OSAS

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
OSAS also has nothing to do with the doctrine of the Trinity, Town, and certainly not your twisted version of it.

We are morally obligated not only to read Scripture carefully, but also to assemble its truths, to make good and necessary deductions from scriptural truth to edify God's people, and to array those truths against unbelief. When the Triune personhood of God is given its proper place the several aspects of biblical soteriology fit together “hand in glove” and form a glorious and harmonious whole.

Accordingly, our perseverance has everything to do with the Triune Godhead.

If the Trinity is unknown/denied, the principal foundations of our faith and comfort are also unknown. If we don't know that the Father is God, we won't know that we are sons of God; if we don't know that the Son is God, we won't be able to know the depths of God's love; if we don't know that the Spirit is God, we won't be able to give ourselves up to his direction.

Without God the Father we have no one who made it so. Without God the Son we have no surety declaring on our behalf before He who made it so. Without God the Holy Spirit, we have no one who will direct the paths of our feet in our walk of faith.

AMR

dialm

BANNED
Banned
We are morally obligated not only to read Scripture carefully, but also to assemble its truths, to make good and necessary deductions from scriptural truth to edify God's people, and to array those truths against unbelief. When the Triune personhood of God is given its proper place the several aspects of biblical soteriology fit together “hand in glove” and form a glorious and harmonious whole.

If the Trinity is unknown/denied, the principal foundations of our faith and comfort are also unknown. If we don't know that the Father is God, we won't know that we are sons of God; if we don't know that the Son is God, we won't be able to know the depths of God's love; if we don't know that the Spirit is God, we won't be able to give myself up to his direction.

Without God the Father we have no one who made it so. Without God the Son we have no surety declaring on our behalf before He who made it so. Without God the Holy Spirit, we have no one who will direct the paths of our feet in our walk of faith.

AMR

I like this posting.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

If the Trinity is unknown/denied, the principal foundations of our faith and comfort are also unknown. If we don't know that the Father is God, we won't know that we are sons of God; if we don't know that the Son is God, we won't be able to know the depths of God's love; if we don't know that the Spirit is God, we won't be able to give ourselves up to his direction.

AMR
I like this posting.
It's a good post. I was wondering why all the firemen around here were letting me try to put one out with my rake and flip-flops. :eek:

Last edited:

IMJerusha

I wasn't disagreeing with Jesus. You missed the mark in your criticism. You might want to read the bit you responded to again...or you might not. Who really knows with you?

Let's see, I said, “You haven't paid much attention to the words of the Nicene Creed either, have you?”
You said, “The foundation being false the "either" can only be more of the same.”
To which I said, “Make up your mind; you're either for Him or against Him. The foundation is Yeshua.”
Then you said, “If you're going to question anyone else's reading comprehension you'll need to do a little better with this sort of thing.”
So I said, “Will you take it straight from Yeshua? 'Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.' Matthew 12:30
You want to claim that the foundation of Christianity is the writings and understandings of man as opposed to the Words of God and of Yeshua. That's just messed up. I don't think I can get any more :plain: than that!”
And you posted this, “I wasn't disagreeing with Jesus. You missed the mark in your criticism. You might want to read the bit you responded to again...or you might not. Who really knows with you?”

So let me recap. When I posted that you haven't paid much attention to the words of the Nicene Creed either, the “either” I was referring to was Yeshua's own words. You claim both His Word and the words of the Nicene Creed to be false so I reminded you that He is our only foundation. (I'd already explained the words of the Nicene Creed to you; you know, God OF God, very God OF very God) When you told me I'd need to do better I just couldn't think of anything better than Yeshua's own Words and I can't figure out how you could have possibly posted that you weren't disagreeing with Yeshua when, in truth, that is exactly what you were doing.

No, though Christ never literally penned anything that we know of, leaving that to the men who knew and loved him. Paul spoke to a great deal of what Christ/God had to say about Himself. How are you with Paul, I wonder. I know how meshak is...or rather isn't.

