Please help me with what the Deity of Christ means

WatchmanOnTheWall

The word is ladoni then. The lamed, l, means to. The aleph dalet nun yod, Adoni, means my lord.

113 [e]
la·ḏō·nî,
לַֽאדֹנִ֗י
to my Lord
Noun

yes there is being made a distinction that there are two deities and one is speaking to the other. The Father to the Son.

Pierac

The word is ladoni then. The lamed, l, means to. The aleph dalet nun yod, Adoni, means my lord.

113 [e]
la·ḏō·nî,
לַֽאדֹנִ֗י
to my Lord
Noun

let's examine... the term... my lord!

Psa 110:1 A Psalm of David. The LORD says to my Lord: "Sit at My right hand Until I make Your enemies a footstool for Your feet."

Psalms 110:1 is a unusual verse. It is referred to in the New Testament 23 times and is thus quoted much more often than any other verse from the Old Testament. It’s importance must not be overlooked. It is a psalm that tells us the relationship between God and Jesus.

Psalms 110:1 is a divine utterance although poorly translated if your version leaves out the original word "oracle". It is “the oracle of Yahweh” (the One God of the Hebrew Bible, of Judaism and New Testament Christianity) to David's lord who is the Messiah, spoken of here 1000 years before he came into existence in the womb of the Virgin Mary.

I want to bring attention to the fact that David's lord is not David's Lord. There should be no capital on the word "lord." The Revised Version of the Bible (1881) corrected the misleading error of other translations which put (and still wrongly put) a capitol L on lord in that verse.
He is not Lord God, because the word in the inspired text is not the word for Deity, but the word for human superior- a human lord, not a Lord who is himself God, but a lord who is the supremely exalted, unique agent of the one God.

The Hebrew word for the status of the son of God and Psalms 110:1 is adoni. This word occurs 195 times in the Hebrew Bible and never refers to God. When God is described as "the Lord" (capital L) a different word, Adonai, appears. Thus the Bible makes a careful distinction between God and man. God is the Lord God (Adonai), or when his personal name is used, Yahweh, and Jesus is his unique, sinless, virginally conceived human son (adoni, my lord, Luke 1:43; 2:11). Adonai is found 449 times in the Old Testament and distinguishes the One God from all others. Adonai is not the word describing the son of God, Jesus, and Psalms 110:1. adoni appears 195 times and refers only to a human (or occasionally an angelic) lord, that is, someone who is not God. This should cut through a lot of complicated post Biblical argumentation and create a making which in subtle ways that secures the simple and most basic Biblical truth, that God is a single person and that the Messiah is the second Adam, "the Man Messiah" (1 Tim. 2:5).

Let's have a look at a few Old Testament verses that show us the clear distinction alluded to here. In Genesis 15:2, Abraham prays to God and says, "O LORD, God [Adonai Yahweh], what will you give me, since I am childless?" In another prayer Abraham's servant addresses God: "O LORD, God of my lord Abraham, please grant me success today" (Gen. 24:12). The second word for "my lord" here is adoni which according to any standard Hebrew lexicon means "Lord," "Master," or "owner." Another example is found in David's speech to his men after he had cut off the hem of King Saul's robe and his conscience bothered him: "So he said to his men, far be it from me because of the Lord [here the word is Yahweh, Lord God] that I should do this thing to my lord [adoni].”

The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, page 157. states… "The form Adoni (‘my lord’), a royal title (Sam. 29:8), is to be carefully distinguished from the divine title Adonai (‘Lord’) used of Yahweh. Adonai the special plural form [the divine title] distinguishes it from adoni [with short vowel] = ‘my lords.’” Hastings Dictionary of the Bible, vol. 3, page 137. States… “lord in the Old Testament is used to translate Adonai when applied to the Divine Being. The [Hebrew] word… has a suffix [with a special pointing] presumably for the sake of distinction... between divine and human appellative.” Wigram, The Englishman’s Hebrew and Chaldee Concordance of the Old Testament, p. 22. states…
“The form ‘to my lord,’ I’adoni, is never used in the Old Testament as a divine reference… the general excepted fact is that the masoretic pointing distinguishes divine reference (adonai) from human references (adoni).”

“The Hebrew Adonai exclusively denotes the God of Israel. It is attested about 450 times in the Old Testament…Adoni [is] addressed to human beings (Gen 44:7; Num 32:25; 2 Kings 2:19, etc.). We have to assume that the word Adonai received it’s special form to distinguish it from the secular use of adon [i.e. adoni]. The reason why [God is addressed] as Adonai [with long vowel] instead of the normal adon, adoni or adonai [short vowel] may have been to distinguish Yahweh from other gods and from other human Lord's.” from Dictionary of deities and demons in the Bible, p. 531.

If David the Psalmist had expected the Messiah to be the Lord God he would not have used "my lord" (adoni), but the term used exclusively for the one God, Jehovah- Adonai. Unfortunately, though, many English translations which faithfully preserved this distinction elsewhere capitalize the second "lord" only in Psalms 110:1. This gives a misleading impression that the word is a divine title.

Occasionally, it will be objected that this distinction between Adonai and adoni was a late addition to the Hebrew text by the Mesorites around 600 to 700 AD and therefore is not reliable. This objection needs to be considered in the light of the fact that the Hebrew translators of the Septuagint (the LXX) around 250 B.C. recognize and carefully maintained this Hebrew distinction in their work. They never translated the second “lord” of Psalm 110:1 (“my lord,” kyrios mou) to mean the Deity. The first LORD of Psalm 110:1 (the LORD, Ho Kyrios) they always reserve for the one God, Jehovah.

Both the Pharisees and Jesus knew that this inspired verse was crucial in the understanding of the identity of the promised Messiah. Jesus quoted it to show the Messiah would be both the son (descendent) of King David and David's “lord” (see Matt. 22:41-46; Mark 12:35-37; Luke 20:41-44). This key verse, then, quoted more than any other in the New Testament, authorizes the title "lord" for Jesus. Failure to understand this distinction has led to the erroneous idea that whenever the New Testament calls Jesus "Lord" it means he is the Lord God of the Old Testament.

:sherlock::poly:
Paul

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I know, I'm trying to think how I can make you see with scripture but am feeling it may only come with revelation from God? Sometimes we can look at the same verse a hundred times but it's not until God let's us see it through His eye's do we see its true meaning.

This may help?:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=t...#imgdii=Wo5f2GsPbioBcM:&imgrc=-b7ITj4ComismM:
Shalom.

Your link has content that has been related to me before.

However, I was saying that I do not believe there to be two deities.

Shalom.

Jacob

keypurr

As you say read it all, if you focus on one verse like verse 3 then it will cloud your perception but if you look at other verses then you get a clearer understanding, such as:

5 And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began.

10 All I have is yours, and all you have is mine.

21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one— 23 I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

24“Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.

25“Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. 26I have made youe known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them.”

My perception is quite clear friend. What you fail ti understand is the fact the logos, a spirit, spoke through Jesus. The logos was at the creation, Jesus was not. The logos had glory with the Father, the logos came down from above, the logos is the true son on man that has seen and been with the Father.

Christ taught us how to love from the heart and obey his Father. He gave us an understanding of his God. We can all be one with Christ and his Father in the spirit. God wants us to worship him in spirit. Christ came and glorified his Father, not himself. We must do the same.

Sent from my iPad using TOL

Jacob

BANNED
Banned

Psa 110:1 A Psalm of David. The LORD says to my Lord: "Sit at My right hand Until I make Your enemies a footstool for Your feet."

Psalms 110:1 is a unusual verse. It is referred to in the New Testament 23 times and is thus quoted much more often than any other verse from the Old Testament. It’s importance must not be overlooked. It is a psalm that tells us the relationship between God and Jesus.

Psalms 110:1 is a divine utterance although poorly translated if your version leaves out the original word "oracle". It is “the oracle of Yahweh” (the One God of the Hebrew Bible, of Judaism and New Testament Christianity) to David's lord who is the Messiah, spoken of here 1000 years before he came into existence in the womb of the Virgin Mary.

