ECT Q for those who believe in salvation by grace thru faith in Christ w/o works

Q for those who believe in salvation by grace thru faith in Christ w/o works

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Derf

Agreed.
They are indicators of salvation if and only if the person is actually saved. And if they are absent, their absence is not an indication of a lack of Christian faith.
I think I understand what you mean here, and at any single point in time I agree. But over a longer time period, an unwillingness to apply these things would be an indicator of lack of saving faith, imo.
Does obeying Colossians 3:1-2 (KJV) constitute a saving willingness?
I'm not sure I get your meaning. Paul was like a father to these folks, so he was giving them fatherly instruction, as handed to him from God. If they are unwilling to do these things he gave them to do, they were rejecting his leadership over them, but since his leadership over them came from God, in essence they were rejecting God's instruction.

One can do that sometimes as a believer, but if that is a constant attitude in one's mind, I think it indicates a lack of saving faith.

I would expect our sanctification to start at the same time, or even before, possibly, our justification. The speed at which our sanctification progresses will vary between individuals and between different times in an individual's life, with some ground lost, perhaps. But the general trajectory ought to be toward more willingness to obey God.

Derf

No, I don't.

You're not paying attention.

The way YOU are presupposing it to be true cannot be true because it creates contradictions that do not and CANNOT exist.

Until you have questioned your presuppositions on all of your Paul Said You Can Lose Your Justification verses, instead of ignoring the contradictions your position creates, further discussion will be fruitless.

If you want to talk with me on this, fine. First, nail down once and for all whether a person who has already been forgiven all trespasses and declared justified in Christ can then become unjustified and lost. I believe you already said "no" but when you keep raising these objections, you're talking out both sides of your mouth.

Your choice is really very simple: Either

a) forgiveness and justification in Christ cannot ever be lost

or

b) they can be lost.

PICK ONE.
I want to give your post the attention it deserves, and I might not be able to through this weekend. I'll try to get to it as soon as I can.

Derf

That is not what I am saying. I already told you that I know that I have eternal life. My words about only the LORD knowing who has it were in answer to this question of yours:

Here is what I said earlier about me knowing that I have eternal life:

If you don't know that you have eternal life then you don't:

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen"
(Heb.11:1).​
If your statement were true, then John would have no need to write to folks about how they can know they have eternal life. Assurance of salvation is not the same thing as salvation. You can have one without the other. Salvation with lack of assurance is certainly a bad thing, but not devastating. Assurance with lack of salvation has eternal consequences.
Those with true faith KNOW that the things written in the Bible are true and we know that we have received the gift of eternal life:

"For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God"
(1 Cor.12:11-12).​

The Lord has given us an understanding about these things:

"And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life"
(1 Jn.5:20).​
Thus, if we know these things already, there is no reason for John to write them. But John did so to help the faith of those that might have been questioning their salvation. Part of the way God gives us understanding is that His apostles wrote some very fine letters to teach us.

As I said before, those with true faith have been given a life in Jesus Christ, and that life is described as being "eternal" (1 Jn.5:11). The Greek word translated "eternal" means "without end, never to cease, everlasting" (Thayer's Greek English Lexicon).

If the life a true believer has in the Lord Jesus could possibly come to an end then it was never eternal to begin with. But John tells us that we already possess a life in the Lord Jesus which is eternal.

That, my fried, is eternal security.
I never questioned a true believer's salvation or eternal security. I questioned an unbeliever's salvation/security, as you can see in the part of my post that you quoted. If you take the time to re-read the quote in your post, you might notice that the word "unbeliever" is there, but there's no evidence of the word "believer" there.

Have a good weekend, Jerry.

PS. J.C. Ryle wrote a pretty good tract on this subject at http://www.biblebb.com/files/ryle/faith_and_assurance.htm

Reactions: Lon

Jerry Shugart

If your statement were true, then John would have no need to write to folks about how they can know they have eternal life.

Are you not even aware of how a true believer knows that he has eternal life? The fact is revealed to us in the Holy Scriptures. Here is how we know that we have eternal life:

"And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life"
(1 Jn.5:11-13).​

Those with true faith know that they have eternal life because we have been given the evidence that it is true:

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen"

If you do not have the evidence that you have eternal life then your faith does not stand in the power of God:

"And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God" (1 Cor.2:4-5).​

Jerry Shugart

PS. J.C. Ryle wrote a pretty good tract on this subject at http://www.biblebb.com/files/ryle/faith_and_assurance.htm

From J.C. Ryle:

"A man may have saving faith in Christ, and yet never enjoy an assured hope, like the Apostle Paul."

