On Rape (the original statement)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
You are a moron.

that's an emotional response

If you rape someone, YOU are guilty of rape, not the one you raped.

not sure why you think i would argue against that :idunno:

yes, the rapist is responsible for his actions

but answer this: should a woman bear any responsibility for the choices she makes that put her in a position where rape is likely?

ok doser

This is the part that got tam's dander up:

...a woman's behavior can be partly responsible for the consequences that ensue...

tam - would you have any problem with that statement if we were talking about assault, or robbery?

if a woman went down to the Ferguson riots dressed in klan robes carrying a sign that said "Michael Brown Deserved To Be Shot" would she bear any responsibility for the beating she would get?

ok doser

I would ask this differently: What actions can a woman take to prevent sexual assault?

great question - i was leading towards this - campus is just full of posters and fliers and symposia and discussion groups about the current "rape crisis" (because one student was raped (maybe) a couple of weeks ago, and maybe another single incident happened last year) with tons of advice on how to prevent rape

now, if a female student decides to ignore that advice and puts herself in a situation where she is raped, does she bear any responsibility for her choice to ignore the warnings?

Quetzal

This is the part that got tam's dander up:

...a woman's behavior can be partly responsible for the consequences that ensue...

tam - would you have any problem with that statement if we were talking about assault, or robbery?

if a woman went down to the Ferguson riots dressed in klan robes carrying a sign that said "Michael Brown Deserved To Be Shot" would she bear any responsibility for the beating she would get?
:yellow: Changing of the topic, on the defense. Five yard penalty, repeat first down!

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

Okay. Yeah, I told you this thread wasn't about me. And it isn't, although you have a habit of trying to turn things that way.

I'll answer it, but I'm telling you now that I want to keep this focused on sod's statement, not my personal life. (I thought you didn't like it when people overshare?)

No, I haven't intentionally put myself in a situation where I might lose control, if you mean via drinking, drugs, etc. However. Not having put myself in such a situation didn't prevent bad things from happening to me, perpetrated by men I knew and from men I didn't know. And if you're smart, you won't push me on that.

ok doser

:yellow: Changing of the topic...

not at all Q, but i can see why it would make you uncomfortable

the topic is personal responsibility for one's actions and the consequences that can be expected to ensue from those actions

Quetzal

great question - i was leading towards this - campus is just full of posters and fliers and symposia and discussion groups about the current "rape crisis" (because a student was raped (maybe) a couple of weeks ago, and maybe another happened last year) with tons of advice on how to prevent rape

now, if a female student decides to ignore that advice and puts herself in a situation where she is raped, does she bear any responsibility for her choice to ignore the warnings?
I think this is a case by case topic, I do not think it is fair to try to take broad strokes with something like this. What things is she ignoring? Who else is involved? What other facts are relevant to the case study, etc.

Quetzal

not at all Q, but i can see why it would make you uncomfortable

the topic is personal responsibility for one's actions and the consequences that can be expected to ensue from those actions
Wrong, the topic is your statement specifically referring to rape. (This is what Tam is referring to.) Not robbery, not assault, rape. If you want to have a larger discussion about personal responsibility in the context of all crime, that's fine. But that is a different topic entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.