"OSAS" people are not answering this question.

glorydaz

"But that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and its end eternal life." Romans 6:22

How are we set free? By Grace through faith and trust in Christ. Our hearts turned to Him. Now are we going to be slaves to Him for all He has done? For His love and joy and peace brought by His Spirit inside of us? Does He then force us too? We must respond with our lives, a slave to God.
We can choose to ignore His great gift. We have free will.

Instead of reading that verse as a fact, which it is, you read your own doubt into it. He doesn't force us to.....but he does give us the will (desire) and the power to do His good pleasure....through His Spirit which dwells in us. Give credit where credit is due....lest you are left to boast and boasting is excluded by the law of faith. Those are the facts....not man's pretending his own effort is what accomplishes anything good.

Philippians 2:13
For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.​

heir

TOL Subscriber
Paul's converts WERE baptized (Acts 16:14-15, 30-33). When teaching believers on the Spiritual truths underling the ceremony of Baptism (Colossians 2:12, Romans 6:4) the assumption was that they all in fact had BEEN baptized. Since they were converted through Paul's ministry he knew they had that common experience to drawn from.
The only baptism the Colossians were baptized with is the baptism into Christ's death (the same baptism as Romans 6:3-4 KJV which is the baptism which is "by one Spirit" 1 Corinthians 12:13 KJV, the "one baptism" of Ephesians 4:5 KJV) and it's not some "ceremony" performed by man or in water, but through the faith and the operation of God!

Colossians 2:11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:

Colossians 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

heir

TOL Subscriber
First off, unless you are born again and have the new life within you are still in the old life.
No, "First off", unless you have trusted the Lord after hearing and believing the word of truth, you are not saved and sealed not to mention not a new creature.
No one who is not born again is a part of Christ at all.
born again=resurrection as in Ezekiel 37.

They are not branches connected to the Vine or members connected to the Head.
We are not branches in need of abiding in the Vine, but members of His Body where Christ is the head. You shouldn't mix the two.

It is His life within that makes us into a New Creation and that can only happen when we are born of the Spirit.
Is anyone today "born of the Spirit"? If we were, we'd be able to do this:

John 3:8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

You need to be more careful at what you claim is true of you.

glorydaz

How are we in Christ and not in the flesh?
"For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body you will live."

Are you saying God forces this?
He does it at our surrender to Him.

Those who live according to the flesh are the unsaved....they do not have the Spirit of God dwelling in them. They are not new creatures created in Christ Jesus. Paul makes it clear where the distinction is. Those that do not have the Spirit in them and those who do. We are IN THE SPIRIT...not the flesh. Note also the verse you quote. IF BY THE SPIRIT you put to death the misdeeds of the body you will live. BY THE SPIRIT...it is how we are conformed into the image of the Son. We can't accomplish anything by our own efforts. If we could, Jesus need not have come and sent His Spirit to dwell in us.

My confidence certainly isn't in myself and my performance. He is faithful even when I fail. Thank the Lord for that blessed assurance.

Philippians 1:6
Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

1 Thessalonians 5:23-25
And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

God's Truth

Those who live according to the flesh are the unsaved....they do not have the Spirit of God dwelling in them.
Living according to the flesh is to do sinful things to please your body.

They are not new creatures created in Christ Jesus. Paul makes it clear where the distinction is. Those that do not have the Spirit in them and those who do. We are IN THE SPIRIT...not the flesh. Note also the verse you quote. IF BY THE SPIRIT you put to death the misdeeds of the body you will live.

The deeds of the flesh are sinful things. It is NOT sinful to obey Jesus.

BY THE SPIRIT...it is how we are conformed into the image of the Son. We can't accomplish anything by our own efforts. If we could, Jesus need not have come and sent His Spirit to dwell in us.

The Holy Spirit is the Helper to those who obeyed by repenting of their sins.

We are conformed to the image of His Son by obeying the Son.

My confidence certainly isn't in myself and my performance. He is faithful even when I fail. Thank the Lord for that blessed assurance.

Your confidence should be on every word of God.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
As soon as a person is born again they are a member of the Body of Christ. The term "Body of Christ" was coined by Paul but it is a synonym for the term "Church" which means the "citizenry" or the "called out ones." In the first analogy we are members of a physical body in the last we are members of a body politic. Both are analogies.

What are you getting at?

I was asking you, when and how you became a child of God? A personal Testimony?

God's Truth

No, "First off", unless you have trusted the Lord after hearing and believing the word of truth, you are not saved and sealed not to mention not a new creature. born again=resurrection as in Ezekiel 37.

Faith alone is dead and cannot save anyone. See James 2:14, 17, and 22.

We are not branches in need of abiding in the Vine, but members of His Body where Christ is the head. You shouldn't mix the two.

It is the same thing.

Matthew 26:26 While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, "Take and eat; this is my body."

1 Corinthians 10:16
Is not the cup of thanksgiving for which we give thanks a participation in the blood of Christ? And is not the bread that we break a participation in the body of Christ?

Jesus taught us about being a part of his body, and Paul taught that same thing too.

Is anyone today "born of the Spirit"? If we were, we'd be able to do this:

John 3:8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

You need to be more careful at what you claim is true of you.

Being born of the Spirit means you were washed of your sins by the Spirit and live your life through the Spirit and the Spirit living through you. We only do that by obeying.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"...[W]ho will be held accountable for the unforgiving sin even when the believer has not repented and asked for forgiveness"."
The sinner will be held accountable. All sin is on the sinner himself or on Jesus at the cross. Ga 6:8

Last edited:

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Faith alone is dead and cannot save anyone. See James 2:14, 17, and 22.

It is the same thing.

Matthew 26:26 While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, "Take and eat; this is my body."

1 Corinthians 10:16
Is not the cup of thanksgiving for which we give thanks a participation in the blood of Christ? And is not the bread that we break a participation in the body of Christ?

Jesus taught us about being a part of his body, and Paul taught that same thing too.

Being born of the Spirit means you were washed of your sins by the Spirit and live your life through the Spirit and the Spirit living through you. We only do that by obeying.

James was writing to the "Scattered Sheep of Israel." He wasn't
writing to the Body of Christ.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
hey i am new to this posting format and i am still figuring out how to find if a person is directly addressing you in a comment.(you might help me if you know... do we have any notifications about replies in the thread)

.......Rest of post content...

This post is waay too long.

Please do not make posts that are extremely long. Anything over 6 short paragraphs may be considered too long. Don't attempt to make your whole argument in one post. (Battle Royale's are exempt from this rule.)

Please do not copy and paste your previous papers and writings (like high school or college papers) without prior approval. TheologyOnLine is for dialogue.

God's Truth

The sinner will be held accountable. All sin is on the sinner himself or on Jesus at the cross. Ga 6:8

If a believer keeps on sinning they can fall into judgement.

Romans 2:3 So when you, a mere human being, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God’s judgment?

1 Corinthians 11:31 But if we were more discerning with regard to ourselves, we would not come under such judgment.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
hey i am new to this posting format and i am still figuring out how to find if a person is directly addressing you in a comment.(you might help me if you know... do we have any notifications about replies in the thread)

i answered this with my understanding of "LOST" is it the same as you interpret or is it something else.

way too long. nobody read that -

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And when we die, we will be forced back before him.... no difference. -- that is not implied in the story....

2 corinth : 5 :20 paul asks believers in corinth to reconcile .
the prodigal son's parable implies that one should come back to the father.

what i say is we need to keep hold of the ways of God for us to be in his presence after judgement.
matthew 22:14 --- "For many are called, but few are chosen."
The length of this post is better. Keep them this size or smaller. TOL is designed for dialog.