"OSAS" people are not answering this question.

turbosixx

There are obviously two different baptisms in scripture, one with water and one with Spirit.
Why would Paul say that there is one baptism in Eph 4:5?

That's what I would like those who push the one baptism to answer.

I believe it's water. When we are baptized the Spirit adds us. Baptism "with" the Holy Spirit was a special event and only happened twice. That is why water is the one because the HS baptism was used twice for a specific purpose.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Please explain how it is not?
It can't be. If it is, Paul could not have said that Christ sent him not to baptize, but to preach the gospel...

1 Corinthians 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

Also, the Lord Himself and the 12 in Matthew, Mark, Luke and John were preaching a gospel (the gospel of the kingdom) and it did not include the why of the cross!

The 12 didn't even know that Christ would die (Matthew 16:20-22 KJV), let alone for anyone's sins (1 Corinthians 2:6-8 KJV)!

turbosixx

You, as well as others of us, have an interpretation of Scripture.
None can say that they perfectly understand it.

I do my best to not interprete but let it tell me. If we are to understand truth we must use the words we are given and not rearrange, take out or add.

If there is one baptism, we need to let the bible tell us which on it is. For example,

Acts 11:15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them just as He did upon us at the beginning. 16 And I remembered the word of the Lord, how He used to say, 'John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.'

There is zero question that Peter is saying Cornelius was baptized "with" the Holy Spirit.

heir

TOL Subscriber
I know :)

If there is ONE baptism, which baptism is the one baptism Paul is talking about in the chapters leading up to this verse, water or Spirit?

1 Cor. 1:14 I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius,
That's water baptism before Christ sent Paul not to baptize!

turbosixx

It can't be. If it is, Paul could not have said that Christ sent him not to baptize, but to preach the gospel...

1 Corinthians 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

Also, the Lord Himself and the 12 in Matthew, Mark, Luke and John were preaching a gospel (the gospel of the kingdom) and it did not include the why of the cross!

The 12 didn't even know that Christ would die (Matthew 16:20-22 KJV), let alone for anyone's sins (1 Corinthians 2:6-8 KJV)!

If Christ did not send Paul to baptize, then why did he baptize? Did he disobey Christ? Look at the context.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I know :)

If there is ONE baptism, which baptism is the one baptism Paul is talking about in the chapters leading up to this verse, water or Spirit?

1 Cor. 1:14 I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius,

Is Paul describing a water baptism here or a Spirit baptism?

1 Cor. 10:1-2 For I do not want you to be unaware, brethren, that our fathers were all under the cloud and all passed through the sea; 2and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea;

i added verse 2 to 1 Cor 10:1

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
That's what I would like those who push the one baptism to answer.

I believe it's water. When we are baptized the Spirit adds us. Baptism "with" the Holy Spirit was a special event and only happened twice. That is why water is the one because the HS baptism was used twice for a specific purpose.

One can say that it's water, but that still leaves the fact that many Scriptures affirm that there is baptism of water and baptism of Spirit, not to mention fire.

If it only happened twice, what do you do with:

Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Eph 1:13 In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation--having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise,
Eph 1:14 who is given as a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of God's own possession, to the praise of His glory.

heir

TOL Subscriber
If there is one baptism, we need to let the bible tell us which on it is.
We know that Paul, when he speaks of one baptism, is not saying there has only ever been one. That would be ridiculous. And because we know that at some point, Paul was sent not to baptize, that there is still the baptism "by the Holy Spirit" which is a baptism into Christ's Body 1 Corinthians 12:13 KJV. It is a baptism into His death (Romans 6:3-4 KJV). It is the one baptism of Ephesians 4:5 KJV.

turbosixx

One can say that it's water, but that still leaves the fact that many Scriptures affirm that there is baptism of water and baptism of Spirit, not to mention fire.

If it only happened twice, what do you do with:

Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Eph 1:13 In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation--having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise,
Eph 1:14 who is given as a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of God's own possession, to the praise of His glory.

This is a good example of reading into scritpure. No where does it say "baptized by the Holy Spirit".

These passages agree with Acts 2. They were baptized then they received the Holy Spirit.

Acts 2:38 Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Those who believed were baptized and saved as Jesus said.
Acts 2:41 So then, those who had received his word were baptized; and that day there were added about three thousand souls.

And they were saved.
Acts 2:47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord was adding to their number day by day those who were being saved.

turbosixx

The post that you responded to here was about the fact that the gospel in Matthew is not the gospel of Christ, the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth. Look at the context.

The gospel in Mattew didn't have the blood of Christ behind it. That was looking forward. I will build my church. Will build indicates it hasn't been built. The church was purchased with his blood.
Acts 20:28....to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood.

After his D,B &R, the gospel had his blood behind it. Those who believed were saved.
Mark 16:15 And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. 16 He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.

glorydaz

No you have not. None of the scriptures you provided say baptized by the Holy Spirit.

Those who have trusted in the work of Christ on the cross alone for salvation have been baptized by the Holy Spirit into one body.

1Co 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Look really really closely and tell me that does not say baptized by the Holy Spirit. BY ONE SPIRIT ARE WE ALL BAPTIZED....

Shasta

Yep, you cover your bases pretty well....except you are not even close to covering Paul's gospel. Your one mention in Galatians has to do with loving our neighbor which comes right out of the OT, but says nothing about how people are saved today....or how we become members of the BODY of Christ. Truly you act as if Jesus had nothing more for us after He went to the cross. What did the RISEN LORD reveal to Paul? Do you really have a clue? It doesn't sound like it when I read your long-winded posts where you do not get the to heart of the matter. How are people saved TODAY? You won't know unless you know what the RISEN LORD revealed to Paul.

Paul told the Galatians "through love serve one another." This was based on the moral imperative that was the essence of all the law "14 For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF." (Galatians 5:13-14)

People are saved through faith in Jesus and His redemptive work on the cross. I am not opposing what Paul taught. I think Paul's teaching was a more thorough exposition of Jesus and what He did. I do not think He taught something different. You may complain about how much I say but I do not see you presenting cogent answers to the objections I raise.

glorydaz

Paul told the Galatians "through love serve one another." This was based on the moral imperative that was the essence of all the law "14 For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF." (Galatians 5:13-14)

People are saved through faith in Jesus and His redemptive work on the cross. I am not opposing what Paul taught. I think Paul's teaching was a more thorough exposition of Jesus and what He did. I do not think He taught something different. You may complain about how much I say but I do not see you presenting cogent answers to the objections I raise.

I can't help it if you don't understand what I'm saying. I do the best I can to make myself clear.

heir

TOL Subscriber
The gospel in Mattew didn't have the blood of Christ behind it. That was looking forward. I will build my church. Will build indicates it hasn't been built.
They were preaching the gospel of the kingdom for three years yet not gospel of Christ as the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth! And that church (the "My church") began with 12 and at Jerusalem (Luke 24:47 KJV, Acts 2), but that's not the church, the Body of Christ. And again, no gospel of Christ preached as the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth!