Pastor Robert Jeffress Says Those Who Refuse to Vote in Presidential Election....

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Pastor Robert Jeffress Says Those Who Refuse to Vote in Presidential Election Looking to Feel 'Holier Than Others'

Pastor Robert Jeffress of the 11,000-member First Baptist Church in Dallas has said that Christians do not have the option of refusing to vote in the upcoming elections on November 8, and compared voting for Republican nominee Donald Trump to voting for other "imperfect" nominees in the past.

Jeffress, an early Trump supporter, said in an op-ed for Fox News that he understands the appeal of staying at home on November 8.

"Not voting allows Christians to avoid both having to make a difficult choice or defending an unpopular choice to disapproving friends or family members. And let's face it, playing the 'conscience card' allows someone to feel holier than other Christians who sully themselves by getting involved in the political process," he suggested.

The megachurch pastor argued that voting is a "God-given privilege and responsibility," however, and said that God expects believers to choose their own leaders.

"Every time we go into the voting booth we are choosing the moral and spiritual direction of our nation. That is a privilege and responsibility that should not be abdicated," he wrote.

The pastor stood by his defense of Trump, by pointing out that unlike Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, the GOP choice has vowed to nominate Supreme Court justices who will fight against abortion.

Jeffress suggested that religious freedom is also at stake in America's choice, and highlighted the trials of conservative business owners who have faced punishments for refusing to use their skills to support messages they disagree with, such as the acceptance of gay marriage.

"This war against religious liberty will only escalate under Hillary Clinton who is resolved to nominate Supreme Court justices, as well as dozens of federal judges with lifetime appointments, who embrace an expansionist view of the Constitution and will force the secular progressive agenda down the throats of Americans," he wrote.

Finally, the First Baptist Church pastor argued that whatever problems Christians have with Trump's personality, they are not new.

"Ronald Reagan was a known womanizer during his days in Hollywood and would be the first divorced president in history. Yet, in 1980 evangelicals overwhelming supported Reagan over a Baptist Sunday school teacher named Jimmy Carter who was faithfully married to one woman," Jeffress wrote.

He argued that evangelicals at the time were not supporting Reagan's womanizing, however, but were backing his policies.

"I've been amazed at the number of conservative Christians who have developed a case of selective amnesia when it comes to their support of previous candidates with imperfect pasts, whether it be Reagan, McCain, Bush, Gingrich, or a host of others," he continued.

"There are no perfect politicians — just as there are no perfect pastors or voters. We are all sinners in need of a Savior. But the fallibility of both candidates in this election — as in every election — is no excuse for not voting."

Jeffress has said on a number of occasions that when it comes to stopping Clinton from becoming president, Christians would be "fools" to turn down Trump.

"I believe any Christian who would sit at home and not vote for the Republican nominee … that person is being motivated by pride rather than principle and I think it would be a shame for people to allow Hillary Clinton four or eight years in the White House," he said in March.

Other prominent evangelicals, such as Russell Moore, president of the Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission, the public policy arm of the Southern Baptist Convention, have said that neither Clinton nor Trump offer a good option for Christians, however.

Moore said earlier this year that the two nominees represent "an embrace of the very kind of moral and cultural decadence that conservatives have been saying for a long time is the problem." He also warned that backing either option would lead to a "sexual revolutionary party that is hostile to everything that we [evangelicals] believe in."

Do you agree or disagree with this?

It's a good viewpoint, but it's not the only viewpoint. There are valid conscientious objections that, for the Christian, can reach into the Pauline area of what can be done in faith, and, as such, there are individual matters that are nobody else's business, between the individual and our Creator. So, good viewpoint, but not the only good viewpoint. A tangential thought, in the political arena, those of extreme and adament viewpoints, that paint everything with a broad brush, are extremists, and what's best does not always reside at any extreme. For instance, one was saying, "Let them eat cake!" (it was actually grass, not cake), and the other saying, "Off with their heads!" They were both very wrong.

Prayerfully do, or don't do, what you find peace with. We look to a temple not made with hands, and to eternity, in the first place. The Constitution has some good dope, but only the best meal you can get at MacDonald's: my politics is Jesus Christ, and Him on the throne. We therefore need to return to a monarchy, but, of course, that's not on the ballot. Cheeseburger anybody?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Cheeseburger anybody?

Patty-Melt.jpe

Gets my vote :)

The Berean

How many Republicans actually want to stop abortions? Since abortion became legal Republican presidents have held office for over 20 years combined. Yet, they did nothing to stop abortion. So what eactly does Trump think he can do to stop abortion that previous Republican presidents counldn't do?

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior

Voting for God-fearing men and women is a Christian duty.

Why and what is the basis for this thinking? Im curious to see scripture on it.
I don't think it could be found anywhere in Holy Scripture where God favors anarchy. That being said:
Here is a great article with numerous verses and passages talking about civil government and righteous leaders:

THE PURPOSE OF CIVIL GOVERNMENT

It is not difficult to determine from the Bible what God intends as the primary purpose for human government. Its immediate concern and function is the preservation of social order by restraining and punishing evil behavior and approving good behavior...
http://www.nmsciencefoundation.org/butler/2.htm

It's a good viewpoint, but it's not the only viewpoint. There are valid conscientious objections that, for the Christian, can reach into the Pauline area of what can be done in faith, and, as such, there are individual matters that are nobody else's business, between the individual and our Creator...

Ah yes, that "What consenting adults do in privacy..." lie.

You Libertarians really do amuse me mus...ahem...WLJ.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
How many Republicans actually want to stop abortions? Since abortion became legal Republican presidents have held office for over 20 years combined. Yet, they did nothing to stop abortion. So what eactly does Trump think he can do to stop abortion that previous Republican presidents counldn't do?

That and the fact that the justices who allowed abortion on demand to begin with were overwhelmingly republican appointed.

Republican-appointed Justices

(1) Chief Justice Warren Burger- Nixon-1969

The only Judges who dissented were William Rehnquist appointed by Reagan, and Byron White appointed by John F. Kennedy. The decision was a 7-2 majority in favor of it. The irony of it was the court HAD a majority of Republican appointed judges. Five Republican justices joined two Democrat Justices to legalize Abortion on Demand!

(2) William Brennan- Dwight Eisenhower-1956

(3) Potter Stewart- Eisenhower-1958

(4) Harry Blackmun- Nixon-1970

(5) Lewis Powell- Nixon-1972

Democrat-appointed Justices

(6) William Douglas- FDR-1939

(7) Thurgood Marshall- Lyndon Johnson-1967

Republican Appointed Supreme Court Justices Legalized Abortion

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Quote Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior

Voting for God-fearing men and women is a Christian duty.

I don't think it could be found anywhere in Holy Scripture where God favors anarchy. That being said:
Here is a great article with numerous verses and passages talking about civil government and righteous leaders:

THE PURPOSE OF CIVIL GOVERNMENT

It is not difficult to determine from the Bible what God intends as the primary purpose for human government. Its immediate concern and function is the preservation of social order by restraining and punishing evil behavior and approving good behavior...
http://www.nmsciencefoundation.org/butler/2.htm.

Thanks, i didn't think there was any scripture that said we have any duty to vote.

Do you agree or disagree that God raises up and brings low governments for His purposes including corrupt ones?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I wonder if pastor jeffress saw this and then made the above statements?

Viral Video Urges Christians to Vote Not Out of Fear of Clinton, But in Obedience to God

A viral video that has obtained nearly 400,000 views since Monday urges Christians not to make their voting decisions out of a fear of Hillary Clinton, but in obedience to God and His Word.

“As a Christian, I’ve been told this election that we should hold our noses and vote for the lesser of two evils,” Paul Hastings opens in the three-minute exhortation. “That our vote is justified because no man is perfect and that we’re simply electing a president, not a pastor. That we should vote for the party platform, not the candidate. That we should prevent Hillary from appointing the next Supreme Court justice no matter the cost.”

“But should I set aside my conscience and cast my vote based out of a fear of Hillary rather than my obedience to God?” Hastings asks. “Should I turn a blind eye to Trump’s incredibly public promotion of fornication, adultery, hateful rhetoric, sodomy, abortion and mockery of God? A man who says he has never needed to ask God’s forgiveness for anything…”

He then turns the tables and presents a different mindset for voters to consider.

“Is it possible that as Christians God has a higher calling on our lives than voting for either of two candidates who are so completely hostile to His commands—that God desires the trust of His people more than their strategies, that He desires our personal obedience more than He desires us to speculate about whoever the next Supreme Court justice will be?” Hastings asks.

“I believe in a God who is almighty—a God who very likely will allow either Trump or Hillary to become the next president. Yet, even then, He will still remain in control,” he exhorts. “No matter who sits in the White House, no matter who rules in the courthouse, a higher king should rule in our hearts.”

Hastings advises Christians, however, not to simply sit out the election because of their rejection of both candidates. He says that voting for other candidates on the ballot beside Clinton and Trump sends a message to the nation that Christians will not bow to ungodliness any longer.

“[W]e as Christians can send a message to America that enough is enough and that we will no longer accept candidates that are unacceptable,” Hastings states.

He points Christians to FaithTrumpsFear.com to consider the other options in their state.

“We are not called to choose the lesser of two evils; we are called to holiness,” Hastings declares in the video. “God and God alone will save our country and we should never cast a vote out of fear unless it’s the fear of God. Remember that when the people of God vote like they belong to the Kingdom of God, evil always loses.”

As previously reported, a recent study by Barna found that more than four out of ten evangelicals currently reject both Trump and Clinton.

“Although Trump has a huge lead over Clinton among evangelicals, the most noteworthy finding in this regard is that more than four out of ten evangelicals currently refuse to vote for either of those two candidates,” analyst George Barna said in an Oct. 10 post, outlining the results.

“Nearly three out of ten are presently undecided, making them the largest block of undecided votes still up for grabs,” he stated, and “[o]ne out of eight evangelicals plan to protest the quality of the major party candidates by voting for a third-party or independent candidate.”

Im one of the 4 out of 10, neither of them are getting my vote.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Thanks, i didn't think there was any scripture that said we have any duty to vote.

I notice that you didn't pull up any verses that embraced anarchy or leaders who are evil, so yes, Godly people have a responsibility to elect/choose Godly men and women as their leaders.

https://www.gotquestions.org/Christians-vote.html

Do you agree or disagree that God raises up and brings low governments for His purposes including corrupt ones?

Why would He do that? God destroys nations that don't honor His Word.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I notice that you didn't pull up any verses that embraced anarchy or leaders who are evil, so yes, Godly people have a responsibility to elect/choose Godly men and women as their leaders.

You kill a dog or cat everyday that you dont adopt one from a kill shelter.

Why would you do that?

See how that logic goes?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Let me know when you can back "you have a christian duty to vote" with scripture.

I guess you are unaware of those verses. He does it for judgment.

Daniel 2:21 "It is He who changes the times and the epochs; He removes kings and establishes kings; He gives wisdom to wise men And knowledge to men of understanding.

Romans 13:1 Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which is from God. The authorities that exist have been appointed by God.

Do you think this only applies to some?

Psalm 75:7 But God is the Judge; He puts down one and exalts another.

1 Samuel 2:7,8 The LORD makes poor, and makes rich: he brings low, and lifts up…

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
You kill a dog or cat everyday that you dont adopt one from a kill shelter.

Why would you do that?

See how that logic goes?

I'm not following. God (as seen in the links that I provided in two different posts) sets the standard for civil leaders and describes what people should demand in their leaders.

When those nations ignore His Word, there are dire consequences that follow.

Can you explain your question a bit more, i.e. "God raises up and brings low governments for His purposes including corrupt ones"?

musterion

Disagree, mainly with this:

"Every time we go into the voting booth we are choosing the moral and spiritual direction of our nation. That is a privilege and responsibility that should not be abdicated," he wrote.

This sounds to me like someone who just doesn't believe what Christ said through Paul would eventually happen. ACW is probably a fan, since Jeffress, Mormons, Catholics and ACW all believe if enough of them band together they can vote America into the Kingdom of God.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I'm not following. God (as seen in the links that I provided in two different posts) sets the standard for civil leaders and describes what people should demand in their leaders.

Can you explain your question a bit more, i.e. "God raises up and brings low governments for His purposes including corrupt ones"?

You already said it yourself. Its why we have the choices we have.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Let me know when you can back "you have a christian duty to vote" with scripture.

I guess you are unaware of those verses. He does it for judgment.

Daniel 2:21 "It is He who changes the times and the epochs; He removes kings and establishes kings; He gives wisdom to wise men And knowledge to men of understanding.

Romans 13:1 Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which is from God. The authorities that exist have been appointed by God.

Do you think this only applies to some?

Psalm 75:7 But God is the Judge; He puts down one and exalts another.

1 Samuel 2:7,8 The LORD makes poor, and makes rich: he brings low, and lifts up…

See my verses above, they need no explanation. He is control all the time and uses all to His purposes, including bringing low for judgment, and raising up even a corrupt government to accomplish such.