No deflection here. :rolleyes: When you declare, like so many before you have, that acceptance of your flavor of the doctrine of the Trinity is a requirement to be a member of the Body of Yeshua and the words of a doctrine take precedence over the Words of God and Yeshua, you're off base. You're scattering as opposed to gathering. I take no issue with Paul, as you well know, other than the same issue Peter took with him.

:plain: Oh, I think you came in pretty much as fobbed off as a person could be and it's been downhill ever since.

I am under no delusion that you pay much heed to me and if you don't wish me to question your reading comprehension you shouldn't make statements like this.

I've also posted a bit of corroboration in relation to your odd notion that I'm reading in something new. If you look at my last you'll see the orthodoxy of Christendom on display, from its earliest incarnation to the agreement of newer, vital branches of the Christian faith.

When you declare that Yeshua IS God as in He is the Father, you've read in something new because the Nicene Creed makes no declaration to that effect and why, when Yeshua never stated such, would you defer to any who make that claim and extol them as vital? One can not have an understanding of the Trinity without having an understanding of the relationship between Yeshua and the Father and you seem to dismiss that relationship, ascribing all power and glory to the Son as opposed to the Father. You don't seem to understand the proclivity of this twist of the doctrine of the Trinity to destroy the Headship. It's subtle...but it's there!

What are you, JW?
More reason to question your reading comprehension.

You're confused on the roles vs nature business. It happens.

No, I'm not. I'm bent on clinging to God's Word as opposed to man's.

Again, I can refer you to the orthodoxy, complete with scriptural support.

I've already posted what Scripture tells us is the orthodoxy of the Faith, Town. There's nothing better than Yeshua.

When I pray to God I'm speaking to God. That's the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. They're one, so this isn't you vs me, it's you vs the overwhelming belief of Christendom and scripture as read by it and examined by the Church Fathers.

When you pray to God, you are praying to the Father and because you pray in Yeshua's Name, He will accept your praises and grant your petitions if they are His Will. Yes, they are One but They are Three.

So you say. But they rightly knew that only God can forgive sin, which is one thing they would hold and use against Jesus.

33 The Jews answered Him, saying, “For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy, and because You, being a Man, make Yourself God.” John 10:33​

20 When He saw their faith, He said to him, “Man, your sins are forgiven you.” 21 And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, “Who is this who speaks blasphemies? Who can forgive sins but God alone?” Luke 5:20,21​

As to what Jesus said of himself:

58 Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.”

59 Then they took up stones to throw at Him; but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple,[a] going through the midst of them, and so passed by. John 8:58-59​

Again, John 14:10 "Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work." Yeshua was clearly stating that He is not God, the Father.

No one has said Jesus called himself the Father. No one has said he called himself the Holy Spirit. So that's deceptive of you, your ongoing attempt that wraps itself around an assumption that the Father and Son and Spirit aren't coeternal and of one substance, literally one being in three persons.

What is deceptive is stating that Yeshua is God without explaining the relationship between the Father and Yeshua. What is deceptive is declaring that belief in the doctrine of the Trinity and standing on that is what makes one a Christian when the Truth is that it is belief in God and Yeshua that makes one a Christian. What is deceptive are your constant misrepresentations of my words as I have never declared that the Father is not eternal, I have never declared that God's Son is not eternal and of One substance with the Father, I have never declared that Yeshua is not in the Father as the Father is in Him. I have declared the correct doctrine of the Trinity as explained by Yeshua Himself, exposed the false twist on the doctrine and the hooey arrogant snobbery of some Christians.

If you preach another gospel you're to be opposed, because you lead men to sin and to death. It isn't my salvation I'm concerned over.

Go posture someplace else! Salvation has nothing to do with belief in the doctrine of the Trinity but rather with faith in God and Yeshua, His Son. A false gospel is a claim that something/someone other than Yeshua is the way to life with God when Yeshua said "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

I don't recall tying them together, except that I've spoken about the latter in a thread ostensibly about the former, though I've spoken to that too.

I didn't say you did, only that you are stepping all over the point of this thread which is the discussion of OSAS. You don't like it when folks mess up your threads, do you?

