Real Science Radio: The Search for Noah's Ark

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Doesn't include 'superficially similar' copy then?
:doh:

'Close' in what sense?

Let's grant this for the sake of argument (however, popular usage =/= invariably correct, as in 'different than' as opposed to the grammatically correct 'different from', or 'your' when 'you're' is meant, or 'should of' instead of 'should have'). 'Johan's Ark' still fails your definition of a replica.

Lordkalvan

So we're agreed that Stripe was wrong when he offered 'Johan's Ark' in response to fool's comment that 'No one has a working full size replica [of the biblical Ark], even today.'

It seems to have taken you a long time to realise this, but then as Stripe (intentionally?) modified what fool wrote when he supposedly quoted him maybe it's not entirely your fault?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
So we're agreed that Stripe was wrong when he offered 'Johan's Ark' in response to fool's comment that 'No one has a working full size replica [of the biblical Ark], even today.'

It seems to have taken you a long time to realise this, but then as Stripe (intentionally?) modified what fool wrote when he supposedly quoted him maybe it's not entirely your fault?
Is that even relevant to the discussion between you and I?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I thought the point was whether 'Johan's Ark' is a replica of the biblical Ark as claimed by Stripe. If not, perhaps you should explain what you think we are discussing?
Yes, that was the issue; not whether or not it was a full size replica. I don't care about that. Take that up with Stripe.

Lordkalvan

Yes, that was the issue; not whether or not it was a full size replica.
Well, clearly it was neither 'full size' nor a 'replica' in any full sense of the word.
I don't care about that.
Do you care that it isn't a a replica at all? What is it anything more than a carnival sideshow that bears about as much relevance to actual history as Mickey Mouse to a real rodent?
Take that up with Stripe.
You might have noticed that trying to take anything up with Stripe is pretty much an exercise in futility. You, at least, are ready to engage and kudos to you for that.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So it's not seaworthy.
That's not overly relevant. The original ark was a nonpowered vessel as is this one. Of course it requires assistance to move anywhere.

From the looks of the replica, it floats very high in the water. Undoubtedly the water of the flood was used to provide much of the ark's protection against the elements by having it float almost completely submerged.

Lordkalvan

That's not overly relevant. The original ark was a nonpowered vessel as is this one. Of course it requires assistance to move anywhere.
Yep, built on a steel barge, too.
From the looks of the replica, it floats very high in the water.
It doesn't float at all, the barge does that.
Undoubtedly the water of the flood was used to provide much of the ark's protection against the elements by having it float almost completely submerged.
I'd be pleased to see your evidence for that.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Are you familiar with the process of making it? There is no Gopher tree, just like there is no ply tree. I myself am not too famliar, but have read some things. After making it, he coated it with something.

"Gopher wood" is translated in the Septuagint as:

15 Make therefore for thyself an ark of square timber; thou shalt make the ark in compartments, and thou shalt pitch it within and without with pitch.

16 And thus shalt thou make the ark; three hundred cubits the length of the ark, and fifty cubits the breadth, and thirty cubits the height of it.

17 Thou shalt narrow the ark in making it, and in a cubit above thou shalt finish it, and the door of the ark thou shalt make on the side; with lower, second, and third stories thou shalt make it.

18 And behold I bring a flood of water upon the earth, to destroy all flesh in which is the breath of life under heaven, and whatsoever things are upon the earth shall die.
Can't be sure of the exact meaning. But could reflect that the wood was to be planed (flat instead of log like).
:idunno: