Protecting Yourself With The Law

glorydaz

Shalom.

I am under grace. But I am a Jew and Jesus was born under the law. Under the law has meant different things to different people. It may not be the same in every instance in the Bible. I once understood it to mean under condemnation.

Shalom.

Jacob

Let's look at this again.

If you're under the Law, that means you're under the power and authority of the Law. It then has the power to judge and condemn you. Right?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Let's look at this again.

If you're under the Law, that means you're under the power and authority of the Law. It then has the power to judge and condemn you. Right?
Shalom.

That is one way to see the phrase under the Law. The question is if it is Biblical.

Shalom.

Jacob

glorydaz

Shalom.

That is one way to see the phrase under the Law. The question is if it is Biblical.

Shalom.

Jacob

Romans 3:19-20 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.​

Paul seems to teach that it has authority until grace comes. We are under the schoolmaster until faith comes. He uses this analogy about a woman being under her husband's authority until he dies. Comparing that to the law.

Romans 7:1-6
Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth? For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband. So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man. Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God. For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.
But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.​

Those who are under the law are obsessed with law keeping and sin. The law's dominion is quite apparent in those such as yourself.

glorydaz

Are you familiar with the Book of the Law?

Are you familiar with the ministry of death engraven in stone tablets?

I'm pretty sure Jacob isn't talking about the book of the law...which are the first five books of the OT.

There are the ten commandments of God...kept on the inside of the ark of the covenant, and the law of Moses kept on the outside of the ark. Do you have anything else you want to grill me over before you respond to what Jacob is claiming here?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Romans 3:19-20 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.​

Paul seems to teach that it has authority until grace comes. We are under the schoolmaster until faith comes. He uses this analogy about a woman being under her husband's authority until he dies. Comparing that to the law.

Romans 7:1-6
Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth? For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband. So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man. Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God. For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.
But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.​

Those who are under the law are obsessed with law keeping and sin. The law's dominion is quite apparent in those such as yourself.
Shalom.

Obedience is not sin. I believe that you are confused about me.

When you do not commit adultery, what law are you observing? The Law of Moses is God's law. In the new covenant in Yeshua Messiah, for the house of Israel and the house of Judah, God's law is written on minds and hearts.

Shalom.

Jacob

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Are you familiar with the ministry of death engraven in stone tablets?

Yes, Satan holds the power of death over the flesh, but not over the Spirit. Jesus died to free us from Satan and to reconcile us to the Father so that we may receive immortality through the Son.

glorydaz

Shalom.

Obedience is not sin. I believe that you are confused about me.

When you do not commit adultery, what law are you observing? The Law of Moses is God's law. In the new covenant in Yeshua Messiah, for the house of Israel and the house of Judah, God's law is written on minds and hearts.

Shalom.

Jacob

Oh, "when you do not commit adultery"....are you saying you never look at a woman in a lustful way or have any untoward thoughts? Do you obey every single sabbath law? Do you follow the dietary laws with all care?

glorydaz

Yes, Satan holds the power of death over the flesh, but not over the Spirit. Jesus died to free us from Satan and to reconcile us to the Father so that we may receive immortality through the Son.

No, he doesn't. It was only through "fear of death" that men "were all their lifetime subject to bondage".

Satan only has power over those who give it to him.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Oh, "when you do not commit adultery"....are you saying you never look at a woman in a lustful way or have any untoward thoughts? Do you obey every single sabbath law? Do you follow the dietary laws with all care?

I see that like many, you are confused about Mosaic Laws. Some were for the Jews, some were for all of mankind (universal, i.e. absolute).

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
You missed something....that's for darn sure. :chuckle:

Yeah, and those like you seem to be confused about God's laws and the laws of Moses.

Isn't debate a wonderful thing? How about we engage in one?

Where does it say in Holy Scripture that God is ok with adultery (sexual sins), murder & theft?

Wait, surely you're not comparing Jewish dietary laws (not eating shellfish, pork, etc. which Jesus rescinded) with universal moral laws are you? (laws that Jesus didn't rescind such as the ones I mentioned above).

glorydaz

Isn't debate a wonderful thing? How about we engage in one?

WOW....I believe I'm honored somehow.

Where does it say in Holy Scripture that God is ok with adultery (sexual sins), murder & theft?

I never said He was. Why do you ask?

Wait, surely you're not comparing Jewish dietary laws (not eating shellfish, pork, etc. which Jesus rescinded) with universal moral laws are you? (laws that Jesus didn't rescind such as the ones I mentioned above).

Nope, I'm not comparing them at all. I was pointing out there are God's laws and there was the Mosaic Laws.

Perhaps you don't know the purpose of the law. Is that the problem?