The Apostle Paul:

"And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever" (2 Tim.4:18).​

Derf

Are you not even aware of how a true believer knows that he has eternal life? The fact is revealed to us in the Holy Scriptures. Here is how we know that we have eternal life:

"And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life"
(1 Jn.5:11-13).​
Yes, I realize that. That's why I mentioned "John" in my post, because you had referred to that verse in your previous post. I think you may be trying to keep up with too many posts, Jerry. You repeat yourself way too much.

I agree with all that you've said here.
Those with true faith know that they have eternal life because we have been given the evidence that it is true:

If you do not have the evidence that you have eternal life then your faith does not stand in the power of God:

"And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God" (1 Cor.2:4-5).​

From J.C. Ryle:

"A man may have saving faith in Christ, and yet never enjoy an assured hope, like the Apostle Paul."

The Apostle Paul:

"And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever" (2 Tim.4:18).​
Yep, I'm good with all that. Thanks for your comments, Jerry.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I think I understand what you mean here, and at any single point in time I agree. But over a longer time period, an unwillingness to apply these things would be an indicator of lack of saving faith, imo.I'm not sure I get your meaning. Paul was like a father to these folks, so he was giving them fatherly instruction, as handed to him from God. If they are unwilling to do these things he gave them to do, they were rejecting his leadership over them, but since his leadership over them came from God, in essence they were rejecting God's instruction.
I couldn't have made a more compelling argument for Catholicism than that if I tried, and I have tried.
One can do that sometimes as a believer, but if that is a constant attitude in one's mind, I think it indicates a lack of saving faith.

I would expect our sanctification to start at the same time, or even before, possibly, our justification. The speed at which our sanctification progresses will vary between individuals and between different times in an individual's life, with some ground lost, perhaps. But the general trajectory ought to be toward more willingness to obey God.
The Apostle Paul was a murderer. For that matter, so was King David, moreso, and he was also an adulterer. Now Paul says, "...the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God."

So neither Paul nor King David shall inherit the kingdom of God, according to Paul, because both of them did such things.

Since the above is plainly wrong, there must be an explanation for why Paul wrote what he did and the way he did. I think that something like Colossians 3:1-2 (KJV) fills in that gap.

Derf

I couldn't have made a more compelling argument for Catholicism than that if I tried, and I have tried.
The Apostle Paul was a murderer. For that matter, so was King David, moreso, and he was also an adulterer. Now Paul says, "...the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God."

So neither Paul nor King David shall inherit the kingdom of God, according to Paul, because both of them did such things.
I think you're missing the importance of the tense Paul used. He said "they which DO such things", not "they which DID such things". Which, again, emphasizes the importance of repentance in the life of a believer. It's similar to 1 Cor 6:9-11's "and such were some of you".
Since the above is plainly wrong, there must be an explanation for why Paul wrote what he did and the way he did. I think that something like Colossians 3:1-2 (KJV) fills in that gap.
Can you explain to me why you think so?

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I think you're missing the importance of the tense Paul used. He said "they which DO such things", not "they which DID such things". Which, again, emphasizes the importance of repentance in the life of a believer. It's similar to 1 Cor 6:9-11's "and such were some of you".
I guess I can understand the desire to be cautious, but then I find it difficult to believe that such caution is warranted in the light of Colossians 3:1-2 (KJV) and Ephesians 2:6 (KJV).
Can you explain to me why you think so?
Because 2nd Corinthians 5:7 (KJV) says that we walk by faith and not by sight, in talking about our heavenly home (2Co5:1KJV).

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Let me add this too Derf.

Galatians 5:16 (KJV) promises us that if we walk in the Spirit, we will not fulfill the lust of the flesh. Where does Scripture say that we have a right or the power to judge that others, based on whether "they which do such things" (Ga5:21KJV)---like Paul, are not saved, or do not have saving faith, or are not Christians, or are not members of the Body of Christ, the Church?

Derf

Fruitless indeed!

Fruitless indeed!

Thanks for you patience. Your question is a valid one, but not a simple one.
No, I don't.

You're not paying attention.

The way YOU are presupposing it to be true cannot be true because it creates contradictions that do not and CANNOT exist.

Until you have questioned your presuppositions on all of your Paul Said You Can Lose Your Justification verses, instead of ignoring the contradictions your position creates, further discussion will be fruitless.
Fruitless? discussion is fruitless unless I agree with you? Surely you wouldn't give up so quickly on someone that disagrees with you. Wouldn't you patiently take the time to explain what you are telling them in words they can understand, like 2 Tim 2:24, 25? My son is a bit of a geek, and when he talks to people about geek things, he tends to assume they understand the geek language he is using, so he blasts right through his explanations not checking to see if his listeners are understanding what he's saying. I regularly have to admonish him to recognize his audience and speak in terms they can understand. If we presuppose our listeners are understanding us, we do them the disservice of talking gibberish to them, similar to Paul's admonition about speaking in tongues vs. prophesying: But if all of you are prophesying, and unbelievers or people who don't understand these things come into your meeting, they will be convicted of sin and judged by what you say. [1Co 14:24 NLT]. Which not only tells us that we need to talk in a language our hearers can understand, but it also tells us that unbelievers need to be convicted of sin and judged by what we say, which helps to answer your survey question in the affirmative.
If you want to talk with me on this, fine. First, nail down once and for all whether a person who has already been forgiven all trespasses and declared justified in Christ can then become unjustified and lost. I believe you already said "no" but when you keep raising these objections, you're talking out both sides of your mouth.

Your choice is really very simple: Either

a) forgiveness and justification in Christ cannot ever be lost

or

b) they can be lost.

PICK ONE.
This may get too long for the question you are asking, but bear with me for a moment. I think it's easy to confuse a couple different things here.
There are a few questions I'd like to ask and try to answer.

The first is, when did/does the act of justification take place? If Jesus' death was the act of justification for every one who believes, then it occurred once, and of course would never be needed again. The question we now ask is when is Christ's righteousness imputed to us? I think most would agree it's at the moment of belief, right?

So then my question from earlier in your thread (which was addressed to one of your other posters, unfortunately), becomes important: Can a believer cease believing?

Additionally, from what I've seen of your posts, you ascribe to open theism. If so, then I have a question for you: Is God able to tell at the moment of belief whether a person is "truly" believing or not? Is it something that is apparent to God? If so, then our argument about Abraham has lost all it's footing--if God knew from the first time that Abraham believed anything that He would believe all the way, then there was no reason for God to say "now I know that you fear God" (Gen 22:12), as He would have known all along, at least from the point where "he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness." [Gen 15:6 KJV]

Jesus seem to be distinguishing between true believers and the other kind in His parable of the sower. This verse might apply to our conversation:
They on the rock [are they], which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away. [Luk 8:13 KJV]

Calvinists have it easy on this point--they acknowledge that God must make the decision to justify based on His own wisdom in what He is going to do with that person in the future, and Arminians say God only has to look into the future to determine the final state, i.e., whether that person's faith was sufficient to outlast the temptations. Open Theists have it the hardest--they have to acknowledge the free will of the believer both before and after their decision to believe, and God's limitation to only know what the believer's past and current state of belief; thus it seems to me Open Theists would have to allow for the possibility for believers to stop believing, at which point, any benefits, including justification, that apply only to believers would not be available to them.

I went looking for a good citation after I wrote the above, and the following does an excellent job of describing what I was trying to say. And it applies equally well to the question of justification addressed in the survey.

Certainly clinging to an act of profession of faith in our past would not be a way to assure us of salvation, but rather what is our current state? Are we believing in Jesus NOW? Are we bearing fruit NOW? Are we loving the brethren NOW? If not, then you have to ask yourself:
do-you-feel-lucky.jpg

Derf

So do you KNOW that you already posess eternal life?

Do you agree that those who have been given eternal life shall never perish?

Do you agree that you enjoy eternal security?

Thanks!

My faith has found a resting place,
Not in device or creed;
I trust the ever living One,
His wounds for me shall plead.

Refrain

I need no other argument,
I need no other plea,
It is enough that Jesus died,
And that He died for me.​

Enough for me that Jesus saves,
This ends my fear and doubt;
A sinful soul I come to Him,
He’ll never cast me out.

