No Death Penalty. What Is Your Position?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

Arthur Brain

Was gonna ask you about something, but I need to ask you this first:

Do you think that marriages fall under the responsibility of the government?

How about another question relating. Should the government be involved where it comes to people who decide to live together without being married?

Arthur Brain

Well, by being distant, perhaps not abusive but cold and withholding warmth and not taking care of the needs of their partner. "Victim" was perhaps too strong a word but it's understandable that people can seek such elsewhere where they're not getting such from their partner.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
How about another question relating. Should the government be involved where it comes to people who decide to live together without being married?
How about instead of jumping ahead of the flow of conversation without establishing a foundation for it, you answer my question first. We can get to people shacking up with each other in a moment, but I'm focusing on marriage first.

Arthur Brain

How about instead of jumping ahead of the flow of conversation without establishing a foundation for it, you answer my question first. We can get to people shacking up with each other in a moment, but I'm focusing on marriage first.

Well, that's the way a convo like this flows sometimes so I've jumped even further ahead with my last to you...

Marriage is a contract between two people and nobody enters into such with the understanding that they or their spouse are in danger of being put to death if things don't work out and one of them has a fling.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well, by being distant, perhaps not abusive but cold and withholding warmth and not taking care of the needs of their partner. "Victim" was perhaps too strong a word but it's understandable that people can seek such elsewhere where they're not getting such from their partner.

Under such circumstances, the answer is to either work through the difficulties or go your own way. I personally believe the second choice is superior.

Arthur Brain

Under such circumstances, the answer is to either work through the difficulties or go your own way. I personally believe the second choice is superior.

Sometimes people can be trapped and "going their own way" isn't a realistic option. I'm just saying things aren't always clear cut.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I see no reason for marriage not to be a private affair. It wasn't till the late 1800's that the state got into the business of marriage.
What if people want to pervert it — say two homos want to call themselves "married"?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Sometimes people can be trapped and "going their own way" isn't a realistic option. I'm just saying things aren't always clear cut.

While it could be difficult, it really comes down to what one is willing to put up with in many cases.

Difficult (even if it means temporary housing in a shelter) is superior to the implied consent/approval of mistreatment by remaining with an adulterer/abuser.

Arthur Brain

While it could be difficult, it really comes down to what one is willing to put up with in many cases.

Difficult (even if it means temporary housing in a shelter) is superior to the implied consent/approval of mistreatment by remaining with an adulterer/abuser.

Well, I was more saying it was understandable that someone could seek relations elsewhere if they were trapped in a relationship with someone who was cold and unproviding rather than remain with a person who was cheating on them but it's not clear cut one way or another to me. Not all cases of adultery involve some person wilfully cheating on their partner without giving a damn. They sure don't deserve to be bludgeoned to death over it regardless.

drbrumley

And? What difference does it make to you? What impact does it have on your life?

I cannot for the life of me understand why so many people have an incurable itch to control other people’s lives.

No Stripe, I am not saying you have this itch. But there are many who do.

Status
Not open for further replies.