ECT Questions for Roman Catholics

Sancocho

I asked a fairly simple question in post 93 of our Catholic brethren. Thus post 132. To thus point, not a single Catholic has and any honest attempt to answer the question. If this us the typical Catholic response to a simple question, why would anybody bother to ask more than one?

You clearly infer a comparison could be made which I pointed out.

everready

The Image

The Image

Who said this?

My sign is emerging. God wills it thus. Only my children recognize it, as it reveals itself in secrecy, and they praise the Eternal One for it. Today I cannot reveal my power to the whole world. I must withdraw with my children. In secrecy I will perform miracles on the souls until the number of sacrifices has become full. ?Then I can reveal myself to the whole world?[2]

Soon, I will come, my children! Soon, I will be in your midst with a great light. I will enlighten the entire world. Many souls will cry because they did not listen to my call. ?I will pass above everyone in a cloud and everyone will see me. What will become of those who insulted me and made a laughing stock of me? ?I will come soon, my sons, to travel through the entire world. I will give a great sign in the sky for those who will still want to be saved. All those who have recourse to me, who have a look of repentance, this will be sufficient to save them.[3]

I wish to also tell you that before my apparitions end completely, I shall be seen by every denomination and religion throughout this world. I will be seen among all people, not for just a moment, but everyone will have a chance to see me. As I appeared in Zeitoun, I shall appear again so everyone may see me. Pray and help my plans to be realized, not just here, but throughout the world.[4]

everready

Does anyone else beside me see this in what that text is saying?

Revelation 13:15 And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.

everready

1Way1Truth1Life

Here is a pop quiz: Look at these two pictures:
Idol-Worship1.gif

catholic_idolaters.jpg

Based on what you see in these two pictures, and only on what is seen in these pictures, please explain to us how a non-Catholic not properly educated in the doctrines and traditions of the RCC can tell the difference between those worshiping the golden calf and those venerating Mary.

Worship:
reverent honor and homage paid to God or a sacred personage, or to any object regarded as sacred.

:* extravagant respect or admiration for or devotion to an object of esteem

Prostrate:
:* stretched out with face on the ground in adoration or submission; also :* lying flat

More words related to bow down to
worship
verb. honor, glorify
admire
adore
adulate
bow down to
canonize
celebrate
chant
deify
dote on
esteem
exalt
extol
idolize
laud
love
magnify
offer prayers to
pay homage to
praise
pray to
put on a pedestal
respect
revere
reverence
sanctify
sing
sing praises to
venerate

Last edited:

glassjester

Worship:
reverent honor and homage paid to God or a sacred personage, or to any object regarded as sacred.

:* extravagant respect or admiration for or devotion to an object of esteem

Prostrate:
:* stretched out with face on the ground in adoration or submission; also :* lying flat

More words related to bow down to
worship
verb. honor, glorify
admire
adore
adulate
bow down to
canonize
celebrate
chant
deify
dote on
esteem
exalt
extol
idolize
laud
love
magnify
offer prayers to
pay homage to
praise
pray to
put on a pedestal
respect
revere
reverence
sanctify
sing
sing praises to
venerate

What's the purpose of this list?

1Way1Truth1Life

Nonsense, since your preferred interpretations of the Bible hardly qualify as "the Truth, the Way and the Life."

Back to Post #62.

You have already admitted you are blind to the Truth, the Way and the Life through your posts. So that is how it is. I pray God will open your blinded eyes.

Cruciform

Worship: 1. reverent honor and homage paid to God or a sacred personage, or to any object regarded as sacred. 4. extravagant respect or admiration for or devotion to an object of esteem
Relying on generic dictionary definitions for theological words is rarely a good idea. Rather, one should specifically seek out a theological dictionary for such technical terms. For example:

worship: "divine honors rendered to a deity" (Elwell, ed., Evangelical Dictionary of Theology, p. 1192).
worship: "adoration and honor given to God" (Catechism of the Catholic Church: Glossary, p. 904).