Refrain

My heart is leaning on the Word,
The living Word of God,
Salvation by my Savior’s Name,
Salvation through His blood.

Refrain

My great Physician heals the sick,
The lost He came to save;
For me His precious blood He shed,
For me His life He gave.

Refrain

Derf

I guess I can understand the desire to be cautious, but then I find it difficult to believe that such caution is warranted in the light of Colossians 3:1-2 (KJV) and Ephesians 2:6 (KJV).
Because 2nd Corinthians 5:7 (KJV) says that we walk by faith and not by sight, in talking about our heavenly home (2Co5:1KJV).
I'm not trying to be cautious, I don't think. If our faith is in the finished work of Christ on the cross, then we have those things which pertain to our heavenly home. If it isn't, we don't. If we find ourselves doing the kind of things that pertain to our flesh, we should stop, because those things are not the kind of things that will be in our heavenly home. If we don't want to stop doing those things, then maybe heaven isn't our home.

Let me add this too Derf.

Galatians 5:16 (KJV) promises us that if we walk in the Spirit, we will not fulfill the lust of the flesh. Where does Scripture say that we have a right or the power to judge that others, based on whether "they which do such things" (Ga5:21KJV)---like Paul, are not saved, or do not have saving faith, or are not Christians, or are not members of the Body of Christ, the Church?
Was I doing that? I don't think I have been judging whether any particular person was saved or not. But if someone is putting their trust in something that is insufficient, shouldn't we, like Paul (in Gal 5), tell them?

On the other hand, if you feel judged by what I've been writing, you might want to consider why. My message has been pretty clear--if you believe what Paul said about Christ and walking in His Spirit, you will have a heavenly home. If you don't, you won't.

Our faith seems to rely on our keeping our conscience clear:
Cling to your faith in Christ, and keep your conscience clear. For some people have deliberately violated their consciences; as a result, their faith has been shipwrecked. [1Ti 1:19 NLT]

Jerry Shugart

My faith has found a resting place

In other words, you take the fifth on the grounds that your answer might tend to incriminate you!

Here are those questions again:

Derf

In other words, you take the fifth on the grounds that your answer might tend to incriminate you!

Yes, yes, and yes. Yet if I rejected God's son's death as the only payment for my sin tomorrow, I do not believe that I would have eternal security.

Now, that either means that something will have changed in my eternal security, or it means that nothing will have changed in my eternal security. If the latter, then it means that my perception of my eternal security was incorrect, and based on something false (an important error to recognize, don't you think?). If the former, well, that's pretty important to recognize. I can't say which one I believe is the truth, but as far as we humans are concerned, we have to deal with where we are RIGHT NOW, and not at some point in the past or future.

Jerry Shugart

Yes, yes, and yes. Yet if I rejected God's son's death as the only payment for my sin tomorrow, I do not believe that I would have eternal security.

So you know that you already have eternal life and you know that you will never perish but you stand reason on its head and assert that you can perish!

You speak out of both sides of your mouth, friend!

Derf

So you know that you already have eternal life and you know that you will never perish but you stand reason on its head and assert that you can perish!

You speak out of both sides of your mouth, friend!
Maybe. But if any unbeliever perishes, then becoming an unbeliever would put me in the ranks of those that are perishing. Is it possible for a believer to become an unbeliever? I don't know. I don't want to find out. What a tragedy for someone to reject the most loving act God could ever do in favor of...whatever else there might be! I have a friend or two that have rejected God from a position of prior belief. I don't know if their belief was true belief or not. But if I met them afresh and they told me that they don't believe (without telling me any history of their prior belief position), I would say they did not have eternal life.

Why would my opinion change if they told me they PREVIOUSLY believed, even though they don't now?

What would you think in that scenario?

Let me put it another way:
If you are saying that belief in Jesus Christ is the only way of salvation, yet you are saying that an unbeliever (who believed previously) is still saved, now you are saying there is another way of salvation that does not include belief in Christ. Whether that "way of salvation" is a profession of faith, or responding to an altar call, or praying the sinner's prayer, or whatever, it is still a different gospel.

dodge

You believe that one does not even have to be "willing" to stop sinning ?

I believe that concept of not being "willing" to stop sinning can be backed up with scripture !