Robin Williams commits suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
From John 10:10,

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

there are two basic choices in life:

1. The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy:

2. I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Robin Williams chose poorly
We don't know that. People can make serious mistakes, horrible choices, especially if they aren't in their right mind. Blaming someone in the grips of severe enough depression to make a choice that runs contrary to a primal biological urge to survive seems a little unreasonable. Had he lived we'd have him under restraint and receiving help, wouldn't find him competent to walk out and resume his life.

God grant that none of us face the challenge he faced.

S0ZO

It's not for me to prove.
Yet, you open your big mouth about something you know nothing about.
That is what doctors are for.
Right, because they don't make any money off the phony "illness".
I know you don't seem to understand that.
I understand it perfectly.
This is all I will say on the subject.
You haven't said anything on this subject. You've just made an ignorant comment about something being an illness that isn't an illness.

Let me know when you have cured several people from diabetes ( a REAL illness) by counseling them.

:loser:

Selaphiel

Hundreds, and yet you still can't prove it is an illness.

You're the idiot.

Care to elaborate on what it is then?

Right, because they don't make any money off the phony "illness".

They make money on treating cancer as well, therefore cancer is not an illness? Your statement assumes that doctors see depression as an illness because they make money on it, rather than basing it on medical research.

Sitamun

Yet, you open your big mouth about something you know nothing about. Right, because they don't make any money off the phony "illness". I understand it perfectly.
You haven't said anything on this subject. You've just made an ignorant comment about something being an illness that isn't an illness.

Let me know when you have cured several people from diabetes ( a REAL illness) by counseling them.

:loser:
It is attitudes like yours that keep people with depression from asking for help and self medicating. I understand you don't "get" it. Most likely because you see it as a weakness. I just hope you never have mental issues.

It is an illness like diabetes is an illness. Just because you don't think so doesn't make you right. Instead I will listen to the experts in the field.

S0ZO

Care to elaborate on what it is then?
An emotion.

They make money on treating cancer as well, therefore cancer is not an illness? Your statement assumes that doctors see depression as an illness because they make money on it, rather than basing it on medical research.
They capitalize on people's emotions. Why is that so hard for you to grasp? There is no "medical research" that qualifies depression to be an illness.

S0ZO

It is attitudes like yours that keep people with depression from asking for help and self medicating.
I hope so.
Most likely because you see it as a weakness.
You ASSume something you have no clue about. It is not a weakness. Depression is real, and affects everone at some point in their life.
I just hope you never have mental issues.
Everyone has mental issues, but no one has an illness called "depression".

It is an illness like diabetes is an illness.
:rotfl: Not even the medical community would agree with that. You really should just stop talking while you're ahead.

Show me one person who stopped having diabetes because of counselling. :chuckle:

Selaphiel

An emotion.

And if there arises a malfunction in dealing with such emotions? You would need to be a Cartesian dualist to completely separate emotions from the workings on the body and the brain. As far as I know, PET scans show severely reduced activity in certain areas of the brain in patients suffering from depression. That is not to say that chemical adjustments is the only cure, that would be the error of the Cartesian matearialist, cognitive therapies work as well.

They capitalize on people's emotions. Why is that so hard for you to grasp? There is no "medical research" that qualifies depression to be an illness.

That I disagree with you does not mean that I am unable to grasp your position, I just think it is wrong. Emotions and emotional instability is demonstrably treatable by both medicines and therapy. I do not see what is dishonest with that, they are providing a medical service.

S0ZO

And if there arises a malfunction in dealing with such emotions? You would need to be a Cartesian dualist to completely separate emotions from the workings on the body and the brain. As far as I know, PET scans show severely reduced activity in certain areas of the brain in patients suffering from depression. That is not to say that chemical adjustments is the only cure, that would be the error of the Cartesian matearialist, cognitive therapies work as well.
Fear, stress, and depression can CAUSE all kinds of illnesses and chemical reactions. They are not illnesses.

shagster01

My wife was clinically diagnosed with depression. She didn't want to go on meds so she decided to change her outlook on life instead. Now she is 10 years depression free.

It's not that hard to cure.

Posted from the TOL App!

meshak

BANNED
Banned
You have no idea what the hell you are talking about. Everyone gets depressed.

Morons like you are the problem.

We are talking about severely depressed. I know what is like to be depressed severely. I was that way since my childhood.

I always thought I wish I was dead most of the time. My father was alcoholic. Alcoholism and depression are related. I am not alcoholic but I am chemically imbalanced.

My brother is alcoholic and so is my sister. She committed suicide when she was early 40ish.

Status
Not open for further replies.