No Death Penalty. What Is Your Position?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Her accusers and "nope" in turn.

Who was left at the end of that passage besides Jesus and the woman?

well, let's take a look:

8 Jesus went unto the mount of Olives.

2 And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them.

3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst,

4 They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.

5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?

6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.

7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.

9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.

10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?

11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

there are two groups identified - "all the people" (which appears to include pharisees not involved with the taking of the woman) and "the scribes and pharisees" who brought the woman to Him

it was "the scribes and pharisees" to whom He spoke the words "He that is without sin among you"

it was the scribes and pharisees who were "they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last"

not the crowd of "all the people"

they're still there, hanging back - they are the "them" of John 8:12 "Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life."

Arthur Brain

well, let's take a look:

8 Jesus went unto the mount of Olives.

2 And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them.

3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst,

4 They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.

5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?

6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.

7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.

9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.

10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?

11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

there are two groups identified "all the people" which appears to include pharisees not involved with the taking of the woman and "the scribes and pharisees" who brought the woman

it was "the scribes and pharisees" to who He spoke the words "He that is without sin among you"

it was the scribes and pharisees who were "they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last"

not the crowd of "all the people"

they're still there, hanging back - they are the "them" of John 8:12 "Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life."

Ah, fair enough, it was just her accusers.

ok doser

That's between the parties concerned.

when a married woman commits adultery, the parties concerned include her, her husband, her children, her family and friends, her employer, her children's school - teachers, friends, other parents, and on and on

now double that by including everybody on the other side

you believe that society shouldn't play a role in controlling adultery

i believe that society has a vested interest in controlling adultery, that absent control of adultery, society pays an incredibly heavy price for not controlling adultery

ok doser

Ah, fair enough, it was just her accusers.

ok, so the context is that when Jesus spoke the words "He that is without sin among you", He was addressing the scribes and pharisees, who would not have recognized the concept of original sin and who would have rejected the accusation of any single sin except the one they were committing by violating Leviticus 20:10

Arthur Brain

when a married woman commits adultery, the parties concerned include her, her husband, her children, her family and friends, her employer, her children's school - teachers, friends, other parents, and on and on

i believe that society has a vested interest in controlling adultery, that absent control of adultery, society pays an incredibly heavy price for not controlling adultery

It's telling that you focus on a married woman and there's no real need for everybody on that list of yours to even be aware of it either. Still, let's run with it to some degree. Supposing her husband has become cold and distant to the point that she gives into some warmth with another man? What about couples who don't have children where the relationship has broken past the point of no return? Why would her employer need to know exactly? Why other parents? Her friends might have empathy for her, especially if she's in a marriage where they know she's not happy and besides gossip, what actual business is it of anyone else?

Arthur Brain

ok, so the context is that when Jesus spoke the words "He that is without sin among you", He was addressing the scribes and pharisees, who would not have recognized the concept of original sin and who would have rejected the accusation of any single sin except the one they were committing by violating Leviticus 20:10

So, how many of those 613 laws were you aware of before googling it as you didn't answer on the point previously? Otherwise, what a way to wrangle a verse that no biblical scholarship on the point endorses that I'm aware of.

drbrumley

Laurance Vance said:
The fact that throughout human history rulers and government bureaucrats have been nanny statists and puritanical busybodies that wanted to unite law and their concept of morality is a historical fact, but it is certainly not the way things ought to be – not if we are to have a free society.

Laws that criminalize activities that voluntarily take place behind closed doors are unenforceable. An unenforceable law is no law at all. Again, it is merely a suggestion.

drbrumley

Hmmm, Every crime needs a victim, not a potential victim, a possible victim, or a supposed victim, but an actual victim who suffers actual harm or loss. This means that over 90 percent of all federal and state laws are bogus.

drbrumley

Vices are those acts by which a man harms himself or his property. Crimes are those acts by which one man harms the person or property of another. Vices are simply the errors which a man makes in his search after his own happiness. Unlike crimes, they imply no malice toward others, and no interference with their persons or property.

Unless this clear distinction between vices and crimes be made and recognized by the laws, there can be on earth no such thing as individual right, liberty, or property – no such things as the right of one man to the control of his own person and property, and the corresponding and coequal rights of another man to the control of his own person and property.

Lysander Spooner

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hmmm, Every crime needs a victim, not a potential victim, a possible victim, or a supposed victim, but an actual victim who suffers actual harm or loss. This means that over 90 percent of all federal and state laws are bogus.
You think there's no victim in a case of adultery? :shocked:

drbrumley

You think there's no victim in a case of adultery? :shocked:

Sure there is, as I have been a victim of it myself. I wasn't physically hurt though......mentally hurt, yes.

We can argue for days if you want to about the differences in physical and mental anguish. Unless the victim is physically abused, property stolen etc....then that is not the victim I am speaking about.

drbrumley

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Laurance Vance said:
Let me be perfectly clear: I think adultery is always wrong. I believe it is immoral. I consider it to be a grave sin. But it is neither my business nor the business of government to keep people from bad habits, vice, or immoral activities that take place between consenting adults.

DrB-I agree with the above and just add that God Himself will take care of this stuff....I have soul winning to do, not be a moral busybody as Paull commands we not be and just live our lives for Christ...Pretty simple.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Let me be perfectly clear: I think adultery is always wrong. I believe it is immoral. I consider it to be a grave sin. But it is neither my business nor the business of government to keep people from bad habits, vice, or immoral activities that take place between consenting adults.

Was gonna ask you about something, but I need to ask you this first:

Do you think that marriages fall under the responsibility of the government?

Status
Not open for further replies.