program

zoo22

An agnostic doesn't know if they are lying.

Okay, thanks.

Well, I'm glad she didn't take your advice for her to lie, and I'm also glad she argued with you about it. She's on my good side for both of those things, agnostic or not.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Okay, thanks.

Well, I'm glad she didn't take your advice for her to lie, and I'm also glad she argued with you about it. She's on my good side for both of those things, agnostic or not.

she would have laughed at that

zoo22

Would a good dating service fix you up with a Catholic?

No. But I wouldn't mind dating someone who was Catholic, unless I found out they were lying on the questionnaire about it. But I guess it would depend on how religious they were, and how it was integrated into their life.

I'd think a Catholic would be more likely to mind than I would about having different religious views.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
No. But I wouldn't mind dating someone who was Catholic, unless I found out they were lying on the questionnaire about it. But I guess it would depend on how religious they were, and how it was integrated into their life.

I'd think a Catholic would be more likely to mind than I would about having different religious views.

it's about having something in common
and
being able to communicate

Iwannaknow

BANNED
Banned
it's about having something in common
and
being able to communicate

How about witnessing the gospel of Jesus Christ being our Lord and Savior? Would that suffice as something you'd consider common enough between believers? Because I refuse to subscribe to any denominational doctrine that teaches otherwise and most of them do.

Like I said...I fly by the spiritual seat of my pants being led by the Holy Spirit...that's the only pastor, teacher, evangelist I trust these days.

I did my time in the church of four walls as God led me to back in the day when I was bottle feeding. The Lord has never led me to another since then. I attend some still when I'm invited, but only then and usually...I never return to them. I see God using me in other areas of my life with regard to witnessing to those He places in my path. It is sufficient for me as I wait upon God to instruct me in all things...at least I try with each new day.

zoo22

It's about having something in common and being able to communicate.

Sure, those are both important parts of a good relationship. They're a couple of the many reasons it would be a terrible idea to lie about your religion on a questionnaire at a dating service.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Sure, those are both important parts of a good relationship. They're a couple of the many reasons it would be a terrible idea to lie about your religion on a questionnaire at a dating service.

why? do think it would be a sin?
is it really misrepresenting yourself if you were raised catholic?
of course not because you are letting them know where you are coming from

zoo22

Why? Do think it would be a sin? Is it really misrepresenting yourself if you were raised catholic? Of course not, because you are letting them know where you are coming from.

The question is specifically about your current view on God. That's the "where you're coming from" they're looking for with that question. Not about how you were raised.

I agree aspects of how you were raised could be an interesting commonality, but that's not what the question is for.

And yes, of course it's a lie if you don't tell the truth.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
it was a stupid questionnaire
and
she was not meeting the right people
she could change that by saying she was catholic
she would then meet people who speak the same language

I'm guessing she's a daughter or granddaughter. I can understand your pain at seeing her leave the faith, but lying about it won't bring her back to it. You can't control most people forever, no matter how much love is there (or not). Eventually, they will break free.

Thunder's Muse

I'm guessing she's a daughter or granddaughter. I can understand your pain at seeing her leave the faith, but lying about it won't bring her back to it. You can't control most people forever, no matter how much love is there (or not). Eventually, they will break free.

Some have to break free so they can find their own way back.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
this is a really interesting discussion
and
I have to thank freelight for pushing the right buttons

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I agree aspects of how you were raised could be an interesting commonality, but that's not what the question is for.

duh?
that is what the question is for and you can use it to achieve your end goal

now our argument was not about whether or not she was catholic but about whether or not she wanted to date catholics
my point was that she would have a better chance connecting with catholics
regardless of who was actually practicing their religion

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
this is exactly why everyone should properly identify themselves here at tol

it helps us understand what you are saying
and
it helps us understand you

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
this is exactly why everyone should properly identify themselves here at tol

it helps us understand what you are saying
and
it helps us understand you

So you know I'm Catholic and I know you're Catholic, but I don't think we understand each other very well at all.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I'm glad you recognized that

there are always exceptions
there are plenty of catholics I don't get along with

I think you don't get along with me because I challenge you and you don't like to be challenged, especially by someone who shouldn't be challenging you because she's Catholic, so it's a loyalty thing. And a control thing.

That's what I think about you, but I don't know if I'm right.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Did she want to focus her dating on Catholics?

no and that is what the argument was about
she agreed she would be dating catholics if she identified herself as one
she really resented my suggestion that she would have better luck with catholics
that is what she refused to accept