Pagans IV: Because This is a Weird Place

Lon

Yes, I can agree with that. But don't pretend it's just the atheists. I think the blame for unpleasantness, rudeness and plain old jerkishness can be spread around all over the place.
I agree, but the atheist plays a dirty repertoire, that is akin to insulting one's mother, father, and grandparents, when they go after God, and they know it. Thankfully, every jerk-Christian has been banned (or some appropriate infraction) for doing so to another's family. I don't 'think' there are that many Christians that stoop that low. There have been many atheists who have. "Your imaginary friend" is highly and purposefully offensive. It is every bit as harsh as saying "your mom is a nothing" to me as well. The offense is the same.

Caledvwlch

I agree, but the atheist plays a dirty repertoire, that is akin to insulting one's mother, father, and grandparents, when they go after God, and they know it. Thankfully, ever jerk-Christian has been banned for doing so to another's family. I don't 'think' there are that many Christians that stoop that low. There have been many atheists who have. "Your imaginary friend" is highly and purposefully offensive. It is every bit as harsh as saying "your mom is a nothing" to me as well. The offense is the same.

Why don't you just go ahead and let God be offended for himself. If he's there I doubt he needs your help in that regard.

Lon

No. I won't be PMing for backup. That's not the point. My point is that you and many others overlook what your own brethren say, and you've traded in your own truth by doing so. You and your brethren completely ignore your calling to remember that the greatest of theological virtues is love - in order to serve your own pride and your own ego. I'm calling it straight, exactly how I see it. I know you can't see it yourself.
:nono: My recourse is to PM them. Shoot Anna, I've given you pos reps when some of it has happened. I don't know why you don't remember that. I've also made reports or added to them when I've noticed. Ask Delmar. I've been pretty good about PMing him on top of reporting or calling out bad behavior but I'm not a mod so am not looking, nor able really, to catch all of it.

Lon

Why don't you just go ahead and let God be offended for himself. If he's there I doubt he needs your help in that regard.
My 'dad' can defend himself too (he's dead). That doesn't stop me from being offended when someone purposefully disparages him. What kind of son would I be if that didn't upset me? There is no difference here. I'm not sure you get the offense or you don't care? Either way, it isn't a 'nice' thing to do and is pretty lousy and offensive. Ignorance is forgivable the first time. After that it is purposeful, mean, lousy.

Caledvwlch

My 'dad' can defend himself too (he's dead). That doesn't stop me from being offended when someone purposefully disparages him. What kind of son would I be if that didn't upset me? There is no difference here. I'm not sure you get the offense or you don't care? Either way, it isn't a 'nice' thing to do and is pretty lousy and offensive. Ignorance is forgivable the first time. After that it is purposeful, mean, lousy.

I think your perceived offense is just a bit over-done. You're the one who insists that my atheism is something that it is not ("purposeful disparagement").

Lon

I think your perceived offense is just a bit over-done. You're the one who insists that my atheism is something that it is not ("purposeful disparagement").
:nono: or I wouldn't be talking to you. If you have a 'perceived' offense, I'd appreciate a PM or some other way of saying "this is an offense" but personal offenses tend to get shuffled on TOL and in real life. I mean, if you call me a name, I might get offended, but I tend to just defend at that point. Going after something someone cares deeply about is much more than a perceived offense. I can see that you don't 'get' this, but my God is just and more important to me than family. You can't get a free pass on attacking any of them and should understand why it is more than a slight and is highly offensive. God is a "Being." You can go after my religion or other 'things' without this offense but should be careful and at least acknowledge, for us, it is not a mere slight nor merely a perceived offense. It is real and personal.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Those things certainly go a long way.

But for the record, I'm not a pagan either. Don't pagans worship stuff?

Well one of the definitions is ...

one who has little or no religion and who delights in sensual pleasures and material goods : an irreligious or hedonistic person

I guess for that part, I fall into the no religion and delights in material goods. I love my home, all of the things in it and love to share it with my children, mother and grandson. And pets. Can't forget them.

Then again, being that my beliefs are kind of all over the place, I am thinking I might need my own label. :chuckle:

Caledvwlch

Well one of the definitions is ...

one who has little or no religion and who delights in sensual pleasures and material goods : an irreligious or hedonistic person

I guess for that part, I fall into the no religion and delights in material goods. I love my home, all of the things in it and love to share it with my children, mother and grandson. And pets. Can't forget them.

Then again, being that my beliefs are kind of all over the place, I am thinking I might need my own label. :chuckle:

Oh. Maybe I am a pagan. This is confusing. :chuckle:

Lon

And you wonder why I'm an atheist!
:nono: Only someone who believes EVERYTHING (including HIS children that HE has made) is made and given by God would have spent this kind of time for this to make genuine and reasonable sense. To someone who rejects Him or 'thinks' his/her children are his own as if they could somehow be a possession, yes, I'd see why this would be foreign to you.

You CAN'T own your kids.

It is simply the perspective of a person who knows he is owned and that the whole universe belongs to somebody else. I am a creature, not a Creator.

Regardless, your personal 'feelings' and 'reaction' do not warrant or excuse atheism. If they did, such is essentially admitting their is a God intellectually, but refusing to believe emotionally. That wouldn't really be 'atheism.'

Caledvwlch

:nono: Only someone who believes EVERYTHING (including HIS children that HE has made) is made and given by God would have spent this kind of time for this to make genuine and reasonable sense. To someone who rejects Him or 'thinks' his/her children are his own as if they could somehow be a possession, yes, I'd see why this would be foreign to you.

You CAN'T own your kids. It is simply the perspective of a person who knows he is owned and that the whole universe belongs to somebody else. I am a creature, not a Creator.

I'm starting to see how an atheist might get exasperated talking to you and say something you would deem offensive. I never said anything about owning kids. I implied that it was ludicrous for religion to be more important than family. And I stand by that implication.

Regardless, your personal 'feelings' and 'reaction' do not warrant or excuse atheism. If they did, such is essentially admitting their is a God intellectually, but refusing to believe emotionally. That wouldn't really be 'atheism.'

This is complete gibberish, which is unfortunate, because even though I disagree with a lot of what you say, at least it's usually internally consistent.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
: I can see that you don't 'get' this, but my God is just and more important to me than family.

Amen, His not being the most important part of our lives, is why and where our families fall apart, and the state of families these days shows it well.

Lon

I'm starting to see how an atheist might get exasperated talking to you and say something you would deem offensive. I never said anything about owning kids. I implied that it was ludicrous for religion to be more important than family. And I stand by that implication.
Let me try it another way: Which do you love more, your whole family or just one of your daughters or sons? I believe your answer will settle and clear this up.

Lon

Hopefully this will make internal rational sense to you in a moment.
An emote. There is no 'reason' you said this but an 'emotion' why you said this. It was an aversion you didn't understand and over reacted to, but I believe you have some common ground to grasp AND appreciate what I said. (dealing with that separately just above because this part needs to backtrack).
Perhaps we are different here, but 'if' I were atheist, it would be for 'rational' reasons. You just said:
Which is an 'emotional' response, rather than a 'reasoned' response.
This is complete gibberish, which is unfortunate, because even though I disagree with a lot of what you say, at least it's usually internally consistent.

Hopefully it isn't any longer.

FellowServant

DMV Princess
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yuengling please . And a plate of bacon. Make it a half plate of bacon.. I'm eating healthy.

:plain: