Racism, Bigotry and Misogyny at TOL

CherubRam

It has certainly been suggested. But, I still find it telling you find no problem with the "n-word" despite it's implied meaning... racist.

If you teach children that good is bad and bad is good, eventually people will believe it.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Your avatar is ironic as Judge Dredd would kick your...for just ascribing to what you do...

Mega City 1 is much more racist than anything I've said. In the comics, they force mothers to abort children with genetic abnormalities, and all mutants are excluded from the city walls, exiled to the cursed earth.

It's true, the Dredd of the comics has absolutely no tolerance for people taking the law into their own hands, on their own initiative, but I haven't advocated anything of the kind.

And it's difficult to see Judge Dredd, who himself describes the training of the Academy as "monastic" as having any sympathy for the woman I mentioned in the other thread.

And finally, for someone who is so opposed to beating and otherwise physically mal-treating people, need I remind you of the penalties that bad judges face on Titan? How about the various ways in which judges extract confessions?

If there's anyone Judge Dredd wouldn't care for, it's "limp-wrist liberals" such as are so common today.

Quetzal

According to you. Of course it's not, really.
Sure it is, just take a look at the small, vocal sample we have here. You refuse to think of yourselves that way because you understand how negatively you are impacting our society. What else is new.

Arthur Brain

Mega City 1 is much more racist than anything I've said. In the comics, they force mothers to abort children with genetic abnormalities, and all mutants are excluded from the city walls, exiled to the cursed earth.

It's true, the Dredd of the comics has absolutely no tolerance for people taking the law into their own hands, on their own initiative, but I haven't advocated anything of the kind.

And it's difficult to see Judge Dredd, who himself describes the training of the Academy as "monastic" as having any sympathy for the woman I mentioned in the other thread.

And finally, for someone who is so opposed to beating and otherwise physically mal-treating people, need I remind you of the penalties that bad judges face on Titan? How about the various ways in which judges extract confessions?

If there's anyone Judge Dredd wouldn't care for, it's "limp-wrist liberals" such as are so common today.

Eh, it's a dystopian society in the graphic novels sure, but don't kid yourself that you're not just an internet limp wrist Trad. If you think beating women to the point of death is 'macho' or 'conservative' then you're a moron.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Eh, it's a dystopian society

That's your opinion. Personally, I love the judges system.

in the graphic novels sure, but don't kid yourself that you're not just an internet limp wrist Trad. If you think beating women to the point of death is 'macho' or 'conservative' then you're a moron.

I agree. Beating women, qua women, to the point of death is neither macho nor conservative. It's downright horrible. Nobody should think it acceptable to beat a woman to the point of death because she is a woman. Shame on any such person.

Arthur Brain

That's your opinion. Personally, I love the judges system.

What, you think the writers' aim was to show a Utopia?

:freak:

I agree. Beating women, qua women, to the point of death is neither macho nor conservative. It's downright horrible. Nobody should think it acceptable to beat a woman to the point of death because she is a woman. Shame on any such person.

Shame on anyone who thinks spousal beating is any form of "justice".

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
What, you think the writers' aim was to show a Utopia?

No. The initial aim of the writers was to make a sci-fi spoof of Dirty Harry. As time went on, it became more of a political satire on the far-right idealogy and "zero tolerance" policies of Margaret Thatcher. Thus the reason the comic grows progressively "darker" over time right up until the Democracy series, when they decided to make Dredd a little less the pure, robotic embodiment of law and justice, and a little bit more human (personally, I think that was a mistake on the part of the writers).

That said, even despite their intentions, the judges system that they describe is very palatable to anyone of a Platonic mindset, especially those who happen to be Sparta fan-boys.

The Judges system is literally an aristocracy (rule by the best), and even could be described in terms of the "mixed" system of Aristotle. It's kingly insofar as the Chief Judge has ultimate authority. It's aristocratic insofar as only the best men and women of Mega-City 1 have any part in politics (except for mayoral elections, and we all know just how good Mega City 1's mayors are :p ). It's democratic insofar as the judges are taken from the entire people (generally orphans).

I think it's very difficult to read the comics and feel any sympathy for the democrats. If you read the comics, it's very clear: Judge Dredd deserves to be in charge, whether the people like it or not.

Shame on anyone who thinks spousal beating is any form of "justice".

I agree! It is never just to beat one's spouse because she is one's spouse. That's also horrible.

Now, if we're talking about beating someone as a punishment for a crime...that's another story. :)

Arthur Brain

No. The initial aim of the writers was to make a sci-fi spoof of Dirty Harry. As time went on, it became more of a political satire on the far-right idealogy and "zero tolerance" policies of Margaret Thatcher. Thus the reason the comic grows progressively "darker" over time right up until the Democracy series, when they decided to make Dredd a little less the pure, robotic embodiment of law and justice, and a little bit more human (personally, I think that was a mistake on the part of the writers).

That said, even despite their intentions, the judges system that they describe is very palatable to anyone of a Platonic mindset, especially those who happen to be Sparta fan-boys.

The Judges system is literally an aristocracy (rule by the best), and even could be described in terms of the "mixed" system of Aristotle. It's kingly insofar as the Chief Judge has ultimate authority. It's aristocratic insofar as only the best men and women of Mega-City 1 have any part in politics (except for mayoral elections, and we all know just how good Mega City 1's mayors are :p ). It's democratic insofar as the judges are taken from the entire people (generally orphans).

I think it's very difficult to read the comics and feel any sympathy for the democrats. If you read the comics, it's very clear: Judge Dredd deserves to be in charge, whether the people like it or not.

Oh geez, is there any subject you can't bring your Plato fixation into?

:freak:

I agree! It is never just to beat one's spouse.

I'll just stop you there.

:thumb:

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Well, racism, bigotry, etc; is a very large part of conservative traditions. In short, I am not surprised to see it here.

Well when your definition of 'bigotry' is 'to challenge anything of your liberal beliefs', of course it's going to seem that way :rolleyes:

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
I have to say: I think it's incredibly amusing that AB is still going after my comments on the punishment owed to certain categories of offenders. He hasn't commented on the song lyrics to "Here Comes Jesse." Ha.

brewmama

I prefer the Webster definition, which still applies.

"a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices;"

Well it certainly applies to climate alarmists (including you), and hatred of blacks toward whites. Then there's Islamic and liberal hatred and bigotry against Israel and Islamic hatred toward the West, and there you have your biggest bigots in the world today.

Quetzal

"a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices;"

Well it certainly applies to climate alarmists (including you), and hatred of blacks toward whites. Then there's Islamic and liberal hatred and bigotry against Israel and Islamic hatred toward the West, and there you have your biggest bigots in the world today.
Thank you for proving my point.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Thank you for proving my point.

All of you liberals annoy me. None of you can be bothered actually to have a serious debate on any of these issues. Instead, you just content yourself with making off hand, snide remarks.

Sure, AnnaBenedetti will go out of her way to look up various of my remarks and copy/paste them on to a thread.

But actually provide arguments against them?
Actually engage me on the issues without basing herself on her visceral emotive reactions?
Actually think through the issues rather than simply resort to saying "boo" over and over again?

No, no. That's apparently too much to expect from that crowd.

The social liberal presence on this thread is one of sheer quasi-moral outrage. Which is, of course, positively amusing to me.

You disagree with us so much, Quetzal? Then face us like a man and present arguments.