Prison guards cook prisoner to death

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
He deserved to be incarcerated. He didn't deserve to be cooked alive in the shower.

That's not justice. :nono:

my working definition of "deserved" is "earned by his actions"

by his actions, as described in the OP, he earned a response

he got it :idunno:

WizardofOz

Being mentally ill and spreading feces in his cell, that was his action. He earned being cooked alive by this action?

Perhaps this action earned a response but being cooked alive was not a response that he earned or deserved.

ok doser

Being mentally ill and spreading feces in his cell, that was his action. He earned being cooked alive by this action?

Perhaps this action earned a response but being cooked alive was not a response that he earned or deserved.

but we can't choose the responses that come from our poor choices, can we?

i could choose to drink a quart of jack Daniels and drive 140 mph on my way home tonight

chances are good that by choosing to sow recklessness i will reap consequences - they may be a loss of license, a loss of my intact car, a loss of physical integrity, a loss of life (mine or others) or any of a myriad of others

but whatever those consequences are, i will have earned them by my actions

WizardofOz

but we can't choose the responses that come from our poor choices, can we?

i could choose to drink a quart of jack Daniels and drive 140 mph on my way home tonight

chances are good that by choosing to sow recklessness i will reap consequences - they may be a loss of license, a loss of my intact car, a loss of physical integrity, a loss of life (mine or others) or any of a myriad of others

but whatever those consequences are, i will have earned them by my actions

Rainey didn't earn being cooked to death by his actions. It's that simple.

1PeaceMaker

It would be more proper to say that his actions resulted in an unjust response from the prison guards. They may have been reacting, but it worse than an overreaction.

Do you think those prison guards now deserve to be cooked to death in a shower over the course of 2 hours?

WizardofOz

he earned a response

it was a harsh response :idunno:

life's harsh when you're stupid

You label cooking a mentally ill man to death for doing something only mentally ill people do as simply "a harsh response"?

How about immoral or criminal? How about a capital offense? Your argument logically leads any person in jail or prison as having earned being cooked to death.

ok doser

It would be more proper to say that his actions resulted in an unjust response from the prison guards. They may have been reacting, but it worse than an overreaction.

Do you think those prison guards now deserve to be cooked to death in a shower over the course of 2 hours?

i think they deserve a response, and can't expect to control the severity of it or the "justness" of it

if they are tried, convicted, sentenced and imprisoned, they will be, to a large degree, at the mercy of those they have abused in the past

and whatever consequences flow from that, they will have earned them by their actions

WizardofOz

i think they deserve a response, and can't expect to control the severity of it or the "justness" of it

That's what society and the justice system is for. We collectively control the severity of the punishment.

if they are tried, convicted, sentenced and imprisoned,

That's it right there. They have earned a prison sentence. That is what Rainey earned. He didn't earn being cooked alive in a boiling shower.

and whatever consequences flow from that, they will have earned them by their actions

If I am hired to work for $20.00/an hour and work for 8 hours, what have I earned?

"Earn" is defined by an equitable return. You seem to think any extreme positive or negative outcome can be earned by one's action.

1PeaceMaker

That's what society and the justice system is for. We collectively control the severity of the punishment.

That's it right there. They have earned a prison sentence. That is what Rainey earned. He didn't earn being cooked alive in a boiling shower.

If I am hired to work for $20.00/an hour and work for 8 hours, what have I earned?

"Earn" is defined by an equitable return. You seem to think any extreme positive or negative outcome can be earned by one's action.

Excellent response. Pretty much sums up my thinking, as well. :up:

ok doser

So if they get cooked to death, would you say they deserved it?

using the definition "to earn by one's actions", yes

note that this definition says nothing about appropriateness or justness

Last edited:

ok doser

yes, that's the ideal

but we operate with flawed systems

That's it right there. They have earned a prison sentence.

but you recognize that that experience will be different for different people, based on their behaviors while incarcerated

That is what Rainey earned. He didn't earn being cooked alive in a boiling shower.

he earned a response by his behavior in prison - the smearing feces, "creating chaos", etc

the response he earned was to be cooked, apparently :idunno:

160 bucks. right?

minus a whole buncha deductions

and plus a whole buncha stuff:

sore back
tired muscles
eyestrain
raised blood pressure
etc

and if that job frustrates you to the point that you have a heart attack or a stroke?

guess what?

you earned it

"Earn" is defined by an equitable return.

from merriam webster:

Origin of earn

Middle English ernen, from Old English earnian; akin to Old High German arnōn to reap, Czech jeseň autumn

sow the wind, reap the whirlwind :idunno:

You seem to think any extreme positive or negative outcome can be earned by one's action.

with this caveat - only if the action is undertaken with the understanding that it runs the risk of generating an unpredictable response - like my example of speeding while drunk

Last edited:

bybee

yes, that's the ideal

but we operate with flawed systems

but you recognize that that experience will be different for different people, based on their behaviors while incarcerated

he earned a response by his behavior in prison - the smearing feces, "creating chaos", etc

the response he earned was to be cooked, apparently :idunno:

160 bucks. right?

minus a whole buncha deductions

and plus a whole buncha stuff:

sore back
tired muscles
eyestrain
raised blood pressure
etc

and if that job frustrates you to the point that you have a heart attack or a stroke?

guess what?

you earned it

from merriam webster:

Origin of earn

Middle English ernen, from Old English earnian; akin to Old High German arnōn to reap, Czech jeseň autumn

sow the wind, reap the whirlwind :idunno:

with this caveat - only if the action is undertaken with the understanding that it runs the risk of generating an unpredictable response - like my example of speeding while drunk

You earn an "A+" for Nitpicking! Nitpickers cannot see the forest for the trees! The big picture eludes them. They cannot function adequately in a managerial position so they specialize in taking pot shots at those who do qualify for managerial positions.
In short, a worm only sees dirt....