I don't care if you agree with me about OSAS,

Wundebar!

though some will take issue with me on it, argue that if you don't believe in assurance then you believe in the work you do, in some sense, to save you. If that's the case then you're following another false gospel.

My understanding on the point is that anyone who believes their salvation secure seeks God and His pleasure not from obedience in fear of punishment but out of gratitude and a love for the root of their own unmerited salvation and in hope that God will use their witness to draw others to Him. That Him being the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

And this is mine: “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned." John 15:1-6 In addition to this: "Therefore, dear friends, since you have been forewarned, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of the lawless and fall from your secure position." 2 Peter 3:17

IMJerusha

AMR

You're not giving yourself up to God's direction right now!

“All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

That's our obligation, not treating the Body of Yeshua like some sort of club wherein all its members must believe additional stuff like man's interpretations. The Pharisees did that and Yeshua stated they made men twice as fit for hell. I don't think it's a smart idea to try to do the same thing. Can we not have confidence in the Ruach to lead people in the way God desires them to go or is that too much like faith for you, "Chaplain?" Can God not make Himself known to us without the doctrine of the Trinity? Can the Comforter not speak to us without our knowledge and permission? Since when is all power and glory ascribed to the doctrines of men?

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Let's see, I said, “You haven't paid much attention to the words of the Nicene Creed either, have you?”
You said, “The foundation being false the "either" can only be more of the same.”
You hadn't made the first charge and you were already onto the second, so no either. I know what I wrote and what you tried to turn it to and I resisted.

You want to claim that the foundation of Christianity is the writings and understandings of man as opposed to the Words of God
What do you imagine yourself to be other than a person reading the word and understanding it as best you can? There is a reason the church was given leaders and wise counsel. There's a reason why Paul had to go back to churches even so and correct what were doubtless well intentioned heresies. And the Body has seen its share.

Rest on men? No, rather I note that Christendom, comprised of men and women of profound faith, are settled from Catholic to Protestant to Eastern Orthodox on the Trinity and the question of who and what Jesus lay claim to and remains. And what I have said is simply this: Jesus is God, fully God, as is the Father, as is the Holy Ghost.

If you believe that we have no quarrel. If you don't you quarrel with Christendom. The mystery of the Trinity is profound and the relationship within the Trinity is the subject of profound discourse. But the truth at the heart of it, which I have proclaimed and proclaim, is simple.

Now the question of salvation in relation to a passage used early in this conversation is important also. So many will say "Lord, Lord" and be rejected. People have struggled with that for a very long time. I've watched it being used by people like meshak to condemn most of the mainstream church and to justify their judgments on those churches.

What I have said of the Trinity in relation to salvation is also simple: you cannot reduce the name of Jesus to incantation and magic. You cannot merely speak a sound and expect the sound to save you. God saves you. And Jesus is God. To misapprehend that is to misapprehend the truth. To speak contrary to that is to preach a false and other gospel.

If you do not do those things or deny the essential nature of God then you have no quarrel with me, with Christendom or with God. If you do then you're a heretic and God help you.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You're letting our difference interfere with your perception. AMR met you soberly and without rancor. He offered you no insult or injury and spoke directly to a point. And you answered him?
You're not giving yourself up to God's direction right now!
As the judge of his actions. Did he judge you? No, he answered you.

“All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
Nothing in what he said runs contrary to this. In the name of what? The Trinity. God.

That's our obligation, not treating the Body of Yeshua like some sort of club wherein all its members must believe additional stuff like man's interpretations.
That's belittling and unfair, given you simply have different rules for your own club, one that allows you to judge and belittle him. There were rules in your own quote of scripture.

The Pharisees did that and Yeshua stated they made men twice as fit for hell.
And to compare him to the Pharisees for his trouble and offer a judgement that holds a threat.

I don't think it's a smart idea to try to do the same thing.
In case he missed the inference.

Can we not have confidence in the Ruach to lead people in the way God desires them to go or is that too much like faith for you, "Chaplain?"
Condescension too...and for those who wonder Rauch is her way of referencing the Holy Spirit, which I imagine would be clearer for most people.

Can God not make Himself known to us without the doctrine of the Trinity?
Baptize how again?

