Pagans IV: Because This is a Weird Place

Lon

He takes offence simply from an Atheist's mere existence unless you immediately claim to be less human than believers in his particular brand of superstition.

:idunno:
Well, if we are trying to promulgate the same said stereo-type, you are doing a GREAT job of that :up:

If you want to hold up the atheist cause, no problem but cheap shots in other threads are generally uncouth. Par?

My only point to make, rather than a retort, is that you display that you really do need a Savior (I needed one two, so perhaps we are good company for one another after all).

Again, have a thoughtful self-reflecting day and week, especially if you are celebrating Christ-mas with relatives and friends.

Quincy

What??? Turn in your minion card (see: sub paragraph 4 (c) "All such bowing, scraping, fawning and general lackying shall be the sole and singular province and property of said party of the first part, aka Town Heretic. Any use thereof without tacit approval by said Heretic shall constitute breach of agreement, divest said former minion of all titles and privileges and bring him or her subject to the forfeiture of all his or her wordy possessions.")

This reminds me, I only have about 70 more episodes of Poirot to watch before I finish the series :eek: .

Lon

And that's why I'm ignoring his most recent questions.
Caledvwlch said:
No offense intended. Just seems like you were trying to set me up to offend.

Thanks for that. I'll endeavor to not alienate. The difference is an important discussion and I tend to see this particular gap as large (which it is), but I don't think discussing that gap needs to alienate too far beyond what is viewed a needed discussion (not necessarily this thread).

:cheers: and again, thanks.

Caledvwlch

Thanks for that. I'll endeavor to not alienate. The difference is an important discussion and I tend to see this particular gap as large (which it is), but I don't think discussing that gap needs to alienate too far beyond what is viewed a needed discussion.

:cheers: and again, thanks.

:cheers:

Aimiel

I loved the nickname given to the nutcases on TOL in the OP: 'Wingnut Contingent.' Reminds me of a character on the radio here in Cincinnati back in the 70's: HC, the town dummy. He was so smart he thought that hotel rooms gave him monogramed water faucets. :rotfl:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What??? Turn in your minion card (see: sub paragraph 4 (c) "All such bowing, scraping, fawning and general lackying shall be the sole and singular province and property of said party of the first part, aka Town Heretic. Any use thereof without tacit approval by said Heretic shall constitute breach of agreement, divest said former minion of all titles and privileges and bring him or her subject to the forfeiture of all his or her wordy possessions.")

Jealous.

Lon

Okay, my weigh in...I think there's always the underlying philosophical truth and then there's the way we communicate it. When the latter fails to optimally advance the former I'd say the lesser is controlling the greater to the greater's disservice.

And for that reason I don't subscribe to the "tough love" approach of many and the founders here. I think human nature makes entrenchment and defense the more likely outcome, though no single approach is for every season.

As a rule then, I find love of the tenderer part a better advance. The good Samaritan over Job's friends, if you like.

Actually agreed. Perhaps even on TOL we should be overtly the latter, but when attacked, I do think an aggressive defense can be deemed noble.

That said, I'm not above reproach, when others think I've crossed the line AND I've appreciated those call-backs. So again, this is appreciated and taken to heart.

-in Him, Lon

gcthomas

Again, have a thoughtful self-reflecting day and week,

especially if you are celebrating Christ-mas with relatives and friends.

I am. Christmas is really seen here as a chance to slow down in the miserable weather and gloom of midwinter and spend time cheering up with the family, eating traditional midwinter foods and drinking plenty whilst watching movies with the children.

You enjoy yours. :up:

Last edited:

PureX

Actually agreed. Perhaps even on TOL we should be overtly the latter, but when attacked, I do think an aggressive defense can be deemed noble.
The fact that you perceive yourself to be "attacked" tells me that you have a very weak grasp of the reality of faith, and of the nature of these discussions/debates.

No one can attack your faith. They can only disagree with your beliefs, and tell you why. If you perceive this as an "attack", then I would say your beliefs NEED some serious reassessing. Which is true of most of our beliefs most of the time. And if we wish to become honest and wise human beings, we would welcome these challenges to our beliefs.

Faith is trusting in this process, because we know our beliefs are human-made and self-promoting, and prone to bias and ignorance. Faith is the reason we can welcome the challenges that threaten our current beliefs.

Lon

I am. Christmas is really seen here as a chance to slow down in the miserable weather and gloom of midwinter and spend time cheering up with the family, eating traditional midwinter foods and drinking plenty whilst watching movies with the children.

You enjoy yours. :up:
Thank you. :cheers:

Lon

The fact that you perceive yourself to be "attacked" tells me that you have a very weak grasp of the reality of faith, and of the nature of these discussions/debates.

No one can attack your faith. They can only disagree with your beliefs, and tell you why. If you perceive this as an "attack", then I would say your beliefs NEED some serious reassessing. Which is true of most of our beliefs most of the time. And if we wish to become honest and wise human beings, we would welcome these challenges to our beliefs.

Faith is trusting in this process, because we know our beliefs are human-made and self-promoting, and prone to bias and ignorance. Faith is the reason we can welcome the challenges that threaten our current beliefs.
Faith? I didn't say 'faith.' Other than that, I likely agree with most of this, as regards faith. :up:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:Clete: You're well on your way to miming around here. :eek:

You're well on your way to miming around here!
picture.php

Caledvwlch

It's another free food day at the office. I wore a sports coat for the occasion. You know, so I could get gravy on it.

Caledvwlch

By the way, I do not envy the moderators of this forum. Have you ever looked through the "reports" in "The Woodshed"?