racism

Status
Not open for further replies.

billwald

90% of the time whenever there is a complaint about racism it always boils down to people who (at least half the time self designate) as "African American" or equivalent.

Being a big eater, I judge things by food. When I was a kid It was a rare thing to fine decent Chinese chow. Now every town has a at least one Chinese cafe. 50 years ago Japan was the enemy now Japanese kids are winning the scholastic awards and are in all the professions. Can't go any place with without finding a Korean and VietNamese place. Or a Thai or an (East) Indian cafe. Why isn't there an African American fast food place in every neighborhood?

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai and Indian all represent a specific country. What country does 'African American' represent? If I had to guess, I'd rule out Africa, as that's a continent not a country, and go with America. And there are American fast food places everywhere.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Re: racism

Originally posted by billwald

90% of the time whenever there is a complaint about racism it always boils down to people who (at least half the time self designate) as "African American" or equivalent.

Being a big eater, I judge things by food. When I was a kid It was a rare thing to fine decent Chinese chow. Now every town has a at least one Chinese cafe. 50 years ago Japan was the enemy now Japanese kids are winning the scholastic awards and are in all the professions. Can't go any place with without finding a Korean and VietNamese place. Or a Thai or an (East) Indian cafe. Why isn't there an African American fast food place in every neighborhood?

Maybe because the tastes of black people don't differ widely from a white guy's?

billwald

The point is that only African-Americans have a problem in this country. In Seattle there is an annual "Buy Black Week" to encourage black owned businesses. Never needed a "Buy Yellow" or "Buy Swede" or "BUY Italian" week. Not even a "Buy Mexican Week." Mexicans are smart enough to help their own people.

Thia

I'm sorry, but that's our karma for bringing them over here as slaves in the first place! We made them dependent on us.

Chileice

The problem is they have a defective culture and can't meld into America.

You're defective... in your understanding of history and of human beings. I have counseled hundreds of people in my life and few of them were black. I think I can say from experience ALL of us have problems.

Secondly, about the food. Africa has some great dishes. Some of the most tasty food I've ever eaten are African dishes. But the Africans brought to this continent had the cra- kicked out of them if they did anything african. They were forced to lose their culture because the slave owners didn't even think they had souls. So its a little hard to pass your culture on under such adverse conditions. So most blacks don't carry any african recipes in their back pockets haded down from generation to generation.

That being said, I've had some of the absolute best barbeque in my life in establishments run by blacks. I think YOU ought to get out more often and open your big eyes and get off your racist tirade. This thread kind of surprises me, Billwald. I didn't guess you would be that kind of person. Hope you are able to move on. In the meantime go find a good black owned restaurant, have some great food and then go ask for the recipe.

Granite

Hall of Fame
By the way, anybody think that bill might be on crack if he's using eateries as a racial litmus test?:rolleyes:

billwald

No. Using eateries as a test for initiative and private enterprise. There should be a "black" barbecue take out place at least every 10 blocks as just there is a teriyaki takeout place. Why Not?

Seattle, thanks to forced public school bussing in the middle '70's, lost 100,000 people and the school district lost 50,000 kids. This was NOT because of the economy because King County gained these people. The school district went from 8% to 45% minority. The trashed "black" area expanded 100% into the Rainier Valley.

Seattle was also the port of entry for the Hmung People and the VietNamese Boat People who didn't have a pot to pee in. All went into public housing and the black people complained "Theys taking OUR housing and welfare money." These were hill people, not city people and half had never had indoor plumbing.

The VietNamese people started by leasing run down, boarded up store fronts in China Town. The Family lived in the back room and ran the store while the father worked 2 or 3 low paying jobs. One family saved enough to buy a large lot in a black area which had been mostly dopers and hookers. They built a small shopping center. Other Oriental (not Asian) people did the same and now the Rainier Valley is reclaimed by white and Oriental working people and most of the old "Central District" has been transformed into a decent neighborhood - all thanks to the Boat People who don't get any credit because they havn't learned to be political.

Now days most of the academic awards are earned by Oriental People (Not "Asian" South Pacific Island People) and every profession is filled with unpronouncable names.

The black people had the same opportunity and the advantage of speaking English (sort of). They havn't done anything in Seattle and still sit in the Projects, complaining about not enough welfare.

That's the way it was. I lived and worked through it.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Well...I can relate to an anecdote like this. Lived in Detroit and its burbs for some time.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned

The point is that only African-Americans have a problem in this country. In Seattle there is an annual "Buy Black Week" to encourage black owned businesses. Never needed a "Buy Yellow" or "Buy Swede" or "BUY Italian" week. Not even a "Buy Mexican Week." Mexicans are smart enough to help their own people.

Does that mean Blacks aren't?

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned

The problem is they have a defective culture and can't meld into America.

One of the problems with American black culture is they are being told that they are in need of special laws to give them an equal footing. They are being told that they need to rely on the government and they cannot succeed without it. They are being told that any black who does not rely on Affirmative Action and the NAACP must be an Uncle Tom.

Do you know who is telling them this? Their own black liberal democrat leaders! :doh:

PureX

Originally posted by billwald The point is that only African-Americans have a problem in this country. In Seattle there is an annual "Buy Black Week" to encourage black owned businesses. Never needed a "Buy Yellow" or "Buy Swede" or "BUY Italian" week. Not even a "Buy Mexican Week." Mexicans are smart enough to help their own people.
The sad truth is that racism is based on an irrational fear of differences. People with black skin are more "different" from white people than people with any other color skin. So the racism is always going to be more pronounced between people with the greatest obvious differences. Since skin color is an obvious difference, and the difference between black and white skin color is the most pronounced, it naturally follows that racism will be more pronounced and intense between people of dark and light skin color.

The only way to combat racism is to mitigate the perception of, and then face down our irrational fear of our "differences". We've been working on this for many years, in America, but we still have a long way to go. And it appears that as we begin to overcome our irrational fear of people with different skin color, it intensifies in other areas of difference. Thus, as Americans begin to overcome their irrational fears based on skin color, this fear seems to be intensifying regarding sexual orientation and political ideology. We aren't facing down our irrational fears, we're simply transferring them to another group of "strangers". This, too, is sadly commonplace.

Prejudice is basically just our own irrational fears being projected onto "strangers" simply because they are perceived as "strange" to us. We'll never overcome these prejudices until we address and overcome our irrational fear of anything (and anyone) "different". And so far it seems that we'd rather just transfer our fears to another group of "scape-goats" then actually face them down once and for all.

LivingDeadDoll

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Before i even comment i am curious just how far you guys are willing to go in this debate, if you wanna get serious, i've got some views. But i don't want to waste anyones time either, so let me know, this could get intense....

LivingDeadDoll

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
:chuckle: oh, and i will....
but first i have to tend to my kids for a bit, but i shall return with haste for this one! :devil:

billwald

Before WW2 there was very little race mixing and there was no advantage for a white person to pass as black. The book, "Black Like Me," was a best seller because of this. These days there is an economic advantge. When the City of Seattle decided to promote on the basis of race several previously white people turned into something else.

How can I discriminate against people that I can't visually identify unless they first invite discrimination?

Status
Not open for further replies.