ECT Questions for Roman Catholics

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Child sacrifice is abortion my friend. Science has established human life starts at birth and thus per the definition abortion is homicide. The fact that children are killed because of idolizing materialism and irresponsibility establishes that it is a sacrifice. Another example is the blacks affiliation with the Democrat Party at the expense of 14,000,000 black children. They have been sacrificed for political gain (or so they think).
Not to be nit picky but nit picking anyways, if human life starts at birth, abortion to does not take a life. Care to rephrase that a bit?

republicanchick

Comparing the Virgin Mary to the golden calf won't win you any points with God.

anity.

yet protestants appear to worship (and actually some DO worship) Joel Olsteen, aka:pastor HealthWealth&Prosperity

and others

They hang on their words, especially if they utter something anticatholic sounding

dumb

___

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
yet protestants appear to worship (and actually some DO worship) Joel Olsteen, aka:pastor HealthWealth&Prosperity

and others

They hang on their words, especially if they utter something anticatholic sounding

dumb

___
SO you have no answer either. (Pointing out the faults of others is not an answer.)

glassjester

Based on what you see in these two pictures, and only on what is seen in these pictures, please explain to us how a non-Catholic not properly educated in the doctrines and traditions of the RCC can tell the difference between those worshiping the golden calf and those venerating Mary.

Is this really what Paul was talking about?

Here's the difference: Corinth actually had temples of idols. The weak Corinthian observer Paul was talking about would know exactly what these temples signified, and seeing Christians there would definitely send the wrong message.

This hypothetical weakling that you've come up with has no idea what anyone in either picture is doing, right? So, after witnessing the two events above, he either walks away with no more knowledge than before, or he talks to the people there.

Conversation 1 (golden calf) might go like this:
Weakling: What are you doing?
Worshiper: Worshiping this statue.
Weakling: Why?
Worshiper: It's a god. There's a god IN THIS STATUE.
Weakling: So if I destroy the statue, do I destroy the god in it?
Worshiper: Yes, please don't destroy my object of worship!

Conversation 2 (Mary) might go like this:
Catholic: Asking Mary to pray for me.
Weakling: So you're worshiping Mary?
Catholic: No, I'm asking her to pray to God - whom I worship.
Weakling: Is Mary IN THE STATUE?
Catholic: No. It's just a statue.
Weakling: So if I destroy the statue, do I destroy Mary?

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Is this really what Paul was talking about?

Here's the difference: Corinth actually had temples of idols. The weak Corinthian observer Paul was talking about would know exactly what these temples signified, and seeing Christians there would definitely send the wrong message.

This hypothetical weakling that you've come up with has no idea what anyone in either picture is doing, right? So, after witnessing the two events above, he either walks away with no more knowledge than before, or he talks to the people there.

Conversation 1 (golden calf) might go like this:
Worshiper: Worshiping this statue.
Weakling: Why?
Worshiper: It's a god. There's a god IN THIS STATUE.
Weakling: So if I destroy the statue, do I destroy the god in it?
Worshiper: Yes, please don't destroy my object of worship!

Conversation 2 (Mary) might go like this:
Catholic: Asking Mary to pray for me.
Weakling: So you're worshiping Mary?
Catholic: No, I'm asking her to pray to God - whom I worship.
Weakling: Is Mary IN THE STATUE?
Weakling: So if I destroy the statue, do I destroy Mary?

And what if the person that sees and walks away without asking anybody? He sees two groups of people doing the same thing. He is aware thst people worship gods. What do you show him that makes think bowing before s statue of Mary is any better than bowing before a golden calf?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
It's kinda like the accusations the Romans made, that Christians were really cannibals, because they believed the Body and Blood of Jesus were in the eucharist.

glassjester

And what if the person that sees and walks away without asking anybody? He sees two groups of people doing the same thing. He is aware thst people worship gods.

He neither benefits nor is harmed. This guy observes people praying, but doesn't care to know to whom, or what they pray about. Let's be realistic, in this scenario, he doesn't want to know anything about either group.

He could have observed someone reading the Bible, and someone reading the Quran. He asks them nothing, so there's no theological difference between these two activities, right?

What do you show him that makes think bowing before s statue of Mary is any better than bowing before a golden calf?

I get to show him something? Ok, I'll show him the Bible.

glassjester

Here is a pop quiz: Look at these two pictures:
man-reading-bible.jpg

6843145584_c7fbff4792_b.jpg

Based on what you see in these two pictures, and only on what is seen in these pictures, please explain to us how a non-Christian not properly educated in the doctrines and traditions of Christianity could tell the difference.[/QUOTE]

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Here is a pop quiz: Look at these two pictures:
man-reading-bible.jpg

6843145584_c7fbff4792_b.jpg

Based on what you see in these two pictures, and only on what is seen in these pictures, please explain to us how a non-Christian not properly educated in the doctrines and traditions of Christianity could tell the difference.
Well isn't that a cute little dodge. Based on the picture I see two Christians reading their bibles. One is written in English, the other in Arabic. Based only on what is in the picture.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
He neither benefits nor is harmed. This guy observes people praying, but doesn't care to know to whom, or what they pray about. Let's be realistic, in this scenario, he doesn't want to know anything about either group.

