RELIGION: A Diversion Away From Christ and His Gospel

Robert Pate

Banned
Okay, Robert, have it your way. Now I know you're not above deliberately misrepresenting what I wrote in order to avoid uncomfortable points. I never realized you could be dishonest like this. So long.

You apparently have something against Peter, nor do you approve of what happened in Acts 2.

If anyone is dishonest its you.

Robert Pate

Banned
What is the significance of how many gospels there are? The Holy Spirit provides each person with what they need to hear to believe.

:deadhorse:

There is only one Gospel, Galatians 1:6-10. If it is accompanied by the Holy Spirit it is the Gospel.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The gospel is;

1 Corinthians 15:1-4 New King James Version (NKJV)

The Risen Christ, Faith’s Reality
15 Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received and in which you stand, 2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you—unless you believed in vain.

3 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures,

Bard_the_Bowman

Robert,

What Peter preached:

Acts 3:21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, WHICH GOD HATH SPOKEN by the mouth of all his holy prophets SINCE THE WORLD BEGAN.

What Paul preached:

Romans 16:25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you ACCORDING TO MY GOSPEL, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, WHICH WAS KEPT SECRET SINCE THE WORLD BEGAN...

It CAN NOT get any plainer than that, Robert. You'll either see it or you won't. Seeing it, you'll either accept and believe it, or you won't. But it completely nukes the human tradition that there has always been "only one gospel." If you keep insisting on it, you're denying the plain words of Scripture.

Hey Musterion and Robert,

Just observing a little bit here. It kindof looks to me like you two are not exactly talking about the same things.

musterion, you keep mentioning justification. I think Robert keeps mentioning salvation. They may be related but are they the same thing?

Also, I think if we broaden the context of the two verses you mentioned above, musterion, they are not dichotomous.

The broader context of what Peter preached in Acts 3:21 shows that he preaches the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, repentance, and forgiveness of sins. Because his audience is Jewish Peter is emphasizing that Jesus Christ is the one that was spoken about in the O.T. prophets, etc.

I don't think that Acts 3:21 really makes the point that you think it does. When taken in context it says that it is Jesus that "Heaven must receive" until the time comes for Him to make "restitution" or "restore" all that God said by the mouths of the prophets since the world began. So it is the things that God spoke through His prophets since the world began that Jesus would do. That is all that is saying.

And that is some of Peter's preaching....but it isn't all of it.

But basically, Peter's point is "Dudes, Jesus is what the O.T. was pointing us to. He's the One."

Paul's words in Romans 16:25 are referencing the same thing. That "Dudes, Jesus is the One."

The Jews knew that they and all nations would be blessed. The O.T. told them so.

But it didn't tell them how that would take place. That was the mystery. How?

But I think Robert is right. Peter and Paul and all the others all preach the same thing, albeit to different audiences:

The how is a who. It is Jesus, people. The Gospel is a who. King Jesus.

I think the other part of the mystery is that the Gentiles get to be included more radically than people expected. Completely co-heirs.

Peace.

Robert Pate

Banned
Bard.

Of course there is only one Gospel.

Are we going to believe that 8,000 Jews were deceived by a false Gospel? And that Peter was some sort of a heretic?

Robert Pate

Banned
The gospel is;

1 Corinthians 15:1-4 New King James Version (NKJV)

The Risen Christ, Faith’s Reality
15 Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received and in which you stand, 2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you—unless you believed in vain.

3 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures,

That is an outline of the Gospel.

In the Gospel Jesus justifies the ungodly, Romans 4:5 and reconciles us and the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18, 19. In the Gospel we have been justified, sanctified, redeemed and stand before God's judgment seat as perfect and complete "In Christ" Colossians 2:10.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
In the Gospel Jesus justifies the ungodly, Romans 4:5 and reconciles us and the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18, 19. In the Gospel we have been justified, sanctified, redeemed and stand before God's judgment seat as perfect and complete "In Christ" Colossians 2:10.

Judgment seat? We can't be judged until after we die.

Hebrews 9:27: "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment."

Bard_the_Bowman

Bard.

Of course there is only one Gospel.

Are we going to believe that 8,000 Jews were deceived by a false Gospel? And that Peter was some sort of a heretic?

Hey Robert.

I agree with you.

Actually, I don't won't dive in too much because the idea that there is two or more Gospels is very new to me and I don't know much about it. But from what I have seen people saying about it (not just here but elsewhere as well)...well, I remain unconvinced.

It looks to me like Peter did a pretty good job of laying out the death, burial, and Resurrection of Jesus that saves in Acts 2. And I think that was even before Paul's conversion. I won't argue against the fact that Paul unpacked things alot more, but it looks like the same Gospel message to me: Jesus saves.

Peace.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I won't argue against the fact that Paul unpacked things alot more, but it looks like the same Gospel message to me: Jesus saves.

He had to, the Jews grew up familiar with the scriptures and knew who Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob were in Jewish culture.

The Gentiles not so much.

Robert Pate

Banned
Judgment seat? We can't be judged until after we die.

Hebrews 9:27: "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment."

Spiritually, we have already been judged and put to death in Jesus Christ, Romans 6:1-13.

And now are in heaven with Christ, Ephesians 2:6.

Robert Pate

Banned
Hey Robert.

I agree with you.

Actually, I don't won't dive in too much because the idea that there is two or more Gospels is very new to me and I don't know much about it. But from what I have seen people saying about it (not just here but elsewhere as well)...well, I remain unconvinced.

It looks to me like Peter did a pretty good job of laying out the death, burial, and Resurrection of Jesus that saves in Acts 2. And I think that was even before Paul's conversion. I won't argue against the fact that Paul unpacked things alot more, but it looks like the same Gospel message to me: Jesus saves.

Peace.

Of course its the same Gospel. It had the same effect, it brought people to Christ and was confirmed by the Holy Spirit.

I like musteron, but he was wrong on this one.