Since when is all power and glory ascribed to the doctrines of men?
Your doctrine is a doctrine of man in the same sense, or do you feel that you have been given a higher understanding than others who love and serve God, reading His word?

IMJerusha

You hadn't made the first charge and you were already onto the second, so no either. I know what I wrote and what you tried to turn it to and I resisted.

Wrong. My first charge was your failure to believe Yeshua's Words.

What do you imagine yourself to be other than a person reading the word and understanding it as best you can?

I imagine myself to be a woman of faith completely reliant upon the knowledge and wisdom of my Head. Heaven forbid I should share it with you? Nah! Quite the opposite if Ezekiel 3:20 is to be believed.

There is a reason the church was given leaders and wise counsel. There's a reason why Paul had to go back to churches even so and correct what were doubtless well intentioned heresies. And the Body has seen its share.

How is simple belief in Yeshua as the Son of God and Savior of the world a heresy?

Rest on men? No, rather I note that Christendom, comprised of men and women of profound faith, are settled from Catholic to Protestant to Eastern Orthodox on the Trinity and the question of who and what Jesus lay claim to and remains. And what I have said is simply this: Jesus is God, fully God, as is the Father, as is the Holy Ghost.

In other words, rest on the interpretations of men.

If you believe that we have no quarrel. If you don't you quarrel with Christendom.

Not all of Christendom holds with the doctrine of the Trinity, or your brand of the doctrine of the Trinity, Town, and you full well know that.

The mystery of the Trinity is profound and the relationship within the Trinity is the subject of profound discourse.

Finally some truth!

But the truth at the heart of it,

Is still a mystery to us.

which I have proclaimed and proclaim, is simple.

Let it be known then that you have the knowledge of the nature of God which you received from GotQuestions.org!

Now the question of salvation in relation to a passage used early in this conversation is important also. So many will say "Lord, Lord" and be rejected. People have struggled with that for a very long time. I've watched it being used by people like meshak to condemn most of the mainstream church and to justify their judgments on those churches.

What I have said of the Trinity in relation to salvation is also simple: you cannot reduce the name of Jesus to incantation and magic. You cannot merely speak a sound and expect the sound to save you. God saves you. And Jesus is God. To misapprehend that is to misapprehend the truth. To speak contrary to that is to preach a false and other gospel.

If you do not do those things or deny the essential nature of God then you have no quarrel with me, with Christendom or with God. If you do then you're a heretic and God help you.

And you want to know who I imagine myself to be? Like I said, you're a hoot! Man can not command God; put Him in their wee boxes with their doctrines. And no man can take away from Him what is His. I've seen you post that. It would be nice if you believed it but you want to use the doctrine of the Trinity to try to take away from Him what is His. No can do, Town!

IMJerusha

You're letting our difference interfere with your perception.

No, I'm not. BTW, that's Ruach, not Rauch. I'm chuckling but I can't say if the Ruach is. Good night...or should I say good morning!? :eek:

I leave you, however, with this word from Paul...you know, the guy you want to know how I do with. "And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God. For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling. And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: that your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God." 1 Corinthians 2:1-5

dialm

BANNED
Banned
It's a good post. I was wondering why all the firemen around here were letting me try to put one out with my rake and flip-flops. :eek:

AMR's post is very good. But there is a slight problem

The post is peace and order. This is right as rain except we are not at peace. We are at war. In the heat of battle there is no real order or peace. And to win the day we must use methods that we would never consider when at peace.

For example, my method is to excommunicate the Romans. Not from TOL. From their own church. If they keep harping that might just happen to them.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Wrong. My first charge was your failure to believe Yeshua's Words.
I had a longer response, but I don't want to keep doing this with you. I want, instead, to be as clear as I meant to be in my last response directly, but more than that I want to begin by clearing the deck and to let the bickering and accusatory fall by the wayside.... If I have in any way or at any point gotten your part wrong, I apologize. It isn't and was never my intent. I'm not entirely certain where you stand at all points, but I am certain where I stand at every and I can only control how clearly I state it and should likely have stuck to that and resisted any hostility in love and presented my objections in that same spirit. So for my faults and failures, again, I apologize.

My faith is simple. I have been saved by the completed work of Christ who drew me to him. I declare the truth of the Trinity and in doing so acknowledge Jesus as God, fully God and coeternal with the Father and Holy Spirit.

The best sum of my problem with those who don't was stated in my last and so I'll repeat that to cap my posit.

What I have said of the Trinity in relation to salvation is also simple: you (general you) cannot reduce the name of Jesus to incantation and magic. You cannot merely speak a sound and expect the sound to save you. God saves you. And Jesus is God. To misapprehend that is to misapprehend the truth. To speak contrary to that is to preach a false and other gospel.

If you do not do those things or deny the essential nature of God then you have no quarrel with me, whatever our differences else and God bless you.

Last edited:

IMJerusha

I had a longer response, but I don't want to keep doing this with you. I want, instead, to be as clear as I meant to be in my last response directly, but more than that I want to begin by clearing the deck and to let the bickering and accusatory fall by the wayside.... If I have in any way or at any point gotten your part wrong, I apologize. It isn't and was never my intent. I'm not entirely certain where you stand at all points, but I am certain where I stand at every and I can only control how clearly I state it and should likely have stuck to that and resisted any hostility in love and presented my objections in that same spirit. So for my faults and failures, again, I apologize.

My faith is simple. I have been saved by the completed work of Christ who drew me to him. I declare the truth of the Trinity and in doing so acknowledge Jesus as God, fully God and coeternal with the Father and Holy Spirit.

The best sum of my problem with those who don't was stated in my last and so I'll repeat that to cap my posit.

What I have said of the Trinity in relation to salvation is also simple: you (general you) cannot reduce the name of Jesus to incantation and magic. You cannot merely speak a sound and expect the sound to save you. God saves you. And Jesus is God. To misapprehend that is to misapprehend the truth. To speak contrary to that is to preach a false and other gospel.

If you do not do those things or deny the essential nature of God then you have no quarrel with me, whatever our differences else and God bless you.

Bluntly Town, I have never doubted that you are saved even when many others around here were screaming that you weren't and in case you haven't noticed, no one in this thread has even hinted in the remotest way that Yeshua's Name could be reduced to incantation and magic. Praying in the Name of Yeshua is one thing, obedience to Yeshua's command and whether our prayers are answered to our satisfaction or not, the Father is always glorified in the Son! Of that, I also have no doubt. John 14:13-14
Additionally, from Scriptures own pages comes the Truth as found in John 3:16 and Romans 10:9 and 1 Corinthians 12:3 which creates a problem for those who would uphold their doctrines over that Truth. We may not agree with non-trinitarians but that is just what it is, a disagreement within the Body over the nature of God, a subject we will all get the skinny on when we pass from this life to life with the Lord! None of us or those who went before us have ever been in the position to usurp God's authority and that includes Constantine or those who gathered at the Council at Constantinople.

Last edited:

IMJerusha

AMR's post is very good. But there is a slight problem

The post is peace and order. This is right as rain except we are not at peace. We are at war. In the heat of battle there is no real order or peace. And to win the day we must use methods that we would never consider when at peace.

For example, my method is to excommunicate the Romans. Not from TOL. From their own church. If they keep harping that might just happen to them.

"Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm." Ephesians 6:11-13

"This calls for patient endurance on the part of the people of God who keep his commands and remain faithful to Jesus." Revelation 14:12

I would say that what happens to "the Romans" or anyone else is a matter for God to decide.

dialm

BANNED
Banned
"Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm." Ephesians 6:11-13

"This calls for patient endurance on the part of the people of God who keep his commands and remain faithful to Jesus." Revelation 14:12

I would say that what happens to "the Romans" or anyone else is a matter for God to decide.

Certain things are forbidden to the Romans. If induced they will fall.

IMJerusha

Certain things are forbidden to the Romans. If induced they will fall.

