Race For The White House

Race For The White House

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Arthur Brain

That's one of the looniest assertions I've ever seen. Hitler was not, by any means a democrat (someone who supports democracy), nor a Democrat (a member of one of the two main political parties in the United States).

Nick has never really been one for facts...

It's not the first time he's tried to describe Hitler or other despots as "liberals" as barmy as it is.

ClimateSanity

AH! you mean the 2.5 TRILLION Dollars that Geo. Bush, the “read-my-lips-no-new-taxes” president siphoned out?

Him and very politician since it was set up. Government control of the fund allows that to happen. If the SS was set up where regulated investing institution firms get to bid on contracts to invest the money on a rotating basis, that kind of Tom foolery from Bush and your Democrats...all of establishment Washington would not happen.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
If Trump does not win the White house it's goodbye Rebublicans like forever
I don't agree with you on that one, Tot. I think the party looked dead in the water after Obama shattered their expectations in his first win. That was a deadly cycle for Republicans, but they bounced back. And if Democrats have proven anything it's that they continue to make opposition superfluous when they're in power.

glorydaz

They were guided to go to the rallies and become disruptive. Yes there is incitement to violence but not from trump. Rushing the stage in masse at the start of a speech is preplanned and guided from somewhere and somebody whom these people listen to like black lives matter. That's your invitees of violence. Trump people have the right to get right back in the face of these people shouting obscenities at them and giving them the bird.

It's amazing how some people can't see the difference between peaceful protests and disturbing the peace. But, when these same anarchists start shutting down other people, perhaps we'll hear a different tune being played.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That was a deadly cycle for Republicans, but they bounced back. And if Democrats have proven anything it's that they continue to make opposition superfluous when they're in power.

You are missing the key points. Obama ran a campaign of not being what he is. In 2010, the Republican party was given a majority to Congress to remove him. They didn't. In 2012 the GOP still acted like they didn't get it bringing forth Mitt Romney and the GOP base largely stayed home or voted for somebody else. In 2014, many GOP RINOs were ousted and even larger majority of Congress was taken as well as State legislatures and governors to stop Obama and put him in jail. They didn't do it. They gave Obama everything he wanted. Now, the GOP is reaping what they sowed, discontent with their candidates and Cruz/Trump is going to smoke any DNC candidate. Maybe not Ronald Reagan 49 states, but close.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You are missing the key points. Obama ran a campaign of not being what he is. In 2010, the Republican party was given a majority to Congress to remove him. They didn't. In 2012 the GOP still acted like they didn't get it bringing forth Mitt Romney and the GOP base largely stayed home or voted for somebody else. In 2014, many GOP RINOs were ousted and even larger majority of Congress was taken as well as State legislatures and governors to stop Obama and put him in jail. They didn't do it. They gave Obama everything he wanted. Now, the GOP is reaping what they sowed, discontent with their candidates and Cruz/Trump is going to smoke any DNC candidate. Maybe not Ronald Reagan 49 states, but close.
Not how I saw it. Obama rode a strong tide into office and then promptly wasted political capital with the naive belief the Republicans would come to a negotiating table in good faith when the leadership, while giving the appearance of a willingness to do that had in fact, behind then closed doors, adopted an opposition to all things Obama as its narrative, stretching out a process to frustrate the electorate and work a campaign aimed at cutting the legs out from under the President. It largely worked by the time the next election cycle ran and the party was restored to some of its former glory.

From that point on they began to get more and more of what they're complaining about now, a president who doesn't much care for or about them, who plays some fairly nasty political cards to circumvent them when he can...and it never had to be that way. I don't see how the Republicans can win the White House now, with Trump taking over that general, negative message absent any hard, discernible plan or vision that rises above it. Negative campaigning is fine in the bush leagues, but it won't win the Oval Office. Absent a significant change in approach or candidate I'd say we're likely looking at another Clinton in the White House.

exminister

Not how I saw it. Obama rode a strong tide into office and then promptly wasted political capital with the naive belief the Republicans would come to a negotiating table in good faith when the leadership, while giving the appearance of a willingness to do that had in fact, behind then closed doors, adopted an opposition to all things Obama as its narrative, stretching out a process to frustrate the electorate and work a campaign aimed at cutting the legs out from under the President. It largely worked by the time the next election cycle ran and the party was restored to some of its former glory.

From that point on they began to get more and more of what they're complaining about now, a president who doesn't much care for or about them, who plays some fairly nasty political cards to circumvent them when he can...and it never had to be that way. I don't see how the Republicans can win the White House now, with Trump taking over that general, negative message absent any hard, discernible plan or vision that rises above it. Negative campaigning is fine in the bush leagues, but it won't win the Oval Office. Absent a significant change in approach or candidate I'd say we're likely looking at another Clinton in the White House.

Well put Town.

We teach people how to treat us.

What we have here is failure to communicate. I don't like it any more than you men, but that's what they want, that's what they get.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
a strong tide of anti-Bush sentiment and jumping on the bandwagon of electing the first black president
I'd say that was part of it. Clinton benefited from the same thing in his first run. And as with Clinton he ran a campaign taken straight from the affirmational Reagan playbook.

i believe trump's running as a republican
(takes a look)
yep, he is :thumb:
Last time I checked he was...not sure why either of us should, but there you go.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
N Obama rode a strong tide into office and then promptly wasted political capital with the naive belief the Republicans would come to a negotiating table in good faith

It doesn't matter how you see it, it the Republicans gave him everything. They had no votes for Obamacare and voted party line against so they can say the voted against. And as you can see, they have not repealed after pretending to be against it. The Republican "establishment" is going to pay the price this November, including the Congress when people like the Speaker are removed by vote. That is why Boehner resigned.