Note that both Evangelical Protestant and Catholic definitions of "worship" are entirely complimentary.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Last edited:

rstrats

The line separating worship from veneration is blurry to say the least And even veneration, from a Biblical standpoint, is an overly ambitious stretch. Nowhere in scripture is any special attention given to the Messiah's mother after she had received the visit of the angel to inform her that she was to give birth to the Messiah and then again shortly after by Elizabeth. And that's it with the exception of when the Messiah tells His mother to observe her son in John 19:26. In fact I'm not aware of any scripture where the Messiah pays any special homage to His mother. In fact when her name comes up, the Messiah seems to be a bit irritated.

Luke 2:48-29 -- So when they saw Him, they were amazed; and His mother said to Him, "Son, why have You done this to us? Look, Your father and I have sought You anxiously." And He said to them, "Why is it that you sought Me? Did you not know that I must be about My Father's business?"

Matthew 12:46-50 - - While he yet talked to the people, behold, his mother and his brethren stood without, desiring to speak with him. Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee. But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren? And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren! For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

John 2:1-4 - - And the third day there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee; and the mother of Jesus was there: And both Jesus was called, and his disciples, to the marriage. And when they wanted wine, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, They have no wine. Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come.

Also, when she is included with the disciples and the other believers on the day of Pentecost, she’s not an object of veneration or even a leader in the early church—she’s just one among many. There simply are no biblical examples of anyone ever praying to her, honoring her, or venerating her. It certainly seems strange that the filled with the Holy Spirit New Testament writers basically ignore her if she is to be placed in the exalted position that the Catholic Church places her.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
It certainly seems strange that the filled with the Holy Spirit New Testament writers basically ignore her if she is to be placed in the exalted position that the Catholic Church places her.

It's not just a Catholic doctrine. It's the Christian doctrine with regard to Mary. The Orthodox doctrine of the Theotokos is not essentially different from the Catholic and Protestant idea of "Mother of God", although there are nuances involved. Ask Arsenios, who probably would know better than I do.

It is the consolation and the superabundant goodness of God, that man is able to exult in such a treasure. Mary is his true Mother ..
(Sermon, Christmas, 1522)

Mary is the Mother of Jesus and the Mother of all of us even though it was Christ alone who reposed on her knees . . . If he is ours, we ought to be in his situation; there where he is, we ought also to be and all that he has ought to be ours, and his mother is also our mother.
(Sermon, Christmas, 1529)
The veneration of Mary is inscribed in the very depths of the human heart.
(Sermon, September 1, 1522)

[She is the] highest woman and the noblest gem in Christianity after Christ . . . She is nobility, wisdom, and holiness personified. We can never honor her enough. Still honor and praise must be given to her in such a way as to injure neither Christ nor the Scriptures.
(Sermon, Christmas, 1531)

No woman is like you. You are more than Eve or Sarah, blessed above all nobility, wisdom, and sanctity.
(Sermon, Feast of the Visitation, 1537)

One should honor Mary as she herself wished and as she expressed it in the Magnificat. She praised God for his deeds. How then can we praise her? The true honor of Mary is the honor of God, the praise of God's grace . . . Mary is nothing for the sake of herself, but for the sake of Christ . . . Mary does not wish that we come to her, but through her to God.
(Explanation of the Magnificat, 1521)

Martin Luther

Hostility to Mary is a rather modern unorthodoxy.

1Way1Truth1Life

Relying on generic dictionary definitions for theological words is rarely a good idea. Rather, one should specifically seek out a theological dictionary for such technical terms. For example:

worship: "divine honors rendered to a deity" (Elwell, ed., Evangelical Dictionary of Theology, p. 1192).
worship: "adoration and honor given to God" (Catechism of the Catholic Church: Glossary, p. 904).

Note that both Evangelical Protestant and Catholic definitions of "worship" are entirely complimentary.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Nope.