverup for a plethora of pain. Too many comedians go the route of suicide. We should pray for his family, especially his children.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

However....
I didn't find him very funny either. His humor didn't click with me.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Really sad. How odd it is that so many people with the empathy and wit to be great comics, have such sadness that they die like that.

I didn't care for the occasional foulmouth, but he was truly funny, most obviously because he could get into other people's heads and almost become them. His impressions of public figures were unmatched.

I'll miss him.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame

However....

Sad as it may be, Robin did this to himself committing probably the most selfish act a person can commit, taking ones own life. My nephew took his own life about a year ago and though I loved him it really angered me that he thought his problems were too great to stick it out, reach out to his family, etc. so he took the easy way out and left us all with nothing but, grief and it is no different for Robin Williams' family...it is a very selfish act indeed. I feel for William's family who have to endure the aftermath of his action.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I did not like Mork & Mindy, or 'Good morning Vietnam" I did like some of his movies, such as "Awakenings" with De Niro, and "Dead Poets Society"

Suicide is tragic, especially when one does it out of a sense of a loss of what is essential.

I feel sorry about it, but that is not saying much. It is always a loss when one cannot take life, a real sad loss, no matter who one is.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I saw rare few interviews of Williams when he would simply be himself and the times that I did see gave a glimpse into a very quiet and reserved, even tentative person. Comedy is often the coverup for a plethora of pain. Too many comedians go the route of suicide. We should pray for his family, especially his children.

YES, as he was playing Dr. Malcolm Sayer in "Awakenings"

alwight

However....
No, I'm with you, but he was one of a kind and entertaining in other ways.
I'm almost the same age as he was, but life's way too short to deliberately end it all, it seems such a selfish act that only hurts the living not the dead. If someone in his position gets nothing from life what hope is there for so many untalented deprived and unhappy people who nevertheless still carry on regardless. I perhaps resent him now for taking the easy way out. :plain:

meshak

BANNED
Banned
No, I'm with you, but he was one of a kind and entertaining in other ways.
I'm almost the same age as he was, but life's way too short to deliberately end it all, it seems such a selfish act that only hurts the living not the dead. If someone in his position gets nothing from life what hope is there for so many untalented deprived and unhappy people who nevertheless still carry on regardless. I perhaps resent him now for taking the easy way out. :plain:

Suicidal people cannot think anything else but dying.

Status
Not open for further replies.