ECT Ps 89: too much about Christ to be about David

Interplanner

Well then, quote the NT passage to which you make reference and then tell me your interpretation of that passage.

Besides the agonizing at the end as quoted in Rom 15, here is Metzgers Greek Testaments list. It is the United Bible Society's greek testament used in most seminaries. It has a list of the 2500 uses of the OT by the NT at the back.

89:
3-4 Jn 7:42
4 Jn 12:34
10 Lk 1:51
11 I Cor 10:26
20 Acts 13:22
26 I Pet 1:17
27 Rev 1:5
36 Jn 12:34
50,51 I Pet 4:14

I think they missed Rom 15:3 in their list which is identified in most versions, plus:

25 (calming of the sea)
27 (firstborn in Col 1)
27 (most exalted king, Rev 12)

No luck about it.

Jerry Shugart

Besides the agonizing at the end as quoted in Rom 15, here is Metzgers Greek Testaments list. It is the United Bible Society's greek testament used in most seminaries. It has a list of the 2500 uses of the OT by the NT at the back.

89:
3-4 Jn 7:42
4 Jn 12:34

Neither of those passages even hint that what I said here is in error:

The following is speaking about David and not about the Lord Jesus:

"I have made a covenant with my chosen, I have sworn unto David my servant, Thy seed will I establish for ever, and build up thy throne to all generations" (Ps.89:3-4).​

We can see that the Lord told Nathan to tell David these promises:

"And it came to pass that night, that the word of the LORD came unto Nathan, saying, Go and tell my servant David...I will set up thy seed after thee, which shall proceed out of thy bowels, and I will establish his kingdom. He shall build an house for my name, and I will stablish the throne of his kingdom for ever. I will be his father, and he shall be my son. If he commit iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men, and with the stripes of the children of men: But my mercy shall not depart away from him, as I took it from Saul, whom I put away before thee. And thine house and thy kingdom shall be established for ever before thee: thy throne shall be established for ever" (2 Sam.7:5, 12-16).​

Nathan told David these promises and it is ridiculous to argue that he told the Lord Jesus these promises because the Lord Jesus was not even on the earth at that time. So the promises of the Lord were made to David and not the Lord Jesus.

So in Psalm 89 the reference is to David and not the Lord Jesus.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The promise to David was that his seed would build the LORD's house:

"And it came to pass that night, that the word of the LORD came unto Nathan, saying, Go and tell my servant David...I will set up thy seed after thee, which shall proceed out of thy bowels, and I will establish his kingdom. He shall build an house for my name, and I will stablish the throne of his kingdom for ever. I will be his father, and he shall be my son. If he commit iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men, and with the stripes of the children of men: But my mercy shall not depart away from him, as I took it from Saul, whom I put away before thee. And thine house and thy kingdom shall be established for ever before thee: thy throne shall be established for ever" (2 Sam.7:5, 12-16).​

And that truth is confirmed by David here:

"And of all my sons, (for the LORD hath given me many sons,) he hath chosen Solomon my son to sit upon the throne of the kingdom of the LORD over Israel. And he said unto me, Solomon thy son, he shall build my house and my courts: for I have chosen him to be my son, and I will be his father" (1 Chron.5:6).​

Nope,

The Lord has intertwined the truth about Jesus among the OT promises and you can not discern them.

Your misunderstanding of Gen ch 17 began most of the confusion you are in.

Try to pray to the Lord for discernment and wisdom.

Jas 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
Jas 1:6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
Jas 1:7 For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.
Jas 1:8 A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

LA

Jerry Shugart

The Lord has intertwined the truth about Jesus among the OT promises and you can not discern them.

As usual you quote me and then you do not even attempt to prove anything which I said is in error. And it is obvious that you are unable to prove that what I said is wrong.

Interplanner

Nope,

Jas 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
Jas 1:6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.

LA

Is jerry one deaf to the NT? does the final declarations of the NT mean anything to him? Are we always going back to the OT to resolve these without knowing what the NT says? Why is Christ's final debate with Judaism about the nothing of being David's son because David called him Lord? Why are Ps 2, 16 and 110 the most used by the apostles instead of D'ism's Ps 83 about defeating all Israel's enemies?

Interplanner

Nope,

LA

Is jerry one deaf to the NT? does the final declarations of the NT mean anything to him? Are we always going back to the OT to resolve these without knowing what the NT says? Why is Christ's final debate with Judaism about the nothing of being David's son because David called him Lord? Why are Ps 2, 16 and 110 the most used by the apostles instead of D'ism's Ps 83 about defeating all of Isrsel's enemies?

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Is jerry one deaf to the NT? does the final declarations of the NT mean anything to him? Are we always going back to the OT to resolve these without knowing what the NT says? Why is Christ's final debate with Judaism about the nothing of being David's son because David called him Lord? Why are Ps 2, 16 and 110 the most used by the apostles instead of D'ism's Ps 83 about defeating all of Isrsel's enemies?

Jerry uses his human reasonings .

2Co 3:14 But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.
2Co 3:15 But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.
2Co 3:16 Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away.

LA

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER

2Co 3:14 But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.
2Co 3:15 But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.
2Co 3:16 Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away.

LA

So...you're not human?

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
So...you're not human?

Now you are being stupid.

1Co 2:9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
1Co 2:10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
1Co 2:11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
1Co 2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
1Co 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
1Co 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
1Co 2:15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
1Co 2:16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

Jerry Shugart

Too bad you weren't around in the first century so you could correct Paul for using "human reasoning":

"And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures" (Acts 17:2).​

You resent it when a Christian reasons out of the Scriptures because you think that we should follow your method of throwing your reason to the wind.

SaulToPaul 2

It is very sad that in your 40 years of study and debate that you still do not know what the "OT" and "NT" are.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Too bad you weren't around in the first century so you could correct Paul for using "human reasoning":

"And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures" (Acts 17:2).​

You resent it when a Christian reasons out of the Scriptures because you think that we should follow your method of throwing your reason to the wind.

You claim to know what is in my heart.

and you also claim to know better than Gods word.

You act like a false prophet, who has learnt from men and not from the Lord.

You teach much like a SDA (some of their stuff is good)

Were you ever an SDA?

LA

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
You claim to know what is in my heart.

I didn't get the impression that Jerry was claiming that.
He was just reading your words and exercising human reason to try to make sense out of it.

and you also claim to know better than Gods word.

I never get that impression either.

You act like a false prophet, who has learnt from men and not from the Lord.

It seems that Jerry has a tremendous grasp on what GOD is saying in the Scriptures.

You teach much like a SDA (some of their stuff is good)

Most of their stuff is junk.

Were you ever an SDA?

LA

I seriously doubt it.

Did you use human reason to arrive at that conclusion?