Certain things are forbidden to all Christians, Dialm. "Therefore, dear friends, since you have been forewarned, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of the lawless and fall from your secure position." 2 Peter 3:17

dialm

BANNED
Banned
Certain things are forbidden to all Christians, Dialm. "Therefore, dear friends, since you have been forewarned, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of the lawless and fall from your secure position." 2 Peter 3:17

The Roman church in many ways is an empire. An empire that knows no national boundaries. As it is somewhat in a weakened state it operates in an opportunist fashion. It acts when the time is right. Not unilaterally.

Some Jewish factions have felt the roman heel for more than 2000 years. But maybe you are right? Maybe what Rome did to those people was God's

WILL

IMJerusha

The Roman church in many ways is an empire. An empire that knows no national boundaries. As it is somewhat in a weakened state it operates in an opportunist fashion. It acts when the time is right. Not unilaterally.

Some Jewish factions have felt the roman heel for more than 2000 years. But maybe you are right? Maybe what Rome did to those people was God's

WILL

"for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God," Romans 3:23 God doesn't do sin, only judges it.

dialm

BANNED
Banned
"for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God," Romans 3:23 God doesn't do sin, only judges it.

Maybe you don't like the way I'm putting it, (mud pie and all). Here is this better

That these visiting Romans would be converted and freed from Mystery Babylon is my prayer. Just don't ask me to get my hands dirty dear LORD.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Welcome to the Matrix.............

Welcome to the Matrix.............

The Roman church in many ways is an empire.

An 'empire' with socio-political powers that also affected and influenced what 'doctrines' would become the 'dogmas' of the then 'church-state' to unify the kingdom and assert a unified power-structure in place (as we see in the Athanasian Creed finally winning the Arian Controversy at a particular point in time, where such 'dogmas' and 'creeds' became immortalized, and believed in ever since). The RCC continues to have a strong influence in world affairs today in more ways than one.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Bluntly Town, I have never doubted that you are saved even when many others around here were screaming that you weren't and in case you haven't noticed, no one in this thread has even hinted in the remotest way that Yeshua's Name could be reduced to incantation and magic.
I don't believe many ever did. A couple of angry souls made the attempt, the sort who use the Bible or their faith mostly, at least publicly, as a weapon, an extension of malice, but I appreciate the sentiment in any event. I've been fairly clear in my faith since arriving, having given witness, both reasoning with and arguing against the anti-theists, and in relating my gratitude in faith for the salvation I neither merited nor will merit, no matter what the fruit.

On Jesus, I think there are a number of posters on TOL, not all of them professed to be outside of the Body, who don't believe in Jesus as he is, which is to say, as God. And they reduce the name of Jesus then to magic words, an incantation. It is a contrary gospel and cannot save anyone just as Christ absent his divinity could not save anyone any more than Moses could.

Additionally, from Scriptures own pages comes the Truth as found in John 3:16 and Romans 10:9 and 1 Corinthians 12:3 which creates a problem for those who would uphold their doctrines over that Truth.
Every truth found in the Bible is a doctrine, so that distinction doesn't distinguish in a way I find helpful, but as you noted, we aren't to baptize in the name of the Father only or the Son only or the Holy Spirit only, but in the name of God, who is and remains the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. And that's no problem at all.

We may not agree with non-trinitarians but that is just what it is, a disagreement within the Body over the nature of God, a subject we will all get the skinny on when we pass from this life to life with the Lord!
I was reading a unitarian a little bit ago who advanced this prior to his rejection of it:

"According to orthodox Trinitarian doctrine, if a person claims to be a Christian but does not believe in the Trinity, he is not saved." biblicalunitarian.com

And I think there's something a bit off about the premise and the way he's approaching it. No one is going to fully encompass an understanding of the Trinity just as surely as no one has actually said you have to in order to be saved. But you do have to understand who Jesus is to call upon him and to receive grace.

Jesus wasn't confused about his identity. I've set out some of it. John 8:24 is fairly clear, "Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins."

The "I am" isn't peculiar grammar. But if anyone reading misapprehends he returns to the pointed point by John 8:58

It is his identity that allows his sacrifice to stand against the sin of the world. So Jesus is rather directly telling those who desire relation and salvation that it begins in him and to understand who he is and how that is then accomplished.

:e4e: