Paul: "The Just (Justified) Shall Live By Faith" and not by rules, laws or religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TestedandTried

http://www.icogsfg.org/fc-heb-4-9.html

"There remains for the people of Yah a Sabbath keeping"

Sabbath keeping is a day of rest...the seventh day...not every day...

"for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from their works,just as God did from his"

How did Yah rest? After His work of six days...

That TGIF feeling is your body telling you to remember the Sabbath day...keep it holy...

God not only rested, but made the day holy...why make it holy due to resting? No, He made it holy in view of the Day of heaven where all are holy with Him in heaven.

TestedandTried

I understand that about Joshua and the promised land.

That is not what Hebrews 4:10 is about. All that hear the Gospel and cease from their own works and rest in the work of Christ will be saved. Those that continue to trust in their own works and do not enter into Christ rest will perish.

Hebrews 10:24-25:
And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, 25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

Notice, the above is another Hebrews passage. Now which Hebrews passage is obsolete, which one do you consider valid, in light of your interpretation of Hebrews 4:10.

Robert Pate

Banned
Hebrews 10:24-25:
And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, 25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

Notice, the above is another Hebrews passage. Now which Hebrews passage is obsolete, which one do you consider valid, in light of your interpretation of Hebrews 4:10.

It is only after you have entered into HIS rest that you will be able to live by the Spirit and not the law or religion. In the Gospel we have been justified, sanctified and redeemed, 1 Corinthians 1:30. We are perfect and complete "In Christ" Colossians 2:10. We are resting and trusting in what Christ has accomplished on our behalf. Your works will not and cannot save you, simply because God does not accept the works or the obedience of sinners, which you are one of. God only accepts the works and the obedience of Jesus Christ. We are accepted only in him.

clefty

God not only rested, but made the day holy...why make it holy due to resting? No, He made it holy in view of the Day of heaven where all are holy with Him in heaven.

Wait...wut?! Day of heaven???

He made the seventh day Holy for here on this planet...or does heaven have weekly cycles?

He made it a Holy time to memorialize the six days of creation just completed He rested from.

Now why would He need to sanctify it and make it holy? To remind Himself He dun did it? Or for everything else created to remember He did...

clefty

It is only after you have entered into HIS rest that you will be able to live by the Spirit and not the law or religion. In the Gospel we have been justified, sanctified and redeemed, 1 Corinthians 1:30. We are perfect and complete "In Christ" Colossians 2:10. We are resting and trusting in what Christ has accomplished on our behalf. Your works will not and cannot save you, simply because God does not accept the works or the obedience of sinners, which you are one of. God only accepts the works and the obedience of Jesus Christ. We are accepted only in him.

Seriously! How many time does this have to be repeated?

We do works AFTER we have faitH...as faith without works is dead...

We do works not to become saved but because we already are saved...we do His works...JUST LIKE His...His Way...

Therefore there remains for His people a Sabbath keeping...

Here is Paul in a critical meeting:

Acts 26:19 - "Therefore, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision,
20 - "but declared first to those in Damascus and in Jerusalem, and throughout all the region of Judea, and [then] to the Gentiles, that they should repent, turn to Elohim, and do works befitting repentance.

glorydaz

Appears you do not accept Scripture or misread it. And Hebrews 4:10 is speaking of heaven if you read the context.
You dismissed all the passages I posted.

There is no mention of heaven in Hebrews 4:10, nor is there any mention of heaven in the whole 4th chapter. We rest in Christ work and not our own. Those that have not entered into Christ work and rest are the lost, Hebrews 4:3.

If this is new to you then look at chapter 3 first...He speaks of God's Judgement Day and also the Day of Rest. Chapter 4 follows, but stands alone in this interpretation as well...
Hebrews 4:8-11:
For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken later about another day. 9 There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; 10 for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from their works,just as God did from his. 11 Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their example of disobedience.

How does Joshua enter the scenario you point out? He doesn't, he cannot. Jacob led Israel to the "Promised Land", Canaan, and the Lord would provide rest...earthly rest...this did not materialize b/c most were disobedient. Hebrews tells us God had far greater plans...Heavenly rest which only He, God, would provide.

I hope my view is clear enough to be properly understood.
Again, Joshua was an archtype of Christ and shows us in earthly terms what God will do in spiritual terms.

Robert is correct, and you are in error. It's Christ's work on the Cross that gives rest to those who believe. That day of Salvation is the "another day" spoken of for the people of God.

His "rest" is not in heaven, it's in His salvation.

2 Corinthians 6:2 (For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)

Isaiah 49:8
8 Thus saith the Lord, In an acceptable time have I heard thee, and in a day of salvation have I helped thee: and I will preserve thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, to establish the earth, to cause to inherit the desolate heritages;​

TestedandTried

Day of Judgement/Day of Heaven. I put it this way only b/c the discussion here revolves around the rewards of Judgement day which is heaven for all believers...eternal rest.
The number 7 is a number meaning completion, fulfillment one gets this clue from creation which is penned here again in Hebrews and with reason. Hebrews points to the symbolism or parallelism between God resting on the 7th day which later became the Sabbath for mankind and our final rest in heaven.
Hebrews 4:8-11:
For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken later about another day. 9 There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; 10 for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from their works,just as God did from his. 11 Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their example of disobedience.
The account of Joshua of course follows the commandment of Sabbath-keeping given to Moses. Joshua's rest was to be Canaan (the Promised Land). Our rest is eternal and is in heaven.
Hebrews 11:8-16:
By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going. 9 By faith he made his home in the promised land like a stranger in a foreign country; he lived in tents, as did Isaac and Jacob, who were heirs with him of the same promise. 10 For he was looking forward to the city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God. 11 And by faith even Sarah, who was past childbearing age, was enabled to bear children because she considered him faithful who had made the promise. 12 And so from this one man, and he as good as dead, came descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as countless as the sand on the seashore.
13 All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance, admitting that they were foreigners and strangers on earth. 14 People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own. 15 If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunity to return. 16 Instead, they were longing for a better country—a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them.

Same account...sooo beautiful.

clefty

It's Christ's work on the Cross that gives rest to those who believe. That day of Salvation is the "another day" spoken of for the people of God.
those who believe do have rest...and a seventh day one...given long before the work on the cross provided another rest...in fact this rest was given before the work on the cross was even necessary...

that is why that future coming day of rest is called “another day”

For His people there remains this day...a Sabbath day keeping...not rest every day

His "rest" is not in heaven, it's in His salvation.
it is there too...and in His memorial to creation and saving His people from Egypt/sin...a sort of trinity of rest

2 Corinthians 6:2 (For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)

Isaiah 49:8
8 Thus saith the Lord, In an acceptable time have I heard thee, and in a day of salvation have I helped thee: and I will preserve thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, to establish the earth, to cause to inherit the desolate heritages;​

The count of the week in Eden was not altered by sin...or even cursed by its Creator...and the new world will be Eden restored as before sin...

Is why Isaiah can say from new moon to new moon and Sabbath to Sabbath all will come to worship...

Robert Pate

Banned
In the Gospel, Jesus in our name and on our behalf offers to God the Father a life of perfect obedience according to his holy law, Matthew 5:18. In the Gospel, Jesus in our name and on our behalf atones for our sins and the sins of the whole world, 1 John 2:2. Because of the doing and the dying of Jesus, "We are complete in him" Colossians 2:10. We have ceased from our own works (religion) and have entered into HIS rest, Hebrews 4:10.

clefty

In the Gospel, Jesus in our name and on our behalf offers to God the Father a life of perfect obedience according to his holy law, Matthew 5:18. In the Gospel, Jesus in our name and on our behalf atones for our sins and the sins of the whole world, 1 John 2:2. Because of the doing and the dying of Jesus, "We are complete in him" Colossians 2:10. We have ceased from our own works (religion) and have entered into HIS rest, Hebrews 4:10.

Yup we are complete in Him...living His faith...following Him...thereby keeping the law...a side effect if you will...

The law remains as we establish it...and by it we are protected in Judgement day as that remains and needs the law...HalleluYah for the law of grace and adoption

Robert Pate

Banned
Yup we are complete in Him...living His faith...following Him...thereby keeping the law...a side effect if you will...

The law remains as we establish it...and by it we are protected in Judgement day as that remains and needs the law...HalleluYah for the law of grace and adoption

God sees us as perfect and complete in Christ, Colossians 2:10. No need to wear yourself out trying to be holy by trying to keep the law. God only accepts the righteousness of Christ, we are only accepted in him. Where there is law there is judgment and condemnation.

clefty

God sees us as perfect and complete in Christ, Colossians 2:10. No need to wear yourself out trying to be holy by trying to keep the law. God only accepts the righteousness of Christ, we are only accepted in him. Where there is law there is judgment and condemnation.

Yes we are complete in Christ...most of us wanted to make at least some changes in our lifestyles...I guess you didnt have too...you were already doing exactly as He did...

His yoke is easy...but still a yoke

Robert Pate

Banned
Yes we are complete in Christ...most of us wanted to make at least some changes in our lifestyles...I guess you didnt have too...you were already doing exactly as He did...

His yoke is easy...but still a yoke

It was the Holy Spirit that made the changes in my life. It was all of God, Ephesians 2:10.

Status
Not open for further replies.