I want to bring attention to the fact that David's lord is not David's Lord. There should be no capital on the word "lord." The Revised Version of the Bible (1881) corrected the misleading error of other translations which put (and still wrongly put) a capitol L on lord in that verse.
He is not Lord God, because the word in the inspired text is not the word for Deity, but the word for human superior- a human lord, not a Lord who is himself God, but a lord who is the supremely exalted, unique agent of the one God.

The Hebrew word for the status of the son of God and Psalms 110:1 is adoni. This word occurs 195 times in the Hebrew Bible and never refers to God. When God is described as "the Lord" (capital L) a different word, Adonai, appears. Thus the Bible makes a careful distinction between God and man. God is the Lord God (Adonai), or when his personal name is used, Yahweh, and Jesus is his unique, sinless, virginally conceived human son (adoni, my lord, Luke 1:43; 2:11). Adonai is found 449 times in the Old Testament and distinguishes the One God from all others. Adonai is not the word describing the son of God, Jesus, and Psalms 110:1. adoni appears 195 times and refers only to a human (or occasionally an angelic) lord, that is, someone who is not God. This should cut through a lot of complicated post Biblical argumentation and create a making which in subtle ways that secures the simple and most basic Biblical truth, that God is a single person and that the Messiah is the second Adam, "the Man Messiah" (1 Tim. 2:5).

Let's have a look at a few Old Testament verses that show us the clear distinction alluded to here. In Genesis 15:2, Abraham prays to God and says, "O LORD, God [Adonai Yahweh], what will you give me, since I am childless?" In another prayer Abraham's servant addresses God: "O LORD, God of my lord Abraham, please grant me success today" (Gen. 24:12). The second word for "my lord" here is adoni which according to any standard Hebrew lexicon means "Lord," "Master," or "owner." Another example is found in David's speech to his men after he had cut off the hem of King Saul's robe and his conscience bothered him: "So he said to his men, far be it from me because of the Lord [here the word is Yahweh, Lord God] that I should do this thing to my lord [adoni].”

The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, page 157. states… "The form Adoni (‘my lord’), a royal title (Sam. 29:8), is to be carefully distinguished from the divine title Adonai (‘Lord’) used of Yahweh. Adonai the special plural form [the divine title] distinguishes it from adoni [with short vowel] = ‘my lords.’” Hastings Dictionary of the Bible, vol. 3, page 137. States… “lord in the Old Testament is used to translate Adonai when applied to the Divine Being. The [Hebrew] word… has a suffix [with a special pointing] presumably for the sake of distinction... between divine and human appellative.” Wigram, The Englishman’s Hebrew and Chaldee Concordance of the Old Testament, p. 22. states…
“The form ‘to my lord,’ I’adoni, is never used in the Old Testament as a divine reference… the general excepted fact is that the masoretic pointing distinguishes divine reference (adonai) from human references (adoni).”

“The Hebrew Adonai exclusively denotes the God of Israel. It is attested about 450 times in the Old Testament…Adoni [is] addressed to human beings (Gen 44:7; Num 32:25; 2 Kings 2:19, etc.). We have to assume that the word Adonai received it’s special form to distinguish it from the secular use of adon [i.e. adoni]. The reason why [God is addressed] as Adonai [with long vowel] instead of the normal adon, adoni or adonai [short vowel] may have been to distinguish Yahweh from other gods and from other human Lord's.” from Dictionary of deities and demons in the Bible, p. 531.

If David the Psalmist had expected the Messiah to be the Lord God he would not have used "my lord" (adoni), but the term used exclusively for the one God, Jehovah- Adonai. Unfortunately, though, many English translations which faithfully preserved this distinction elsewhere capitalize the second "lord" only in Psalms 110:1. This gives a misleading impression that the word is a divine title.

Occasionally, it will be objected that this distinction between Adonai and adoni was a late addition to the Hebrew text by the Mesorites around 600 to 700 AD and therefore is not reliable. This objection needs to be considered in the light of the fact that the Hebrew translators of the Septuagint (the LXX) around 250 B.C. recognize and carefully maintained this Hebrew distinction in their work. They never translated the second “lord” of Psalm 110:1 (“my lord,” kyrios mou) to mean the Deity. The first LORD of Psalm 110:1 (the LORD, Ho Kyrios) they always reserve for the one God, Jehovah.

Both the Pharisees and Jesus knew that this inspired verse was crucial in the understanding of the identity of the promised Messiah. Jesus quoted it to show the Messiah would be both the son (descendent) of King David and David's “lord” (see Matt. 22:41-46; Mark 12:35-37; Luke 20:41-44). This key verse, then, quoted more than any other in the New Testament, authorizes the title "lord" for Jesus. Failure to understand this distinction has led to the erroneous idea that whenever the New Testament calls Jesus "Lord" it means he is the Lord God of the Old Testament.

Paul
Shalom.

I believe that you are saying that Adonai is not used of Jesus, and that Adoni used of Jesus is my lord with a lower case l.

Shalom.

Jacob

keypurr

Sounds like you're a JW? What is your religion?

Nope, I'm not. But I respect them. I am a lone ranger. I gave up churches about thirty years ago.

I seek a church that teaches the testimony of Christ and the Commandments of God. I have yet to find one.

keypurr

Shalom.

The way that you have asked I want to say that only God is Deity. If Deity means God we use the word in reference to God.

Shalom.

Jacob

I see deity as God the most high and a god whom the most high gives it to. That would break it dow to God the Father and Jesus Christ who I see as "a" god.

Was not Moses considered as a god?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I see deity as God the most high and a god whom the most high gives it to. That would break it dow to God the Father and Jesus Christ who I see as "a" god.

Was not Moses considered as a god?

I do not think that it makes sense to follow what you are saying.

You are incorrect about Jesus and Moses.

Reactions: Lon

keypurr

Paul

Paul its great to have you back. Great post my friend.

keypurr

I do not think that it makes sense to follow what you are saying.

You are incorrect about Jesus and Moses.

I was trying to show how confusing scripture can be. There is a huge gap between God the most high and "a god" like Jesus and prophets were.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I was trying to show how confusing scripture can be. There is a huge gap between God the most high and "a god" like Jesus and prophets were.

I still do not see what you are saying. Jesus was not a god.

Reactions: Lon

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Echad (one)
It is customary for some Binitarians and most evangelical Trinitarians (especially Messianics) to propose that the Hebrew word for one, the numeral one (echad), is really "compound one."

"H259 אֶחָד 'echâd ekh-awd'
A numeral from H258; properly united." (Strong's)

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Compare

The Deity of Christ
The Deity of Jesus

Because Jesus is the Christ

Then, does Jesus the Christ have Deity? Is He Deity?

If Deity means God then is Jesus, Jesus Christ, Jesus the Christ, Deity, or, God?

The word Messiah and Christ mean the same thing. Anointed.

Yeshua HaMashiach means Jesus the Messiah, or, Jesus Christ.

Messiah is not the same as Deity.

And Deity is not royalty.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Deity meaning God
Deity meaning Son of God

Are both possible?

How is the word Deity used in relation to Jesus?

Have we exhausted all the possibilities? Is it right or correct to do so?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Was the Holy Spirit in Jesus? If so, how, in what way, is this true? Does it make Jesus God or Deity if so? Is Jesus Deity? What is meant by Jesus is Deity if we agree on that? What does Jesus is Deity mean? Jesus is the Son of God. Jesus is the only begotten Son of God. Is Jesus Deity? What does Deity mean? And, is it true?

WatchmanOnTheWall

My perception is quite clear friend. What you fail ti understand is the fact the logos, a spirit, spoke through Jesus. The logos was at the creation, Jesus was not. The logos had glory with the Father, the logos came down from above, the logos is the true son on man that has seen and been with the Father.

Christ taught us how to love from the heart and obey his Father. He gave us an understanding of his God. We can all be one with Christ and his Father in the spirit. God wants us to worship him in spirit. Christ came and glorified his Father, not himself. We must do the same.

repeat