Pagans IV: Because This is a Weird Place

Caledvwlch

Ah man, that's bad. The disappointment of getting hamburger soup instead of chili is harsh.

Well, other than not being spicy, it was quite tasty. Ground beef, ground pork, ground italian sausage, peppers, red onion, beans, Guinness, dark chocolate, and a few hot peppers (apparently not enough).

rainee

Wow, I just can't help but join in on the subject of chili!
Town came closest to what I am familiar with - but didn't see Tam post? I've read almost all - but just couldn't take it any more!

There are some secret opinions about chili among some, I thought at first I daren't share them, but you all probably already know them.

First, Yanks may not really know what chili is - so how can they make it?

I have seen and eaten great taco stew, chicken and white bean wonderful almost certainly some kind of chili stuff, and various other really great recipes.
And like Town intimated - if you put in pork - the Old South may immediately think of BBQ Pits, etc.

Secondly, in the Old South there are really only two kinds of chili: Beans or No Beans.

Both are great, imho.
But Cowboy Chili - should have beef, yes?

Texan relatives of mine won't even let you have beans in it! (I know, these are hard core)

rainee

so start a thread

Chrys!

Why should I start a thread on chili when they have invested so many posts on chili here? Anyway what more can be said? Well wait...
Here below is to the great but old Texas chili contest joke in case I offended anyone. However, the contention about the origins of the first Frito Chili Pies is also still alive and well in some places. Food can be serious business, yes?

http://www.jokecrazy.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1322

Caledvwlch

I'm still hoping somebody will give me some advice on how to make it spicy enough to scare away the neighborhood kids.

tumblr_m78waqJNkW1rxm6exo1_500.png

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Chrys!

Why should I start a thread on chili when they have invested so many posts on chili here? Anyway what more can be said?

my other found this texas chili recipe
but
only made it once
I was the only one who could eat it

three parts:

shredded beef in a red hot chili sauce
plain white rice
vinegar red beans

by mixing the rice with the beef
you had a little control over the heat
but
soon you would need relief
and
the vinegar beans provide that
it would sooth the mouth

still looking for that recipe

rainee

my other found this texas chili recipe
but
only made it once
I was the only one who could eat it

three parts:

shredded beef in a red hot chili sauce
plain white rice
vinegar red beans

by mixing the rice with the beef
you had a little control over the heat
but
soon you would need relief
and
the vinegar beans provide that
it would sooth the mouth

still looking for that recipe

Well, I might as well open myself up to ridicule now.
I usually eat the no beans chili with ketchup, cheese, not so much diced fresh onions as other family members on top, and all that piled on a scoop of white rice. So the recipe for the chili is very essential in that. It does have grease on the top edges before you stir it. sigh.

But there is some glorious chili with beans, I think they call it chuck-wagon chili or used to. Town's sounded like that.

Caledvwlch

Well, I might as well open myself up to ridicule now.
I usually eat the no beans chili with ketchup, cheese, not so much diced fresh onions as other family members on top, and all that piled on a scoop of white rice. So the recipe for the chili is very essential in that. It does have grease on the top edges before you stir it. sigh.

But there is some glorious chili with beans, I think they call it chuck-wagon chili or used to. Town's sounded like that.

No reason to ridicule someone for taste. Except maybe the ketchup thing. :chuckle: Just kidding, eat what you like.

Quincy

I'm still hoping somebody will give me some advice on how to make it spicy enough to scare away the neighborhood kids.

I've heard that sugar will neutralize anything spicy. So maybe skip the chocolate next time, unless you can get the ultra-bitter unsweetened kind and don't mind it.

Caledvwlch

I've heard that sugar will neutralize anything spicy. So maybe skip the chocolate next time, unless you can get the ultra-bitter unsweetened kind and don't mind it.

Yeah, I used the super-dark, 73% Cacao stuff that I probably wouldn't eat plain.

Caledvwlch

So weird how the frequency of my TOL posting is inversely proportional to the number of service groups with peak-hours downstream bandwidth contention I need to fix. :think: