Real Science Radio: The Search for Noah's Ark

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I answered your question, but you don't seem to be very interested in that answer. The 'superfluous' remarks simply restate the original point that, regardless of the number of windows, 'Johan's Ark' is not a replica of what is sketchily described in the Bible.
I think you misunderstand the definition of "replica."

Lordkalvan

I think you misunderstand the definition of "replica."
Well, I was going on this definition from Merriam-Webster:

'1: an exact reproduction (as of a painting) executed by the original artist <a replica of this was painted … this year — Constance Strachey>

'2: a copy exact in all details <DNA makes a replica of itself> <sailed a replica of the Viking ship>; broadly : copy <this faithful, pathetic replica of a Midwestern suburb — G. F. Kennan>'

Clearly 'Johan's Ark' meets none of the relevant criteria for a replica of the legendary biblical Ark.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Well, I was going on this definition from Merriam-Webster:

'1: an exact reproduction (as of a painting) executed by the original artist <a replica of this was painted … this year — Constance Strachey>

'2: a copy exact in all details <DNA makes a replica of itself> <sailed a replica of the Viking ship>; broadly : copy <this faithful, pathetic replica of a Midwestern suburb — G. F. Kennan>'

Clearly 'Johan's Ark' meets none of the relevant criteria for a replica of the legendary biblical Ark.
So a scale model isn't a replica?

Lordkalvan

So a scale model isn't a replica?
I provided you the definition I was informing my understanding with. By this definition, what do you think?

But let's say yes, a scale model is a replica. 'Johan's Ark' still isn't a replica of the biblical Ark: it's a work of imagination that had to be built on a steel barge and on a steel frame, presumably because otherwise it would neither float nor be structurally sound.

Lordkalvan

I provided you the definition I was informing my understanding with. By this definition, what do you think?

But let's say yes, a scale model is a replica. 'Johan's Ark' still isn't a replica of the biblical Ark: it's a work of imagination that had to be built on a steel barge and on a steel frame, presumably because otherwise it would neither float nor be structurally sound.
Apparently, according to his reputation comment, LH doesn't think this is an honest post. I am curious as to the grounds on which he regards it as dishonest. Because I view 'Johan's Ark' as a piece of entertaining silliness as opposed to an exercise in biblical validation?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Apparently, according to his reputation comment, LH doesn't think this is an honest post. I am curious as to the grounds on which he regards it as dishonest. Because I view 'Johan's Ark' as a piece of entertaining silliness as opposed to an exercise in biblical validation?
It's dishonest because you are splitting hairs over the use of the word 'replica' and ignoring the fact that by definition it still counts. There is a reason "exact replica" is a phrase in the lexicon. That reason is that 'replica' does not mean 'exact copy.'

gcthomas

It's dishonest because you are splitting hairs over the use of the word 'replica' and ignoring the fact that by definition it still counts. There is a reason "exact replica" is a phrase in the lexicon. That reason is that 'replica' does not mean 'exact copy.'

'Exact replica' comes in the same category as 'totally unique'. They both use two words when one is superfluous.

Have you got a dictionary reference to support your assertion as to the meaning of e word 'replica'? All those I have found get to exact copies.

Lordkalvan

It's dishonest because you are splitting hairs over the use of the word 'replica'....
Nope, I'm using the dictionary definition of the word. Nothing dishonest about that.
...and ignoring the fact that by definition it still counts.
Which definition? Yours? That would be the Humpty-Dumpty definition whereby a word means whatever you want it to mean?
There is a reason "exact replica" is a phrase in the lexicon. That reason is that 'replica' does not mean 'exact copy.'
A replica is an exact copy, by definition. 'Exact replica' is therefore tautological, no matter how often it is (incorrectly) used thus. Like 'habitual custom' or 'close proximity'.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
'Exact replica' comes in the same category as 'totally unique'. They both use two words when one is superfluous.

Have you got a dictionary reference to support your assertion as to the meaning of e word 'replica'? All those I have found get to exact copies.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/replica?s=t

Evolutionists love to argue inanity.
Yup.

Nope, I'm using the dictionary definition of the word. Nothing dishonest about that.

Which definition? Yours? That would be the Humpty-Dumpty definition whereby a word means whatever you want it to mean?

A replica is an exact copy, by definition. 'Exact replica' is therefore tautological, no matter how often it is (incorrectly) used thus. Like 'habitual custom' or 'close proximity'.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/replica?s=t

According to that it can also mean "close copy."

This is seen in cultural understanding when miniatures are referred to as replicas.

gcthomas

That is not evidence for a global flood, since the rock types and sequences support a more piecemeal, ancient and regional deposition.

Good try though! :up:

gcthomas

English is your second language, right? :chuckle:

You seem to be well practised in the art of changing meanings by partial quoting of a small part of one long sentence. ;)

That skill must be useful to help squeeze a parody of science into a YEC straight-jacket, mustn't it?

Lordkalvan

'Close' in what sense?
This is seen in cultural understanding when miniatures are referred to as replicas.
Let's grant this for the sake of argument (however, popular usage =/= invariably correct, as in 'different than' as opposed to the grammatically correct 'different from', or 'your' when 'you're' is meant, or 'should of' instead of 'should have'). 'Johan's Ark' still fails your definition of a replica.