racism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Originally posted by BillyBob
I would rather trust a Christian who never mentions his faith...
If he never mentions it, you have no way of knowing he's a Christian...

Gerald

Resident Fiend
That's fine.
You, sir, are far too trusting, far too willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt.

And no, I am not too suspicious, thank you very much! :noid:

Vision

Originally posted by billwald

To me, part of the solution is to dump "Black History Month" for a "Free Enterprise Month."

I think the whole point of it is to acknowkedge the advancements that have been made by the black race since we came here. I know things are different for you in your mind. There were no Irish slaves or German slaves brought to Italy to work for people with no respect for them or their culture were there?

And im not talking about the Israelites with the Egyptians. that's a totally different subject. why? the difference also is that theyre struggle was in or around their native land. blacks or natives africans back then had to be rerooted here, and our history is here now.

so- im saying the average caucasian doesn't know much about oppresion and segregation in the united states recently. yeah- with immigration in the late 1800's early 1900's but not with the brute, obvious, unapologized hatred that there has been recently towards blacks.

i am in no way excusing the laziness that there is in the black community cause it gets on my nerves too. but that doesn't mean that you ingore the few who are trying to advance for themselves and help along whoever else wants to come.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
I like the idea of scrapping Black history month, the Black Caucus, the NAACP and any organization that is racially motivated. There will be no end to racism as long as these organizations exist to remind everybody that there are different races! :doh:

I like Billwald's 'Free Enterprise Month', it is non racist, it's very American and should motivate each of us to a higher level of success, regardless of race.

Vision

Wrong? If I notice that Asians [or any other ethnic group] always want to dicker about price and never hire me, should I continue to waste my time giving estimates to them just so you can feel good about yourself or do I get smart about the whole thing and realize that giving bids to certain people is nothing but a waste of my time?

Yeah- that's like if i said- youre just like that other [white] guy down the street. and since he smells and has bad hair, and the other huy at he mall smells and has bad hair then all [white] people must smell and have bad hair.

note to self: don't ask [white] people to the hair salon, it won't do any good because all of them have bad hair and questionable odors.

that's exactly what you keep saying. you BB need to understand that not everyone is NOT THE SAME!!!! You can't say that about any race because you are not the guy at the mall or on tv or at the gas station.

you'd be pissed if i said that, right? yeah you would, so would i...

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
I agree, everyone is not the same. However, different cultures act accordingly. That is why I no longer bother giving estimates to people from certain cultures, they have consistently proven to be a waste of my time.

billwald

"There were no Irish slaves or German slaves brought to Italy to work for people with no respect for them or their culture were there?"

Technically, no. I define "slavery" as the involuntary assignment of one's life energies. If the Govt extracts 20 hours of my time every week, then I am a 20 hour/week slave.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by billwald

"There were no Irish slaves or German slaves brought to Italy to work for people with no respect for them or their culture were there?"

Technically, no. I define "slavery" as the involuntary assignment of one's life energies. If the Govt extracts 20 hours of my time every week, then I am a 20 hour/week slave.

Deal. We're all wage slaves. Been that way for a long time in various cultures and empires for ages.

Nothin' new under the sun.

Rolf Ernst

"Prejudice" is generally spoken of as if it concerns skin tone. That is hokum to a certain extent. Prejudice is not a bad word, and it is seldom skin tone based. Prejudice is a good thing--a red flag before our eyes which, based on our prior life experiences, warns us to be careful.

Consider a basket of apples--no matter what color the apples are, if you see some bad apples in the top of a bushel basket, it "prejudices" you against the whole bushel. Why shouldn't it? If what is most open to view is bad news, if the best presented to the buyer is sprinkled with unsavory quality, what else SHOULD you expect?

The problem, however, is not the color of the apples. If the seller wanted to make an accusation against the buyer of being unfair, however, he could do so by accusing him of being unjustly prejudiced against gala apples simply because they are not a uniform color.

Similarly, this racial issue is not really a matter of skin tone. It is a matter of CULTURE, but many don't want the issue to be framed that way. There are valid and justifiable reasons for cultural judgements which they don't want to deal with. Therefore, they will accept no basis for the issue other than skin tone.

THERE IS NO JUSTIFICATION FOR BEING PREJUDICED AGAINST SOMEONE BECAUSE OF THEIR SKIN TONE. Therefore, framing the discussion only on THAT aspect assures an easily won argument for some, and the loss of all substantive resistance by others; but in truth, THE REAL ISSUE is not ABOUT skin tone.

Framing the discussion falsely not only delivers an easy victory to some while unjustly accusing others, it also almost guarantees that the REAL ISSUE will neither be addressed nor remedied. Outcome-- the triumph for bleeding heart liberals, and the defeat of human progress.

LivingDeadDoll

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Originally posted by Rolf Ernst

"Prejudice" is generally spoken of as if it concerns skin tone. That is hokum to a certain extent. Prejudice is not a bad word, and it is seldom skin tone based. Prejudice is a good thing--a red flag before our eyes which, based on our prior life experiences, warns us to be careful.

Consider a basket of apples--no matter what color the apples are, if you see some bad apples in the top of a bushel basket, it "prejudices" you against the whole bushel. Why shouldn't it? If what is most open to view is bad news, if the best presented to the buyer is sprinkled with unsavory quality, what else SHOULD you expect?

The problem, however, is not the color of the apples. If the seller wanted to make an accusation against the buyer of being unfair, however, he could do so by accusing him of being unjustly prejudiced against gala apples simply because they are not a uniform color.

Similarly, this racial issue is not really a matter of skin tone. It is a matter of CULTURE, but many don't want the issue to be framed that way. There are valid and justifiable reasons for cultural judgements which they don't want to deal with. Therefore, they will accept no basis for the issue other than skin tone.

THERE IS NO JUSTIFICATION FOR BEING PREJUDICED AGAINST SOMEONE BECAUSE OF THEIR SKIN TONE. Therefore, framing the discussion only on THAT aspect assures an easily won argument for some, and the loss of all substantive resistance by others; but in truth, THE REAL ISSUE is not ABOUT skin tone.

Framing the discussion falsely not only delivers an easy victory to some while unjustly accusing others, it also almost guarantees that the REAL ISSUE will neither be addressed nor remedied. Outcome-- the triumph for bleeding heart liberals, and the defeat of human progress.

that was a really perceptive point!:think:

wickwoman

Dear Rolf Ernest:

I'm a bleeding heart liberal and I understand cultural differences. I also understand and am willing to consider the reason for those differences and/or inadequacies. Which, your everyday bigot is not willing to consider. They only want to label for labeling's sake. This prejudice you speak of, based on past experiences, is a selfish measure of protection. It's lazy. It's a way of evaluating entire races without actually having to think about things. I prefer to look at each apple individually, sometimes even tasting the ones that look good. And, I know a bad apple when I see one. But, I also know there's a reason for it. Did I leave it in the dark in a plastic bag in my cupboard for too long? If so, am I angry at the apple for being rotten or at myself for being forgetful?

Last edited:

servent101

Billybob
Well, I am not an educator of alien assimilation, I am a businessman.

This seems to be the same statement as " This is not my department " - and when you need information on something you are doing that is destructive to you ... well your karma will be such that it will not come.

We live in a democracy - and your imput into government policy is up to you - but you would live life fuller if you were to inform your neighbours of what is proper and right, who knows you may even make a friend or two. Just walking away, and saying nothing, well that is not good for our "standard of living" and in the end if everyone did this, the country would suffer.

With Christ's Love

Servent101

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by servent101

Billybob

This seems to be the same statement as " This is not my department " - and when you need information on something you are doing that is destructive to you ... well your karma will be such that it will not come.

Huh?

We live in a democracy - and your imput into government policy is up to you -

What does this have to do with my choice not to work for certain people?

but you would live life fuller if you were to inform your neighbours of what is proper and right,

You're kidding, right?

who knows you may even make a friend or two.

I can't even understand them when they talk. They are condescending cheap bastards and I prefer to have no interaction with them.

Just walking away, and saying nothing, well that is not good for our "standard of living" and in the end if everyone did this, the country would suffer.

With Christ's Love

Servent101

Actually, the worse thing I could do for our standard of living is reduce my prices to accomodate them.

servent101

Wickwoman
I'm a bleeding heart liberal and I understand cultural differences.

Welcome to the club

This prejudice you speak of, based on past experiences, is a selfish measure of protection. It's lazy. It's a way of evaluating entire races without actually having to think about things.

Not all people can function as bleeding heart liberals, and to tell you the truth this is a great weight to carry for everyone – and is possibly the hardest thing one can strive to do – show concern and compassion for our human kind, no matter what the colour of their skin and the stigma attached to their race. If we all would do this, the load on the few who are bleeding heart liberals would be a lot less, but to expect everyone to be the same “right” attitude is a little to much to expect.

The person who has to deal with the wise use of their time, sure one or two potential customers might come from a particular race of a particular colour, but is it worth the risk, sure it would be nice to treat everyone the same, and go by each individual, but is it possible? – not that this is not the wrong thing to do, - judge people by the colour of their skin, but it is just that there needs to be some compassion from you for the racist – after all you claim to be a bleeding heart liberal, so why not cut them some slack, not that you don’t – I just figure your trigger finger was working a little too hard when you described the people as you did
is a selfish measure of protection, It's lazy, evaluating without thinking about things.

It just is that we are not gods, and sometimes the only way people can feed their families is by improving the odds, spending time where it will most likely be profitable.

With Christ’s Love

Servent101

Granite

Hall of Fame
"I can't even understand them when they talk. They are condescending cheap bastards and I prefer to have no interaction with them."

Who are you talking about???

Rolf Ernst

Billy Bob--I am not speaking to anyone in particular but at the same time, I am speaking to everyone; the main point being that this whole issue has been deliberately misrepresented by many because they don't want to strike at the heart of the matter.

I will not allow miscreants of whatever race or culture to turn me away from friendship with those who are my friends because of like culture whatever their skin tone. Neither will I scrape and bow before anyone from a profane culture no matter what their coloration--whether they are N---ers (I use the term as some of my black friends have used it in my presence) or white trash. To me they are one and the same.

I greatly resent the injustice done to good black people because of the overall or generally profane black culture. Again, this is not about skin tone. I have a lot of sympathy for good, decent and hardworking
blacks who are so much better than the culture which CLAIMS to represent BLACKS IN GENERAL.

Yet, at the same time the black culture which brings grief to many good blacks has its foundation in their heritage. Birth heritage is a reality that will not go away.

Decent people rise above it, but the many who do not rise above it seem to live with a determination to be true to their stereotype.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by granite1010

"I can't even understand them when they talk. They are condescending cheap bastards and I prefer to have no interaction with them."

Who are you talking about???

Asians/Indians/Pakistanis/Arabs

Status
Not open for further replies.