He could have observed someone reading the Bible, and someone reading the Quran. He asks them nothing, so there's no theological difference between these two activities, right?
This is also a cute tactic, ignore half of what I said and answer a question I never asked.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
I asked a fairly simple question in post 93 of our Catholic brethren. Thus post 132. To thus point, not a single Catholic has and any honest attempt to answer the question. If this us the typical Catholic response to a simple question, why would anybody bother to ask more than one?

glassjester

This is also a cute tactic, ignore half of what I said and answer a question I never asked.

No tactic. You've presented a very contrived, and ultimately unrealistic task. It doesn't parallel Paul's example at all.

You've taken two photographs of two visually similar activities and asked how the two activities differ, visually. This is a pointless pursuit.

Take your same hypothetical simpleton and present him with a photograph of a man reading the Bible and a man reading the Quran - explain to him the difference only in visual terms.

Show him a photo of a man praying to Jesus and a man praying to Baal. Explain to him the difference only in visual terms.

Show him a photo of a man who has faith in the resurrection of Christ, and a man who has no faith in anything at all. Explain to him the difference only in visual terms.

Reading, prayer, faith - these are internal states. You can't see them. Paul was saying that it isn't good for Christians to be seen spending time in actual temples to actual idols of pagan gods that people actually worshiped.

A church is not a pagan temple - people go there to worship God.
A statue is not an idol - No one believes a god lives in the statue.
Mary is not a pagan god - the people are not worshiping her.

That's the difference.

glassjester

Well isn't that a cute little dodge. Based on the picture I see two Christians reading their bibles. One is written in English, the other in Arabic. Based only on what is in the picture.

One of them is a Quran.

Should Christians not read the Bible in public? A weakling might think that the Christian is reading the Quran. We wouldn't want that.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
One of them is a Quran.

Should Christians not read the Bible in public? A weakling might think that the Christian is reading the Quran. We wouldn't want that.

Based in the picture, he could easily br reading a bible. Might be a Coptic Christian.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
No tactic. You've presented a very contrived, and ultimately unrealistic task. It doesn't parallel Paul's example at all.

You've taken two photographs of two visually similar activities and asked how the two activities differ, visually. This is a pointless pursuit.

Take your same hypothetical simpleton and present him with a photograph of a man reading the Bible and a man reading the Quran - explain to him the difference only in visual terms.

Show him a photo of a man praying to Jesus and a man praying to Baal. Explain to him the difference only in visual terms.

Show him a photo of a man who has faith in the resurrection of Christ, and a man who has no faith in anything at all. Explain to him the difference only in visual terms.

Reading, prayer, faith - these are internal states. You can't see them. Paul was saying that it isn't good for Christians to be seen spending time in actual temples to actual idols of pagan gods that people actually worshiped.

A church is not a pagan temple - people go there to worship God.
A statue is not an idol - No one believes a god lives in the statue.
Mary is not a pagan god - the people are not worshiping her.

That's the difference.
I know that and you know that, that wasn't the question though. I am amazed at the lengths to which you will go to avoid answering my question. I wonder why you work so hard not to answer.

Why don't you talk it over with your priest this weekend and see what he has to say. You can let us all know Sunday afternoon.

everready

Who said this?

My sign is emerging. God wills it thus. Only my children recognize it, as it reveals itself in secrecy, and they praise the Eternal One for it. Today I cannot reveal my power to the whole world. I must withdraw with my children. In secrecy I will perform miracles on the souls until the number of sacrifices has become full. ?Then I can reveal myself to the whole world?[2]

Soon, I will come, my children! Soon, I will be in your midst with a great light. I will enlighten the entire world. Many souls will cry because they did not listen to my call. ?I will pass above everyone in a cloud and everyone will see me. What will become of those who insulted me and made a laughing stock of me? ?I will come soon, my sons, to travel through the entire world. I will give a great sign in the sky for those who will still want to be saved. All those who have recourse to me, who have a look of repentance, this will be sufficient to save them.[3]

I wish to also tell you that before my apparitions end completely, I shall be seen by every denomination and religion throughout this world. I will be seen among all people, not for just a moment, but everyone will have a chance to see me. As I appeared in Zeitoun, I shall appear again so everyone may see me. Pray and help my plans to be realized, not just here, but throughout the world.[4]

everready

glassjester

I know that and you know that, that wasn't the question though.

I'm trying, in earnest, to answer your question. Genuinely, I am.

Are you reasoning like this?

1. Paul warns early Christians not to be seen eating in temples of idols.
2. Paul worries that the uninitiated will then think idol worship is permissible.
3. Any Christian religious activity that bears a visual resemblance to a fallacious religious activity ought not to be done.
4. A Catholic praying near a statue bears visual resemblance to someone worshiping an idol.

Am I understanding you?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I'm trying, in earnest, to answer your question. Genuinely, I am.

Are you reasoning like this?

1. Paul warns early Christians not to be seen eating in temples of idols.
2. Paul worries that the uninitiated will then think idol worship is permissible.
3. Any Christian religious activity that bears a visual resemblance to a fallacious religious activity ought not to be done.
4. A Catholic praying near a statue bears visual resemblance to someone worshiping an idol.

Am I understanding you?

I don't understand him
but
you may be on the right track